Dangling Threads in the Whoniverse

What are some of the dropped threads from throughout the Whoniverse that you’d like to see picked back up? Maybe they were dropped because of a change in production staff, or because an actor/actress died, or because a series ended. Any dangling threads throughout the franchise.

3 Likes

Feels like there are a lot of people that deserve a better ending. Like Liz for example.

14 Likes

Just finished The Scales of Injustice and it gives Liz a fairly decent departure.

2 Likes

The Minister of War mentioned in Before the Flood comes to mind

4 Likes

Okay here is another more random thing that bugs me. We never get to see when Harriet Jones is a good prime minister. They say that she leads Britain into a new golden age but we never see that. Just her fall.

10 Likes

There were also hints in Real Time that Evelyn became the Cyberleader in that story that were never picked up on.

5 Likes

The thing I never got about Harriet Jones is that Aliens of London took place in March of 2006 and she resigns in December 2006, during the Christmas Invasion. Meaning that “Britain’s Golden Age” lasted less than nine months.

4 Likes

She could have set things up that will pay off later.

But 9 months sounds about right for the UK.

4 Likes

Yes! What happened to HiFi the Panda???

5 Likes

I think the implication is that Britian’s Golden Age got cut short by/never ended up happening because of The Doctor’ 6 words

10 Likes

It’s actually hilarious to think the Doctor got so angry he wiped multiple incredibly formative years of a country’s history from time and there were, like, no consequences. Raises the question, once again, what even is a fixed point?

5 Likes

Again, sounds about right for the UK.

11 Likes

Out of universe, I think it comes down a combination of a change in Doctors and RTD getting the idea for having the Master as Britain’s Prime Minister.

5 Likes

Even in universe, Harold Saxon as prime minister was a consequence of the Doctor getting Harriet Jones kicked out of office…

4 Likes

Looked it up on the Wiki…
No Paul Margs, I will not accept that “HiFi” the Panda - Steven’s stuffed toy that gave him comfort whilst besieged by Daleks on Mechanus, and Iris Wildthyme’s animated, foul-mouthed, heavy drinking, cravat wearing “Panda” travel buddy are one and the same…
Pull the other one! :upside_down_face:

11 Likes

As far as dangling threads go, the Doctor told Susan he’d come back, and then didn’t.

In Face of Evil, there was an entire 4th Doctor story that had clearly happened there before the Doctor arrived that we never saw.

Honestly, Dodo’s departure offscreen is a bit of a dangling thread.

Adam Mitchell was left with that thing in his forehead that opens with a finger snap. I’m sure something had to happen with that.

And why on earth would Martha go out with Mickey?

8 Likes

In audio he did as the 8th Doctor.

No idea if that was addressed.

2 different versions of her story after the Doctor have been given.

Addressed in the comics. He becomes a bad guy.

No idea. Maybe too many bonks on the head while she was on Earth for a year.

7 Likes

This video will make sense of it all :wink:

5 Likes

The Martha and Mickey thing made no sense, honestly I would buy it more if it had been Martha and Owen who somehow had ended up together - they had decent chemistry together in Torchwood even with Owen being a walking corpse, but alien space magic could fix that - Elixir of Life or one of the ridiculous potions from The End of Time.

7 Likes

Even though I’m not the biggest Martha fan, she deserved a more thought out partner than Mickey. I think it was mainly a “How do we tie up 2 characters at the same time, and how about a ‘happy’ ending as this is a bummer episode” thing.

9 Likes