Free For All Chat Thread

Never let anyone who follows right-wing populistic ideas hear you use the word woke! :exploding_head:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::clown_face:

11 Likes

I just remembered that right wing people used to say, when talking about so-called conspiracies “wake up, sheeple”.

Now they complain when people are woke.

Hypocrites lol.

10 Likes

Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.

8 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

There is no such thing as Macra!

9 Likes

I absolutely disagree with this. I think populist campaigns are an effective way of organizing people for change, and sometimes that change can be good. Here in the US, in our last presidential election, the two most progressive candidates both ran populist campaigns and I think most people would agree that their campaigns have had massive impacts on US politics and brought a lot of people to more progressive policies, and I think that’s very good. I’m also not sure what you mean by “empty,” but it’s certainly not true that populist campaigns don’t have meaningful policy behind them.

2 Likes

It’s probably not helpful to argue about terms that I don’t think we entirely agree the definitions of. Wikipedia says:

Within political science and other social sciences, several different definitions of populism have been employed, with some scholars proposing that the term be rejected altogether.

5 Likes

While I respectfully disagree, I don’t want to get into an argument about this because, to be honest, I will just turn into a raving lunatic, akin to a rabid animal.

I knew I shouldn’t have replied.

2 Likes

This gives me an idea for a satirical political cartoon.

You have Donald Trump and Nigel Farage on the right side, they are pointing at Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders on the left side, who are pointing back.

There’s one big speech bubble in the middle, they are all saying the same thing.

“Don’t listen to them. They are just populists!”

6 Likes

C-658VsXoAo3ovC

7 Likes

But my point is that they are not the same at all. It’s ironic.

3 Likes

I got that. Just saw a chance to use a silly meme I suppose :wink:

4 Likes

Wakes up.

Logs on to TARDIS Guide.

Sees the Free Chat thread has lots of replies.

Has a look.

Oh.

Politics…

:wink:

9 Likes

This thread is more or less a TG politics thread. I also think this is a nice way of showing what is great about this site. Everyone is so nice to each other despite it being a sensitive subject.

9 Likes

Admittedly, not what I originally intended the thread for, but I suppose any free chat thread eventually turns to politics.

(And it did earn me a badge. :stuck_out_tongue: )

I am glad discussion is staying civil, though. I’ve seen so many political conversations turn nasty in the past…

10 Likes

15 Likes

Is there ever a time when the “(They think quite highly of the Whoniverse!)” line on one’s personal stat page changes? The more I rate stories, the lower my overall rating goes :tired_face:. I’m at 3.11/5.

6 Likes

I think it changes below 3? Can’t remember lol.

Not sure if I should remove it, it was just a bit of fun.

Stat pages still have lots of work to do on them, I’m kinda procrastinating about changing them because it’s so much work. Plus I want to wait until we have everything on the site.

5 Likes

For now I like the simplicity of the stats page. Easy to understand etc. And I like the idea of filling the site with stuff and then we/you know where we stand with what kinda stats need tracking etc.

3 Likes

Fun joke for you all this late morning.

Why did Gabriel’s stomach groan?

Because he was hungry like the Woolf!

4 Likes

https://x.com/BBCArchive/status/1802948105723080828

Cool retro video of Bonnie Langford.

4 Likes