Your Favs of 80's Who

Just curious as to which 80’s stories are your favorites! What do you keep going back to?
Any stories you actually really like that are underrated?

3 Likes

Recently I’ve been watching more McCoy era stories and wow, I really enjoyed Battlefield! It was a lot of fun

6 Likes

Battlefield and Curse of Fenric are really good. I also really enjoy the Happiness Patrol.

4 Likes

I mean Remembrance obviously, I have watched that one 100000 times and will watch it a million more times again. Otherwise, I love pretty much every Seven story, and I also really like Terror of the Vervoids and all the stories in Trial of a Time Lord

6 Likes

I love the Happiness Patrol, especially the wonderful wonderful harmonica laden score

4 Likes

I have a bit of a sweet spot for Paradise Towers. I find the atmosphere strangely compelling, even if “the best pool in the universe” is a bit of a letdown. I also enjoyed Vengeance on Varos, which probably has one of the best, if not the best, Doctor Who cliffhangers of all time.

2 Likes

I absolutely love Trial, my absolute favorite of all the Classic Who that I’ve seen

2 Likes

I adore the 80s!! My favorite period of the show!! I love how even when the behind the scenes problems are so turbulent and so paramount, doctor who can still produce top quality stories:) every season has vast, drastic examples of what makes or breaks the show, the most infamous example of this is of course the mastery of Caves of Androzani being immediately followed by the Twin Dilemma - and Colin’s my favorite doctor!

One of the constant strengths of the 80s is the lead cast carrying every moment. Each Doctor smashes it, whether in a bad or good story. My absolute favorite season is season 23! I watch it religiously :sob: but theres something about the crazy product of the show’s most turbulent period that I just so love. Also, the music! Classic who never sounded better than it did in the 80s, in my opinion!

4 Likes

I love Paradise Tower :red_circle::vs::large_blue_circle:

7 Likes

Hey, I’ll throw out a third shout-out to Paradise Towers, too! Lots of fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s (also) so much good stuff in the 80’s.

State of Decay, Kinda, Enlightenment, Earthshock, The Five Doctors, The Caves of Androzani, Vengeance on Varos, Terror of the Vervoids, The Mark of the Rani, Remembrance of the Daleks, The Curse of Fenric, Battlefield, Ghostlight and all the campy joy of season 24!

4 Likes

Just for reference, anything from The Leisure Hive to Survival would be 80’s Doctor Who.

I’m definitely going to say The Happiness Patrol, Paradise Towers, and The Greatest Show In the Galaxy. (Though, really, practically anything 7 that isn’t Time and the Rani, The Silver Nemesis, or Dragonfire.)

Vengeance on Varos, and maybe Revelation of the Daleks and Terror of the Vervoids?

And, you know, Kinda, Snakedance, Earthshock, Logopolis, and undoubtedly others. Only reason City of Death isn’t on here is that it was from 1979…

5 Likes

Right, I need to contact @shauny as there is obviously a serious bug in the forum software. Everyone keeps writing Delta and the Bannermen and yet their posts are producing the titles of other stories…

:wink:

In all seriousness, the 80s is my era of Who. Just hearing the three versions of the theme tune from this era immediately make me nostalgic (and I’ll often just close my eyes and chill as the credits play). Stories like Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol are meat and drink to me but then I also love the more ‘traditional’ fare like The Curse of Fenric. Terror of the Vervoids has always been a high point for me (those cliffhangers are phenomenal) and then there is Nyssa and stories like Black Orchid and Earthshock which are just superb but in very different ways.

The only problem the 80s ever suffered from, really, was a contigent of fans who didn’t realise they were growing up and wanted the show to stay like it had been in their childhood. That’s what lead to the spitefulness of publications like DWB. Thankfully, time has moved on and the received wisdom that the JNT era was utter trash has dissipated into the ether.

6 Likes

Well, you know, Delta and the Bannermen was implied in my post…

4 Likes

Enlightenment might just be my favourite Classic Who story, but also almost anything from the McCoy Era leaves me very happy indeed!

5 Likes

I feel like there’s very little 80s Who I don’t take to. In terms of stories I see as “underrated” gems, Arc of Infinity, The Mark of the Rani and really all of Season 24 after Time and the Rani (which is itself not as bad as they say!) and I’ll stand by Warriors of the Deep anyday regardless of its production shortcomings.

But I feel like I’m not super tuned in to popular fan opinion, because when you bring it up someone else always has a totally contrary idea of it. I imagine the Mara duology, Revelation of the Daleks, Mindwarp and The Happiness Patrol are all beloved and go without saying, but this time I’m covering my bases and saying them!

3 Likes

Time and the Rani is good and fun actually and this is the hill I will die on

3 Likes

JNT :heart:

I’m not going to state the obvious haha, but, of the serials I’ve seen, I also enjoyed Kinda, Black Orchid, Earthshock, Arc of Infinity, and (at least the beginning of) Planet of Fire for the Fifth Doctor era. To be honest, I don’t remember most of what happened during that serial. I also liked Survival and Greatest Show for Seven’s era. Happiness Patrol and Bannermen weren’t too bad.

4 Likes

Full Circle is a fav. The Five Doctors is probably the story I’ve watched most of all Who.

Much as I love Colin, none of his stories really hold much appeal. Used to like Mark of the Rani, but I find it harder and harder to watch. Vervoids, maybe? Colin really shines on audio, so his early Big Finish work is whete I’d go for good Sixie stuff, but of course they weren’t made in the 80s.

Paradise Towers is my McCoy choice. Purple Kangs are best!

5 Likes

:open_mouth: this is blue Kang erasure!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes