Episode Discussion: 73 Yards

If anyone still has trauma from the sad moments of this episode, I’d like to share this video from DWpoop to cure everything.

2 Likes

Yeah thats what i thought too!
It was specifically pointed out that the circle bound person and the guy had the same nickname and were welsh so he definitely had something to do with that circle imo, and keeping it intact would keep him bound.
And yes the doctor still mentions the nuclear war in the end but… i feel like that’s because it was Just before the event that would make or break that happening(breaking the circle or not) and since they didnt, his memory would be different after that event maybe…
or something like that, i feel like that has happened in some extent before, where the doctor isnt always right/knowledgeable about what happens bc its a malleable point ? and we DO have precedent of the doctors memory of events changing too, right from this season and in regards to stuff related to ruby! (in space babies he remembers the church scene differently)

6 Likes

Sorry to say that everything we have said here is irrelevant. Here is the only review that matters

Katy Manning. What a treasure :green_heart:

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @libakary . Do pop over to Introductions and say hi.

4 Likes

For a second there, I thought you were welcoming Katy Manning to the forum and I got excited! Perhaps one day…

Anyway, welcome to our silly little community, @libakary :partying_face:

11 Likes

Still on the fence on this episode. After watching again and watching Logopolis. Sorta the watcher vibe going on. Ruby being half TimeLord with one heart is not implausible. Just don’t think we can trust RTD on this come up with your own conclusion to the story but knowing my luck RTD is speaking the truth. If closure is given later on this season or later, this will change my opinion on this episode.

4 Likes

Well obviously any critiques I have of 73 Yards instantly evaporate in the face of Katy Manning, this is just officially a good episode now! Thanks for sharing this that was really heartwarming to see.

12 Likes

I’m firmly in the LOVED IT camp. I can perfectly see why it’s divisive though and I’ve a lot of time for reading and watching critiques which go the opposite way from me IF they’re reasoned.

I put all my immediate thoughts, as always, in a video on YouTube (I’ll try embedding but don’t think I can ever get it quite right…) but I think this episode more than any other so far this run may need a follow-up one because this episode has stayed with me.

I think it’s very possibly my favourite episode in years…

15 Likes

To embed, you can just put the url on a separate line in your post. :k9:

4 Likes

Thanks! So simple!

4 Likes

No problem! Definitely does make posting youtube videos a lot easier then it might’ve been.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your video! I’ll check it out and subscribe to your channel! I’m always happy to follow and support fans who discuss and review Doctor Who stories :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks very much!

6 Likes

And @ChrisStokes is literally the only one I subscribe to with the exception of Toby Hadoke - a very exclusive club.

5 Likes

@ChrisStokes Just watched the video and I really liked your style of review :slightly_smiling_face: Just a quick question, do you only do videos or do you also have a podcast version? I rarely find the time to sit down and watch stuff on YT, while I always seem to have earbuds glued to my ears for listening to audio and podcasts :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks so much Bill, really appreciate it - no podcast version yet but I have been thinking of doing one. Your comment here may have convinced me!

6 Likes

That would be fantastic :+1: No pressure though :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always good to listen to a well thought out review - there are just as many opinions on Who as there are fans. It’s also why I love this forum, you can be sure someone else pick up on the little things that may pass me by :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Definitely do a podcast version as, like Bill, I don’t find a lot of time to watch videos but would 100% add your podcast to my listen list!

5 Likes

I third this! I listen to a lot of podcasts and your reviews would work perfectly in podcast form!

7 Likes

Right, that looks like a thing I’m doing then!

8 Likes