Which Doctor gets the best books?

The First Doctor would be my pick. Almost every book I’ve read featuring him has been excellent, and he translates so well into print - the only exception being ‘The Witch Hunters’, which I found painfully dull!

‘City at World’s End’ was a book that I was hyped to read from the moment I saw the cover, and it was immaculate. The First Doctor was just perfect throughout, and that’s why it’s also my favourite book of all time.

6 Likes

I’d go with Seven. Outside of the fantastic VNAs, there are tons of PDAs that feature Seven and Ace and are fascinating. I might be biased though because he’s one of my favourite Doctors.

1 Like

BLASPHEMY!

I kid but in all seriousness, The Witch Hunters is one of my all-time favorite novels and even ranks in my all-time favorite stories. It takes all types.

3 Likes

To answer the question though, I think just by nature of sheer number the answer would be Seven or Eight. But then you get into percentage of good to bad and that’s a different ask entirely. I also am not the correct person to answer this question as my experience with the books is still pretty limited.

4 Likes

While I am by no means the perfect Person to answer that question, I’d go with 1 and 8. Why? Well I feel like 1 is such a good Doctor for that medium, so far I didn’t read any bad ones of his. And 8 well thanks to the EDAs his life continued after the TVM and before BF greatly. While since the sheer amount of Books the track record in terms of Quality can be mixed from those I have read which is a decent amount, I must say I am very impressed and happy with some of those. Great Ideas, great Companions and an interesting Take on many Things later things would be inspired by.

6 Likes

I personally gave ‘The Witch Hunters’ a 6/10.

By no means was it awful, but I value world-building above all else in a good book, and I just felt it was somewhat lacking in that department.

But I’m glad you got enjoyment out of it.

Don’t think I’ve actually read any of the Eighth Doctor books - well, at least not in several many years - so I couldn’t really comment. That being said, I know one of them has the most amazing cover art I’ve ever seen.

‘Mad Dogs and Englishmen’.

3 Likes

Id go for 7 or 8, so many fantastic books for both of them. Also The Pit is there too i guess

2 Likes

Yeah, fair point, in general I like a lot of the EDA Covers, but that’s easily one of the best! Still need to get around that one, heard many great things about it!

1 Like

In the same vein, The Crooked World. Never read, deeply fascinated by everything I have heard of it and by the cover.

3 Likes

If you ever have the chance, give it a go, I’d say! I actually think it’s one of those that you can easily jump into. Not sure if you will enjoy it but it’s definitely one of my favorites DW Books so far.

2 Likes

Everything I’ve heard of it, it’s right up my alley. Might be saving it for a long while as I’m only on the Second Doctor in my big timeline marathon and if I do read it early, I’d have to find a hard copy because the new job (which I absolutely adore) does allow us to read or do other things while waiting for chats to come in, but no e-readers/tablets/phones are allowed on the floor and I currently am waiting to save up for a copy of The Dark Path.

1 Like

Oh, that’s fair! Hope your marathon is going well, being in twos part of the Timeline probably is a blast! And that’s really cool to hear!

I own the majority of the EDAs despite never reading any of them. Remember hearing from someone that the cover art for ‘The Crooked World’ was deceptive because it was supposedly a VERY dark story.