Comic Club: The Weeping Angels of Mons

Let’s continue The Tenth Doctor and Gabby’s journey with the second collection of The Tenth Doctors year one! This Contains two Storys:

The Weeping Angels of Mons
0 voters
Echo
0 voters

Please discuss below - no need to finish it first, discuss as you go along but please add spoiler tags for anything that could be considered a spoiler!

If you’ve previously read the book and want to join in the discussion, that’s great too!

Participating in the Comic Club will earn you a badge :medal_sports:

Has it been two weeks already? Time flies! I have to pick this up and read it :grin:

3 Likes

Read this a few years back (at least the first part), but looking forward to the reread

1 Like

I am surprised by the quality of this series. I think The Weeping Angels of Mons is the best story so far and is set in an interesting setting with nice side characters. And with some dept about responsibility vs. love and other interesting things. I also think that the art in this ark is better and that they effectively use grey and dark colors. I give this story 4.5/5

While there is nothing wrong with the second story it felt more like a filler. 3.5/5

I am looking forward to reading the last part of the Tenths Doctor’s first year.

2 Likes

I like The Weeping Angels of Mons and have often heard it cited as one of the best comic stories and a real highlight of the Titan output, but I don’t know, it just doesn’t click with me like that. Maybe another reread and I might like it more but its just in that kinda good category for me.

3 Likes

Yeah Weeping Angels of Mons is just as good as I remember, solid 9/10, I think I’m not as big a fan of this art style generally, but it does really work for this spesific story generally just being darker

Don’t have much to say other than yeah, really liked it

5 Likes

And yeah I agree on Echo, it’s fluff, but it’s solid fluff, I like teh way the noise is shown with different styles for the onomatepia, and it’s not something that’d really work in another medium (at least in the same way) which is nice

7/10

3 Likes

I wrote a review of this when I included it in my History of the Universe marathon and was experiencing all the World War 1 stories.

It’s a great story but I’m not a massive fan of the art style (to be honest, I struggle with the art style in many of the Titan comic strips).

8/10 for this I think.

2 Likes

Just finished this one. Here is a link to my quick review.

and here is a copy.

1.06-1.09 The Weeping Angels of Mons
A poignant and hard hitting third arc in the Tenth Doctor series. This arc doesn’t really pull any punches about the darkness of war, while keeping it relatively age appropriate. With a quick pace, but enough room to breath, this story gives you a sense what Angels could reap in a battlefield. The art is beautiful and well done, other than The Doctor, who looks nearly nothing like Tennent. Overall, a well crafted piece that tells a gripping story. 4/5

2 Likes

A quick read. Here is my review

and here is a copy.

Echo is a quick and simple tale that takes place over a single issues. The plot is bare bones, with just enough to get you to the end of the story. This felt more like an outline to Revolutions of Terror than its own story. There really wasn’t much substance here. The artwork was clean and pretty. Overall, a nothing story that didn’t add much. 3/5

3 Likes

While overall I’m enjoying this series, it does seem to be following a pattern. Good story, Meh story.

1 Like

I think that the second story is a little better than meh. It would have been better if it had been presented in two issues and not felt rushed.

3 Likes

It’s a meh to be because it felt rushed. Nothing really stood out to me, other than the clean artwork. If it was fleshed out, I might rate it a little higher, even though I think it’s a rehash of the first in the series.. It got a 3/5, but ultimately it’s forgettable because it was so short and rushed. To me anyway.

2 Likes

Read the first story again and still absolutely love it. The angels in WWI is brilliant and it’s just a really fun adventure. The art works well for me, even if it doesn’t quite look like Tennant, it still just works. And the end is sweet with the 110-year-old Jamie visiting the memorial cemetary, and the angel hand sticking up out of the ground is brilliantly creepy in the same way as the statue montage at the end of Blink. An absolute favorite of mine that makes great use of the angels. I could totally see this being a TV story.

4 Likes

There we go, finished the second story. It was nice, sweet. Is it very similar to the season opener? Yes. But’s also just different enough, and short enough to not overstay it’s welcome. I did like that the alien threat was very alien in appearance and not just another humanoid species. 3/5.

4 Likes

Echo is short, yes, but I rather enjoyed that. I can see the similarities to Revolutions of Terror but this one felt a little bit more coherent. I like the idea of the world being crippled by noise.

The hunter aliens were a bit weird in their depiction but not a bad little strip.

4 Likes

Alright.

With the first one, early on, well, I’m not the biggest fan of historicals or weeping angels. Pretty much, I wasn’t feeling it until I was, but by the end I was, and it was great. Really like the ending.

Second one… well, felt pretty rushed, and I’m not really feeling so much. Not horrible, just kinda average, and needed to be expanded out into two issues.

5 Likes