What's your Doctor Who 'ick'?

A safe space to share those things in Doctor Who that give you the ‘ick’.

No judgement.

For me…

Well, it’s the word ‘Whovian’. Hate it. Utterly loathe it. We’re Doctor Who fans. We don’t need a made up word and definitely not one which sounds so naff. Will never ever ever refer to myself with such a term.

Who’s next?

6 Likes

How do you feel about “Whoniverse” then? Like it, loathe it? That’s a part of the show now…

I’m not sure I have an ‘ick. I need to think about this and hear what some other people say.

5 Likes

I think we need a bit more direction on what an “ick” is

I find prolonged battle scenes to be tedious and boring? Especially when the climax of the story is a giant “epic battle” scene, especially in books where I have to put in effort to move past it

I don’t generally like continuity references. If it’s explicitly part of an ongoing story arc, that’s fine. If it’s subtle enough that someone who doesn’t get the reference just thinks it’s worldbuilding, that’s annoying but acceptable. If we’re halfway through an otherwise beginner friendly story and suddenly it expects me to know deep mechanoid lore, we have a problem. Even if I get the reference, I still get annoyed it’s there. Any time I consume a Doctor Who story, I have a little running tracker in my head of how well it would work as somebody’s first Doctor Who story, how much background info they’d need, and I get irrationally annoyed anytime something comes along and massively spikes it for no reason

3 Likes

All words are made up :sunglasses::wink:

4 Likes

I don’t mind Whoniverse because I can see where it derives from i.e. Universe.

Whovian? It’s just ugly.

4 Likes

And you’re point is :wink:

Well I suppose the point is that petty pedantry can be fun :grin:

1 Like
10 Likes

people have needs, even in slab form.

3 Likes

Just thought of my ick

“Dr. Who”

When people call the show that.

And also when people refer to The Doctor as “Doctor Who” like that’s his name.

No!!

I know it kinda was in the Classic series at the start but I think they were wrong lol. It’s not his name!!

“Doctor Who is required” …. :expressionless:

6 Likes

More than the start…

vlcsnap-2024-04-12-00h53m46s549
vlcsnap-2024-04-12-00h54m48s306
vlcsnap-2024-04-12-00h55m17s577
vlcsnap-2024-04-12-00h55m55s808

8 Likes

Eccleston was also credited as “Doctor Who”

7 Likes

from what i remember is that Tennent requested it be changed

1 Like

Ah, yes, forgot that.

vlcsnap-2024-04-12-01h04m20s398

4 Likes

Nooooo it’s wrong :expressionless:

Tennant changed it and now everything is right in the world.

7 Likes

we all know his proper credit should be ‘Professor ?’

18 Likes

So, it’s Doctor Who, then Peter Davison changes it to the Doctor, show gets rebooted, it’s Doctor Who again, then Peter Davison’s son-in-law gets it changed again?

16 Likes

It’s a Peter Davison conspiracy!

8 Likes

I love being a Whovian and watching Doccy Who so I can see Dr. Who travel in their Tardis :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

A little surprised nobody’s mentioned “Doccy Who” or “Tardis” yet actually because I see people complain about both a decent amount but for the record none of these things bother me

2 Likes