Audio Club: Red Dawn

Welcome to the forum @turnoftheearth - great to read your thoughts on Red Dawn.

1 Like

I know it’s not the same before the US members jump on me…but Jezek is Canadian. Is his accent really that bad?

3 Likes

Oh I am not looking forward to Frobisher’s accent in The Holy Terror, that really brings that whole story down for me.

4 Likes

Umm acktually it’s a Canadian accent :nerd_face:

I don’t even have an excuse I just didn’t read down far enough but I think this makes the joke even funnier :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

That’s what brings it down and not…well, to avoid spoilers, but the OTHER weird voice in that episode?

3 Likes

Well, that’s not great either admittedly…
But…
Yeah that accent really bugs me :joy:

1 Like

Halfway through this one and my review thusfar:
this one’s already doomed not to be much of a winner for me, i think. Doctor Who has a certain wealth of stories where a bunch of human guys in uniforms are forced into tense negotiations with a bunch of alien guys in uniforms, and those are always the ones that make my eyes glaze over. I’m also one of those filthy heathens that just aren’t that interested in Five in general. What does interest me is a story where Peri gets to be clever and emotive and helpful. i think she’s going to get me through the rest of this one.

5 Likes

I find it a great science-fiction adventure story. If Season 21/Five & Peri somehow took place in the late 1990’s instead of 1981 I can imagine this being an onscreen tale. /pos
I can thoroughly understand if the villain would get on people’s nerves though, they do fit into the “The Universe shall be Mine!” thing that Four mocks in Shada. They’re sufficient enough although I suppose more ‘fleshing out’ would’ve worked. How that could’ve been I don’t know; the character seems as detailed as the story needs or the character themselves would say. /m /neu
I will also say, I do have an existing liking for the Ice Warriors - or as this story rightly points out, the Martians, since ‘Ice Warriors’ is just a title given by that one scientist in their first story. The Martians here are more Curse & Empress than Seeds, which has been my preferred side to them than the others: it’s just more interesting to me. /pos
Five & Peri admittedly could be swapped around for any other companion pairing & some dialogue editing would be about the changes needed to retrofit the story, but since they are the ones in it, I think they’re done well. Certainly works as showing off the Doctor & Peri’s first travels. /pos
/g

3 Likes

I’ve just finished this (yay, I didn’t fall behind yet!).

It was really quite slow and dull to be honest. I quite enjoyed some of the dialogue but that’s about it. I don’t have long to write this review but don’t have much to say anyway!

2/5 from me!

4 Likes

Since @deltaandthebannermen hasn’t posted the Lee Sullivan art promo from DWM, here you go:

5 Likes

Ah yes - I knew I meant to do something! Cheers @DarthGallifrey

4 Likes

Quite by accident, I found another story that deals with the creation of super soldiers for Earth defense. Old Soldiers (Companion Chronicles 2.3) sees a UNIT project going wrong.

2 Likes

I’m on to episode 3 and I’m actually quite enjoying it. I’m also amused that I can now identify with Ice Warrior is Gary Russell and which one is Jason Haigh-Ellery.

4 Likes

Nearly at the end and I can’t believe no one has mentioned the music - very different but feels just right.

I know it’s not got a lot of love in this thread but I’d give it 6/10 as I’ve quite enjoyed it. It has very short episodes too.

6 Likes

Short episodes is a positive when the story is bad :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Those ice fellows were alright at first but they kept on blabbering about that whole honor thing and it started getting so annoying. Also because it doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Their whole idea of honor seems so convoluted and nonsensical. Betraying people is actually honourable because they were not nice to you before even though you said before that it was honourable of them to be merciful or whatever? Stfu stupid popsicles.

Music was indeed an absolute bop though. When at the start they land the rocket and the music plays it’s such a vibe. The entire play could have been terrible action sequences and people screaming but with those banger tunes over it and it would have been a better story.
2/5

6 Likes

This one always feels very quick to me. “Oh, that was all? It’s just over now? Oh, okay.”

It’s pretty solid, it just doesn’t feel like it goes as big as it could.

3 Likes

I do find it a little interesting that Big Finish decided to bring back two Classic Series monsters back to back. The first being the Daleks is a no brainer, that the second is the Ice Warriors and not the Cyberman is kind of interesting. It would take another 9 releases before the next classic monster was brought back, and then it was the Cybermen.

4 Likes

Rather than talk about this again, I’m just going to post my review here directly.

Red Dawn was a solid idea, let down by a combination of poor writing and an overdramatic acting choice. The basic premise has a decent amount of things going for it, and to start with everything was good, but about 1/3 of the way through there is a dramatic ‘twist’ that unfortunately makes the rest of the story almost unbearable. Mostly this is down to the way one character is written and, ultimately, portrayed. The overdramatic performance makes it so about 2/3 of the way through the story, there is little imaginary set left to chew on. There are little gems left here and there, but ultimately it doesn’t save this story, which is a shame because the Ice Warriors are well realised in this story. 2.5/5

Here is the link to it on the site:

2 Likes

Which character bothered you?

1 Like