Favourite Season 2 Story

What’s everyone’s favorite Season 2 story or stories? Remember, you can vote for more than one.

• Planet of Giants
  • The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  • The Rescue
  • The Romans
  • The Web Planet
  • The Crusade
  • The Space Museum
  • The Chase
  • The Time Meddler
0 voters
1 Like

I had to give The Web Planet a vote, because although flawed I think it’s one of the most experimental and daring serials they have ever made.

3 Likes

The Crusade needs more love :blush:
Seriously the dynamic performances in the interplays between Richard and Joanna is basically unmatched in the entire Whoniverse. Julian Glover and Jean Marsh steals the entire story from our main characters.

And the relationship between the Doctor and Vicki is just so affectionate, spot on.
VOTE FOR THE CRUSADE :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

I do have a soft spot for The Web Planet but couldn’t quite bring myself to vote for it. I did nearly vote for The Space Museum - I do quite like that one.

1 Like

Whereas I voted for the Space Museum, as it’s a lot of fun, but didn’t vote for The Web Planet simply because I haven’t seen it. (Every time I start thinking about watching another serial I haven’t seen, I think about it, so I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if I do end up watching it…)

the-space-museum-doctor-dalek-0-5

3 Likes

Once you get over the fact that they smeared Vaseline over the camera lens to get a spacey effect, The Web Planet is quite good :grin:

(I know that’s not technically true, but it looks like it!)

2 Likes

No - that is exactly what they did!

I remember first watching this and thinking there was a problem with the video. It took me a little while to realise it was only on the ‘exterior’ scenes.

1 Like

At least according to the wiki, and TV Tropes, this is a myth:

Pop Culture Urban Legends: The iconic smeared look of the story was said to be because vaseline was glossed onto the camera lens. While that was a common technique, the actual reason is because a Neutral-Density filtered lens was subbed in, which are used to reduce harsh light in non-digital cameras

1 Like

Hmmmmm

I think I need to look back at the fine work of Mr Pixley. I willing to be wrong but that’s the first I’ve heard of it being a myth.

My personal ranking of the stories in this season:

1. The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  2. The Web Planet
  3. The Chase
  4. The Space Museum
  5. The Romans
  6. The Crusade
  7. The Time Meddler
  8. The Rescue
  9. Planet of Giants

Edit: I always like to clarify that my rankings are based on my current feelings and are very much subject to change :smile:

1 Like

I like all of these. I hadn’t realised how strong a season this is

2 Likes

This is probably his most consistent Season in a quality and as probably some may gather it’s also one of my favorites (Yes I probably made it already clear that I absolutely adore the 60s from Who). I enjoy Carol Ann as Susan but having Vicki in the TARDIS is such an Improvement, she brings a softer side to the doctor and I love how some of those Stories can be summarized as "the doctor and vicki do something silly, barbara and ian go through some harsh things). The Time Meddler is easily my favorite, Butterworth as the Monk is wonderful to watch! The Romans is a classic, no doubts! And the Rescue might just be the best Two-Parter out of the classic Show, superb and pretty underrated I find! Great Season, where even its “worst” Story (the Web Planet) still has its charm to it!

3 Likes

Planet of the Giants is an overlooked gem. The set/prop work is the best in the show so far. Jacqueline Hill kills it in this serial.

I’m glad that it got cut down to 3 episodes. Any more and it would have been very sluggish.

5 Likes

Experimental is the perfect word for it. The Web Planet reminds me of Experimental Black Box Theater.

I adore this run of stories, but I think The Crusade has to be the one that comes out on top. You’ve got a pure historical written by the best writer of the decade and directed by the best director of the decade, featuring two of the show’s best guest stars in the form of Julian Glover and Jean Marsh, throw in this TARDIS team and it’s a recipe for success!

It’s a really hard story to recommend though, it’s the one story of the season that’s part missing (I live in hope that won’t be forever!) and it unfortunately features white actors in blackface. I’m not about to defend the practice, and it’s definitely easier to say this being white, but the thing for me is that I can tell it’s done out of ignorance rather than malice. Saladin is presented as a three dimensional character, King Richard is very flawed with his childish outbursts, there’s no real bias at play here which to me is much more than I expect of the mid 1960s. You did good, Whitaker.

4 Likes