Audio dramas to sleep to? (Calm and relaxing)

I know it sound weird, but I don’t mean anything negative. I’m a little sleep deprived and lately noticed that some Big Finish dramas just have that calm and easy feeling about them which can reduce anxiety and stuff like that (I think some Fifth Doctor audios can bring that feeling, e.g. “Phantasmagoria” by Mark Gatiss and “The Kingmaker” by Nev Fountain). I don’t mean “boring” or “bad” dramas (I think both “Phantasmagoria” and “The Kingmaker” are pretty enjoyable), I just mean dramas that don’t really require a strong attention to details and have a calming effect on listener. Just Big Finish which is kind enough to let you have a little nap.

Any suggestions?

8 Likes

I often listen to Gallifrey: Spirit to sleep to, but I’m not sure I’d call that ‘calm’. I also often use the Iris Wildthyme audios because they are daft and very comforting to me, especially The Panda Invasion. The other audio I use for a lot of comfort is The Hollow King from Counter-Measures and now I’m writing this like this I’m realising my most top three happy place episodes all heavily feature helicopters. Huh.

Anyway actually calm suggestions, I’d still say Iris, maybe the half hour episodes from the Reloaded boxset most of all, or perhaps some of the daft yet lovely standalone Six MR audios like The One Doctor or Recorded Time

Then again maybe my advice should be taken with a pinch of salt because I used to listen to the Sarah Jane Smith audios every night for a long while and they are pretty much the exact opposite of calm and relaxing.

10 Likes

No, it definitely does not sound weird at all. I often listen to audios before I sleep and doze off midway lol. For me anything with a complex enough plot would do. I’d just continue next morning on my way to classroom.

I think any one from the first series of Gallifrey would do the trick. The plot is often complex and require a lot of attention so I get tired quickly. Before I know it I’m asleep.

Suggestion on calm ones, I’d choose Scherzo.

10 Likes

Are you forgetting the loud jumpscare in that one? :wink: That would be sure to wake anyone up again :grimacing::grin:

10 Likes

Oh yes! You’re right! Maybe set a timer to stop the audio before that :joy:

11 Likes

Scherzo? Really?

One of the most stressful and viscerally terrifying 90 minutes I’ve ever sat through?

With multiple jumpscares?

To fall asleep to?

You do you I guess.

9 Likes

Wait. Really? I remember falling asleep with it three years ago in a nice summer afternoon. It can’t be right. I gotta have a re-listen.

Ah I know why I find it calming. I can’t picture any scene in my mind while listening to Scherzo so I just see some sort of white plain and that’s what makes me feel calm, not the plot or sound effect.

8 Likes

I rarely listen to something to fall asleep these day, but when I do, I tend to listen to the first two Gallifrey seasons.

8 Likes

A lot of the Companion Chronicles make me feel very calm and relaxed—there’s something so comforting about an older Classic Who actor narrating a story into your ear. Stuff like The Transit of Venus springs to mind. Warm and lovely. And Find and Replace is my go-to comfort audio.

9 Likes

I’ve fallen asleep to The Lone Centurion a couple of times

Also Tropical Beach Sounds and Relaxing Seascapes #4 at least has very calm vibes for a lot of it

9 Likes

Now that you mention it I realised that I have fallen asleep to Companion Chronicles twice.

6 Likes

I don’t tend to listen to Audio Dramas when I’m going to sleep. It’s either comfort TV (ER, NYPD Blue, Red Dwarf) or OSW Review stuff. All on my iPad sat next to my bed. I’ve tried heavy narrative stuff, but my ADHD makes me concentrate too much on it and I end up not sleeping.

6 Likes

Tropical Beach Sounds and Other Relaxing Seascrapes

Just like being at the beach :sleeping::heart:

7 Likes

See, where Scherzo calms you is where Scherzo utterly terrifies me.

Only being able to visualise endless white with the slight, unnatural hum in the background unsettles me to high heavens.

7 Likes

Anything with a single reader will always send me to sleep.

7 Likes

I listened to Restricted Items Archive Entries 031-049 today and I think it would be perfect to fall asleep to, but I am a big fan of GDL’s voice so it was basically made for me.

5 Likes

All fun n’ games until the squelchy white liquid from a squirrel alien “mouth” sound effects

5 Likes