What is your favorite Ninth adventure for a Doctor?

A rough selection for NuWho, but a solid list or classic.

  • The Planet of Giants
  • The Daemons
  • Battlefield
4 Likes

Obvious answer for me, as Android Invasion is also my favourite 4th Doctor story anyway

5 Likes

For me it’s The Daemons, Battlefield, and Boom Town: 3 stories that really show off their respective Doctors well. I very much enjoy rewatching all 3 of them.

4 Likes

Boom Town, Flatline, Snakedance.
Flatline is probably my favourite of this lot, but I have a lot of fun with Snakedance, and the costumes within

7 Likes

This is the first time I struggled to find three stories. The Daemons was a given, but the other two needed some thinking. Lots of very generic stuff here.

Ended up picking Battlefield even though I don’t remember it very well (I think this dark torture chamber is influencing my opinions…) as well as It Takes You Away, because I rather liked it when I rewatched it last year.

6 Likes

Giving Boomtown and Flatline some love. I found Boomtown great fun, and Flatline genuinely creepy. It’s nice to see some people agree.

4 Likes

indiana-jones-last-crusade

4 Likes

Yea that’s the good thing about all these polls is there’s almost always at least 1 other person who has at least 1 of the same top 3 as you for that specific set of episodes

5 Likes

Ooh, so the ninth story is a weird one, copy that! I love a weird one, and there’s so many here I could vote for with some conviction, but the three I’m settling on are The Daemons, Snakedance, and It Takes You Away, all classics, seen them over and over. But it took some soul-searching about leaving Flatline off, which is a sincere favorite and has one of Capaldi’s most baller speeches, and I adore Battlefield, I adore Boom Town, and I even love the demented Mindwarp. The Lodger is pretty good, Planet Of Giants is pretty good, The Android Invasion is pretty good, never been a Love & Monsters fan, and I wonder how Joy To The World will seem next time I see it, I didn’t hate it but it also didn’t seem entirely good lol. The Abominable Snowmen is a good book! The audio is entertaining! I should see the animation.

6 Likes

Daemons was the only guaranteed yes here, I love it to bits, one of my favourite.

Decided to give some love to the 80’s stories so went with Mindwarp and Battlefield, although Snakedance could have easily been up there. Admittedly, Morgaine and Mordred are doing a lot of heavy lifting for Battlefield.

Brig: “Listen to me, Morgaine. Leave my world or your son dies.”

Mordred: “Deathless Morgaine, save me!”

Morgaine: “Die well, my son.”

Mordred: “Mother!”

10 Likes

xMysI_
:saluting_face:

4 Likes

“Flatline” is so damn good. It does what most Doctor-lite episodes, even “Blink”, can’t, and remains pacy the entire time. Riggsy is a memorable side character, rightly brought back in “Face the Raven”, the Boneless are a chilling, criminally underused species, and I love how the aww-ness of the tiny TARDIS disappears when it’s revealed that the Doctor is running out of oxygen.

8 Likes

I lowkey love the Lodger

6 Likes

Flatline (might be my favourite concept for any DW monster, and I just love its understanding of street art)

Snakedance (not as good as Kinda, but still a great turn-out from the Mara)

Battlefield (the opening salvo for my favourite season of the entire show)

6 Likes

Flatline, Love & Monsters, Boom Town.

If I had a fourth vote it would go to The Lodger.

If you can’t tell, I love NuWho and like a weird one too.

I want to love Joy to the World, it has a lot in it that I enjoy, but I like those ones more.

10 Likes

Planet of the Giants is pretty charming, but hardly one of Hartnell’s best. Snakedance is a great Sequel, but I don’t think it’s as solid as Kinda on most days. Battlefield is good, but lower for McCoy (it DOES have jean marsh so I was considering it regardless…) Oh and Boom Town is another one I quite like, but again not one that had much of a chance for me to be voted. I like Joy to the World, but it’s been too long since I saw it (it also probably ranks lower to all the ones I already mentioned above it)
Was thinking about giving Abominable one of the votes, but I don’t think it’s as strong as the Daemons (probably one of my favorite uses of Delgado in the Show). The other two were more easy to pick, it takes you away is another really strong 13 story and flatline is also another great 12 story.

8 Likes

The Daemons is a cracker, and Battlefield is an underrated gem, my fave from season 26 (I haven’t seen Fenric yet.)

6 Likes

Two of my choices came naturally, but I fear it may be a criminal offence neglecting ‘Battlefield’ and ‘Snakedance’ for my third choice.

My first was ‘The Daemons’ and I feel that needs little justification. A story with a very balanced tone, a nice finale between UNIT and the Master, and a great chance for Pertwee to inject a little bit of humour into the character during his masquerade in Devil’s End, even if he does end up playing the straight man to the villagers’ antics. It’s mainly sentimentality for this one that elevates it as a nomination, but I stand by it.

The second choice was ‘Flatline’. The Boneless are probably one of the best threats to emerge from Moffat’s era as showrunner, and I adore how little we actually know about them even after the episode’s conclusion. Putting Clara in the Doctor’s position was a great next step for their relationship and yet another strong link in the chain of events that dictated his arc as a good man. Some great horror capped off with a superlative speech – one of many, naturally – by Capaldi.

This is where I feel I ought to put my guard up. ‘Boom Town’ is my third choice. When I was younger, I felt like it was filler; I saw it as an unnecessary detour before the finale that gave us little besides a sequel to the first two-parter of the series and a rematch with a Slitheen. But, after several rewatches over the years, I couldn’t be happier being proven wrong. It’s a romp and a lighter story, both in tone and weight, that is essential downtime for the TARDIS team after Jack joined the picture; going straight into the finale without giving him some time to actually show his skill and how he operates in the new paradigm would’ve been a massive oversight. The premise may be a tad much (though that can be said for most Slitheen schemes) but the scene in the restaurant? The ugly reality of Rose’s travels with the Doctor affecting Mickey and straining their relationship? The aforementioned wonder that is Jack Harkness? It’s superb!

9 Likes