Favourite 8th Doctor Companions (Audio)

Who’s your favorite 8th Doctor audio companion? Feel free to comment explanations for your choices, but you don’t have to. You can choose as many as you want.

• Gemma Griffin (Big Finish)
  • Samson Griffin (Big Finish)
  • Mary Shelley (Big Finish)
  • Charlotte Pollard (Big Finish)
  • C’rizz (Big Finish)
  • Lucie Miller (Big Finish)
  • Tamsin Drew (Big Finish)
  • Molly O’Sullivan (Big Finish)
  • Liv Chenka (Big Finish)
  • Helen Sinclair (Big Finish)
  • The Eleven (Big Finish)
  • Tania Bell (Big Finish)
  • Andy Davidson (Big Finish)
  • Bliss (Big Finish)
  • Alex Campbell (Big Finish)
  • Cass Fermazzi (TV + Big Finish)
  • Audacity Montague (Big Finish)
0 voters
1 Like

I don’t feel super qualified to vote in this because I’m far from listening to it all but I just wanted to lend my vote to my two faves so far:

Liv Chenka and Lucie bleedin’ Miller :heart:

3 Likes

LUCIE SWEEP!!!

In case it wasn’t obvious who my favourite companion is :rofl: But I also love Helen so much and I am SO happy we are getting more of her and Liv in May :tada:

3 Likes

Big Finish makes some really great companions

3 Likes

Yes they do.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind getting some more Samson and Gemma considering they were in one Main Range story and a few Big Finish print Short Trips.

Through Big Finish, the Eighth Doctor has really become a favorite of mine. And when you look at how many quality companions they’ve given him, it’s easy to see why. I think not getting his own TV run was actually the best thing for his character. The sheer amount of novels, audio and comics that this incarnation has gotten over the past 28 years is outstanding. I would still love to see McGann get a miniseries, but if he’s stuck only doing Big Finish going forward, I’m fine with that too.

4 Likes

Like the predictable person that I am I do have to say it’s Liv and Helen, and if anything they’re almost tied for favourite. I only like Helen a smidgen more but that’s details, really. They’re both great and they balance one another out very well. Combine that with Eight and well… recipe for success if you ask me!

I really want to like Tania as well because she has a lot of story potential but I don’t think it was as fleshed out as it could have been. Which is a shame because on paper she sounds very interesting, and if they do more with her as a character in the future, I’d really like to see/read/hear it :blush:

4 Likes

I still have a long way to go with Eight and his Companions on Audio, but since I listened to a good chunk already, I do feel confident enough to name a few favorites. Overall, I do say Liv and Helen are a dream team with him. I still have a lot beyond me with them but from those Boxsets that I listened I enjoyed them quite a bit, their dynamic is a pretty good one! With Molly, I find myself enjoying her quite a lot, wish they did more. And of course I do like Charley quite a lot of thanks to a great Performance by India Fisher.
Looking forward to hearing more from Liv, Helen, and Lucie in the future! I do wonder if my views will change if I have their main tenure finished!

3 Likes

Whilst I love Liv and Helen, after listening to dozens of stories with them in now, I do feel like there is something missing.

They are both excellent actors and excellent characters, with consistently brilliant lines, but something doesn’t fit right with me that they just keep going on and on with the Doctor, from one terrifying adventure to the next.

I think I prefer companions that join, have their own story to tell and discover, and then leave or are forced out.

Liv and Helen just feel like part of the furniture now.

But I still do love them and want to hear more with them. I’m so conflicted lol.

(Disclaimer for potential spoilers - I haven’t caught up with the latest stories yet! Still on Ravenous, although I listened to Stranded as well)

4 Likes

I also adore them but I do agree that they feel a little stagnant - it’s almost like BF are afraid to do anything really wild with them so we keep getting the same old thing over and over. And it’s nice and enjoyable, but fully it is time for either them to have a big shakeup or for something new to happen.

6 Likes