Comic Chat (Not Doctor Who)

We already have topics for sharing what games you’re playing, music you’re listening to, and what TV shows and movies you’re watching, but nothing about comics.

Because this may be a little bit of a niche subject, you can talk about DW comics, and comics from other publishers/franchises (Marvel, DC, etc).

So here you can share your favourite and/or rare comics, what comics you are currently reading, and just generally talk about comics!

19 Likes

One of my favorite comic series is Star Wars: Legacy. It’s a great story and when the main artist is doing the art, it’s amazing.

7 Likes

Great idea for a thread, I kept thinking it was weird we didn’t have one of these!
And god do I love me some comics

The ongoing series’ I’m currently Reading are:

DC Comics

  • Absolute Batman (The other absolutes will be on the list when they come out)
  • Action Comics
  • Batman/Superman: World’s Finest
  • Green Arrow
  • Green Lantern
  • Jenny Sparks
  • Nightwing
  • Superman
  • Titans
  • Wonder Woman

Marvel

  • The Ultimates
  • Ultimate Black Panther
  • Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Ultimate X-Men

Other

  • Saga
10 Likes

I do love a lot of indie comics, but I tend to binge through them rather than reading them month to month, for example I read through all of Faithless (an erotic thriller comic) last month, and Fine Print Volume 2 is also on my to-read list

9 Likes

I’ve been going through “The Wicked + The Divine” recently and I’m really enjoying it

10 Likes

OH I LOVE W+D

Just so so good

7 Likes

I’m currently collecting and reading all the new X-books from Marvel.

The X-Men have always been my favourite Marvel characters, but when I started getting new comics, X-Men was about halfway through the Krakoan era, so not really a good place to start.

I was really excited when I heard about the new From the Ashes reboot, so now I read all the new X-Men stuff!

7 Likes

Another W+D fan here.

Growing up I was a 2000AD fan, Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Halo Jones :heart: I still dip in now & again. & also read a lot of Vertigo comics back in the day, a lot of UK creators were involved.

I mainly binge comics every few months rather than read monthly but not really into superheroes from Marvel or DC. Image comics do some good stuff, Saga is fantastic although I am quite behind on it. Anything by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips is pretty much essential.

8 Likes

A couple of years ago I made the rather foolish decision to try and read Marvel from Fantastic Four #1.

I haven’t got very far and I’m fully aware it’s a fools errand but I’ve started now. I currently have Marvel Unlimited which I like but it is expensive. But I also know where I can read them by other means…

I use an order on this website:

https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/

According to the tracker there I’ve read 270 comics in total - everything from FF to Thor to Iron Man to Sergeant Fury and the Howling Commandos.

My single main take away from this era of comics is how appallingly sexist the stories are. I mean, Doctor Who gets some flack for how the female companions are written in the classic era but they are streets ahead of the crap spouted by Stan Lee and his like.

13 Likes

Non Doctor Who comics?

While I talk about having watched the Sandman, I read the whole series in graphic novel form long before that. I also read a fair amount of the Lucifer spinoff, and all of Preacher and Transmetropolitan.

I read Superman: Red Son. Remember reading some Harley Quinn comics. Read Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Probably a fair amount of other stuff.

Also, manga. Ah! Megami-sama (Oh! My Goddess!), Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Maison Ikkoku, Excel Saga, Hayate the Combat Butler, and I’m sure plenty of others…

6 Likes

Oh god yeah, Anime/Manga could be a whole other thread

2 Likes

Definitely, especially when you consider that while I’ve watched at least some of the animes of all the mangas I’ve mentioned, I’ve watched plenty of animes that I didn’t read the mangas of. (Heck, I’ve read fan english translations of the light novels for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, even…)

3 Likes

Talking of classic Marvel comics, a few months ago I found this second hand bookshop selling these massive Amazing Spider-Man omnibus editions.

They were in really good quality, and usually go up for £200 online, but they were selling them £30 each!

It was an offer I couldn’t refuse, so now I have these two massive books on my shelf that will probably take me a few years to read!

I agree, for example the way the character of the Wasp is written, and the abuse Hank Pym (Ant-Man) just hurls at her, is just swatted away like it’s nothing.

People complain about Marvel and the like going ‘woke’, but what’s wrong with that? Imagine if the characters where still written like that today?

And don’t get me started on the original Shang-Chi. (If you though Talons of Weng-Chiang was racist enough, then yikes!)

7 Likes

141 posts were split to a new topic: Doctor Who Comics

Doing my weekly comic read, realised I was an issue behind on Saga and my god it’s just so good

2 Likes

Saga is easily my go-to comic reccomendation

2 Likes

Just got some new comics!

The world tour concludes in the final part of the Dazzler miniseries, Major X returns in the fourth part of the Deadpool Team-Up miniseries, a new adventure in X-Factor #5, the Raid on Graymalkin crossover continues with part 2, this time in Uncanny X-Men #7, Thanos finally makes himself known in Phoenix #6, and the first issue of the brand new Laura Kinney: Wolverine series!

I’m excited to start reading!

5 Likes

I will not read it until the collection but I love Saga!

3 Likes

Also got some comics today, specifically Star Trek. Got Year Five which is basically a comic version of what a TOS fifth season would be like. Also got Warp Your Own Way, a choose your own adventure comic for Lower Decks

9 Likes

Not a Star Trek fan, but that Choose your own Adventure comic sounds very cool!

5 Likes