What (DW) are you currently watching? (Part 2)

Wrapped Destiny of the Daleks last night, and really enjoyed.

Interesting premise for this one with the Doctor and regenerated Romana (now played by Lalla Ward) landing on an (initially unknown) planet only to discover a group burying their dead and a spaceship landing in short order.

As the Doctor goes digging in the rubble they soon discover some archaeological finds are best left undiscovered.

As stated, really enjoyable. Lalla Ward shines immediately, Skaro great spot for a showdown between two competing robotic-based enemies. Movellans keep you guessing for a while longer in regards their origins. Genuinely found the Dalek ruins quite creepy having only rewatched Genesis of the Daleks a weeks or two ago.

10 Likes

That’s something I enjoy as well, although it has actually been brought up since, in Hooklight

6 Likes

What about this scene in The Church on Ruby Road?

DOCTOR: She’s going to say yes.
POLICEMAN: Who is?
DOCTOR: Your girlfriend - when you ask her to marry you on Christmas Day.

11 Likes

That is a great scene, and I haven’t watched Church on Ruby Road in a while so I may be misremembering, but I took it as the Doctor is only predicting (albeit very confidently) that the girlfriend is going to say yes, based on the police officer buying a ring before the sales. I don’t think it’s quite the same as the Eighth Doctor in the movie, where he apparently literally knows what’s going to happen to the people he meets. I might be wrong though!

9 Likes

Well he says it’s because his Sonic Screwdriver picked up the engagement ring and he worked it all out from that, kind of in a Sherlock way. But I don’t know, maybe that’s how he always does it lol

9 Likes

Well, since I watched three episodes in this Tennant era part of my rewatch over this weekend, and one yesterday, I’ll do some condensing here.

Tooth and Claw

You know, there’s very little wrong with this one, I wonder why it’s overlooked so often. It’s a pretty by the books werewolf story, an amusing possible explanation of the royal disease within the Doctor Who universe. The Rose trying to get Victoria to say ā€œwe are not amusedā€ I think gets old really fast, and doesn’t really work for me, especially in the scene where it really wasn’t the time or place for it. The quote is likely apocryphal anyway, but who cares about that, it’s a TV show. A bit frustrating how long it took for the female side characters aside from the Queen to do anything in this story aside from scream at just a man in a cage (seriously, why did they scream at just the dude in the cage at the end of the cold open other than to make it seem more scary) and be captured by the Voldemort monks. Also, if they had planned ahead for the werewolf with the trap and all that, why not stock the place with silver bullets? That might have been easier, or if they weren’t going to go that route, some explanation for why the traditional werewolf-fighting stuff won’t work, maybe the monks even got rid of anything silver in the place in prep, whatever. But the story itself, the action, the spooky atmosphere, the plot, how they tied in all the Victoriana, all the Scottishness, the wolf itself, and the introduction of how Torchwood came to be all just generally worked and was very enjoyable to me.

This is probably the first example of Ten and Rose being rather ā€œsmugā€ as it’s often put, but I actually think it works pretty well here. It rather intentionally shows how wrong it is for them to be seemingly enjoying everything happening while people around them are dying. And they’re directly called out for it by Queen Victoria on numerous occasions, but especially when she banishes the Doctor because she sees him as dangerous, and who can blame her from what she’d seen of him this episode. Otherwise, I do like how interested he is in the wolf though, and how he appreciates its beauty, as well as the ā€œbooks, the greatest weapons of them allā€ stuff is very Doctor like. Honestly, of the first three episodes with him, I think this one has used the Tenth Doctor the best. Think I’ll up this one from a 5 to a 7/10.

School Reunion

This one of course is pretty much a classic. I love the reintroduction of Sarah Jane and K9, and the whole thing seems to be a love letter to the classic series and its fans. The references made are an extra something for those who know, but to the new audience they’re not so important to make the episode hard to follow. I know it’s a bit of a point that started some minor controversy when Sarah reveals that she loved the Doctor, possibly even in a romantic sort of way, but honestly, I don’t think its an issue, I could honestly kind of see it even in the 70s when the idea was so far from their minds. While Four couldn’t be more aroace, and likely was never going to reciprocate romantic feelings, I don’t see any reason Sarah couldn’t feel that kind of a way, the two of them were very close. And I also like seeing some of the aftermath of the way they ended things, so sudden, with little explanation, in the wrong place, the way that affected her, adding more depth to her character.

Sarah and Rose competing and each getting jabs in at each other is quite funny, even if I much prefer when they get along. I also like on another level how it creates a little friendly rivalry between the classic series and the new series, while admitting that the other stuff was 30 years old and admittedly a little bit silly and dated at times, but also somewhat highlighting the ways they are similar. The scene when they both talk about the different things they’ve seen is a particular favorite of mine, and sums up how simultaneously similar and different these two series are.

The plot itself isn’t really much to write home about, but the story is really about the characters and the companions’ roles and relationships to the Doctor. That said, Anthony Stewart Head knocks it out of the park as Finch/Lassar. He’s just very entertaining as the bad guy in this one, a rather great get for the early modern series. The humor and the comedy works well in this, like the Doctor being unsure where to start in a class on physics, Rose as a lunch lady, Mickey being terrified of yellow rats in bags, ā€œwe are in a car,ā€ K9 still having a little of that sass, ā€œforget the shooty dog thing,ā€ etc. the funny bits go on.

This story does bring up another of my less favored aspects of the Tenth Doctor, the ā€œoh he’s so lonelyā€ stuff that shows up time and time again, this time with Lassar suggesting he must be. But I do like that it doesn’t turn the Doctor over to his side and he rejects his offer. There’s more on this in the next episode, I’m just not a fan of the ā€œsad, lonely guyā€ thing they do with the character. Though I do like the explanation he gives to Sarah Jane as to why he has to keep moving on, how with him being effectively immortal and his companions and friends all having such comparatively short lifespans, he can’t just watch them die all the time.

Really just a solid episode of Doctor Who, honestly. 8/10, bumped up one.

The Girl in the Fireplace

Lots of really good things in this episode. I really like the premise of it, the idea of this ship stranded in space, the robotic crew just trying to fix it as best as they can, and because the ship is called the Madame de Pompadour they think that her brain can replace the computer. I like the contrast and juxtaposition between the space age and pre-revolutionary France settings. The look of the clockwork droids is excellent, truly is as gorgeous as Ten says it is.

First minor issue I found is how Rose was so clearly unhappy and upset with Mickey joining the TARDIS crew at the end of the previous episode, but now they’re just completely buddy buddy in this one right after it. And given that Mickey says ā€œI got a spaceship on my first go,ā€ I’m not inclined to think some time has passed with other adventures in between. It doesn’t really add up to me.

It’s been said before, but there is something kind of weird about the Doctor meeting a little seven-year-old girl, and in the span of 5 minutes for him, he’s making out with her as an adult. I’ll give some benefit of the doubt as Reinette initiated it, and I don’t think the Doctor went into it with that sort of idea even in his mind. It’s just a little weird. Related, I never caught the implication before of ā€œthere comes a time when every lonely little boy must learn how to dance,ā€ and they walk off screen. Given Moffat’s use of dancing as a euphemism in his last story, is the scene implying what I think it is? I’m not sure I am a fan of the Doctor doing that in this case, considering major historical figure as well as the above. I’m not one who thinks the Doctor can never ā€œdance,ā€ but I don’t care for the idea in this context.

And, of course, there’s the ending. You’re telling me that because they moved the fireplace, that disconnected it at the time that the rest were destroyed, and he can just sonic it a little and it just works again? That seems far too convenient and easy and I don’t buy that it would work.

All of that said, I do enjoy just about all of the rest of the story. I like Reinette as a character, my favorite bits are how she’s able to read the Doctor’s mind in reverse when he’s reading hers, how she asserts herself to cross into the other world wanting to see it, as well as her standing up against the droids. I like how she’s got clear ambitions and desires, and goes out and gets them, she knows what she wants. It maybe would have been interesting to learn a bit more about her role in history beyond Louis XV’s mistress, but it really wasn’t the story they were telling here.

So while I like the one scene for Reinette, I didn’t need to hear about the Doctor’s lonely childhood, lonely this, lonely that. You’ve pretty much had someone with you for 900 years, your TARDIS, alive, has also been with you that entire time. Yes, you can’t really settle down and stay with anyone forever, yes, the rest of your race is dead, but you basically always have company. Sure, you can feel lonely while not being alone, I get that, but the Doctor has never actually seemed or been portrayed as lonely before, and I don’t think it rings true when we keep hearing from Ten how lonely the Doctor’s always been. I certainly don’t like that seemingly being a core, central piece of his character, I just get sick of hearing it.

I’ll stick with my 8/10, quite a good episode, despite some of my issues with it.

Rise of the Cybermen

Oh boy, positives first. I like the parallel universe setting. I like seeing Earth but clearly not quite right, Britain being a People’s Republic led by a President, zeppelins everywhere. I’d be curious to learn what different courses history took to make Pete’s World happen the way it did. Did the Soviets end up winning the Cold War? Was US containment policy in the late 20th century even less effective than it was in our universe? Did Britain just have a revolution and take out the Royal Family or something? I think we could have used a bit more world building, which you just don’t really have the time for in a modern series runtime, even a two-parter it seems.

The Preachers, I’m not exactly clear on what they really do. Even if I like Jake, Mrs. Moore, and Ricky as characters. Sure, they are rebels against the greater overdependence on technology and Cybus’s stranglehold they have on basically everything, I get that much. But what do they actually do? We saw Jake recording the truck where they were taking homeless people for cyber conversion, they have a van, some guns, and a man on the inside, but no sense of their actual plans other than wanting Lumic gone. Maybe the point is they don’t really have a plan or anything and need someone like the Doctor to give them some real direction, but if that was the intent, I don’t think it’s particularly clear.

It’s rather odd how quick the Doctor is to give up when the TARDIS lands in this universe with seemingly no power. Doesn’t even seem to check, just says ā€œwe’re in a dead time machine.ā€ Where’s the hope the Doctor usually has, or at least an explanation as to why the Doctor is so immediately convinced they’re toast. It is cool that it seems their ignoring of Mickey may be the cause of their troubles, though it’s unclear whether the button being pressed so long actually caused this or not.

Parallel Jackie and Pete are interesting. How many times does the Doctor need to tell you they aren’t your parents, Rose? I understand that she lost her father at a young age, but what honestly makes her think that such a different parallel universe copy of her father could really be an equivalent? This Pete is basically a scam artist that’s made millions off of it (ā€œwell it is popā€) regardless of how nice he seems at an individual level (of course, we don’t yet know that he is Gemini and has been working to take down Lumic this whole time). As much as this Jackie is so entitled, she’s perfectly within her right to tell Rose off for overstepping and commenting on a marriage between two people she doesn’t even know. Rose in this universe just being a small dog is hilarious, and easily the funniest gag in this whole story.

I see they’re falling into the Classic Who approach of ā€œoh, it’s this companion’s last story as companion, better give him some development and backstoryā€ with Mickey. It is nice to actually learn something about him, like how he lived with his gran, how his father went to Spain and never came back. ā€œGreat womanā€ followed up directly by how much she would slap Mickey feels rather dated, I think that would be considered far less acceptable now. And I like the idea that Mickey is just fed up with being ignored, overlooked, underappreciated with the Doctor and Rose and may be looking for a better alternative (even if they couldn’t be more obvious that this is the end of Mickey).

Ok, to the elephant in the room, just about everything to do with this version of the Cybermen. I won’t sugar coat, I hate the Cybus version of the Cybermen. I hate the way they loudly stomp around everywhere, I hate how overly mechanical they are with no semblance of an organic component, I hate that they gave them a stupid ā€œexterminateā€-esque catchphrase. I don’t like the way they seem to have Dalekized them, they gave them a Davros in John Lumic. Lumic even follows many of the same beats as Davros, wheelchair and life support bound, mad scientist who is a genius but putting that to the wrong use, sees his creation as the future of his race, goes ahead and does his experiments anyway when told not to by higher authorities then having the creation destroy those authorities. In the next part, we even get his creations turning on him in the end. It’s frankly ridiculous how much of Genesis of the Daleks is ripped off here, and I am one of the people who think that one’s great. Everyone looks stupid with the ear pods too. I do like the themes of humanity being slaves to technology, doing anything for the latest upgrade, something that still has relevance today, but wow does the 2006 idea of futuristic technology look quaint in 2026. The bringing back of International Electromatics was a nice touch, especially considering the similar way Cybus and IE were portrayed in their respective stories. The ā€œLion Sleeps Tonightā€ scene was pretty morbidly funny, with it juxtaposing with the visuals we see of people being brutally Cyber converted. But honestly, the amount they butcher the Cybermen in this story really makes it hard for me to enjoy the rest of it as much as I could.

Credit where due, Graeme Harper directs this really well, there’s a reason he’s the only director to do both classic and modern Who, he’s very good. I don’t really have any notes for Ten’s Doctor in this episode, I think he’s fairly good in an ordinary sort of way overall. I think I’ll keep my 6/10 for this episode, but I’m toying with the idea of dropping it to a 5.

7 Likes

Should share these in the relevant Television > TV Club threads. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve just finished rewatching The Romans, and this is still my absolute favourite story of Season 2, an easy 10/10. Everyone is on top form here, from the main cast to the guest cast to the design team to the techs - it all works beautifully.

8 Likes

Started it and decided I didn’t want to listen to it then.

Today I finished off The Big Bang, City of Death, Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel, Survival, Death to the Daleks, and started The Impossible Planet (but decided to listen to something other than DW for a change).

8 Likes

Watched whatever this is

It is not good. Feels like they forced Tommy and Daniel to be there and I see why :sob:

7 Likes

If its not too rude can i ask why you’re listening to them rather than watching? Absolutely fine to ignore me prying!

2 Likes

Just finished season 16 as I’ve been working through Tom Bakers run on the show. I’ve expected to get the fatigue so many people talk about, but I haven’t at all. If anything the further into his episodes I get, the more sad I am about the fact that I’ll run out of them. Tom is just such a joy to watch that even the episodes with worse scripts are still enjoyable.

So far 4 is easily up there with 1 and 9 for my favorite doctors, and I’ve still got two whole more seasons ahead of me!

14 Likes

Arachnids in the UK.

It has a reputation and yes it is the first dud here. Now it gets some stuff right, the subplot that Graham has is very beautiful and touching, those scenes are brilliant. All the companions get fleshed out a bit more, to varying degrees but overall I like it. The first 25 or so minutes are fine, good build-up with good tension and horror. I also like the final scene with the team being properly formed. There’s also some quite funny moments like Ryan doing shadow puppets, the awkward meeting between the side cast and Jack Robertson and the spiders being lured away via rap music.

But as a whole the story is not very interesting and there’s too few scenes showing many spiders so the threat level doesn’t feel as high as the characters said. A lot of the plot feels quite a bit fluffy with too many scenes of ā€œzoinks a spider let’s run away into a room and talkā€. Jack Robertson is not a very good character but he could be a bit funny at times. He’s obviously based on a certain person who even gets named… let’s just say hindsight makes Robertson look like a saint in comparison to that certain person.

The big thing I knew something about here is the solution and from what I had read, it seemed the dispatching of the spiders would be way more explicit than what is actually on-screen. Hell, it’s not even Thirteen who says that isolation would be a humane way of dealing with them and all we see is doors being closed. That being said she does go along with it and yeah it’s not a good decision, not that I’d rather have her shoot all of them. I think if it was rewritten so that the spiders were in some way un-mutated, or captured and then brought onto the TARDIS and left to live on some planet, that could have been a better solution.

I will say that I like this TARDIS Team though, especially Graham. The character stuff here is mostly good and that’s nice because the main plot is pretty dire so nice to have bright spots.

4/10.

11 Likes

Ed Sheeran???

6 Likes

Yes, absolutely.

6 Likes

Im suprised Big Finish hasn’t brought Jack Robertson back, hes the kind of over-the-top villian you could very easily use in the 13DAs

6 Likes

He would’ve fit right into ā€œRide or Dieā€.

2 Likes

I suppose you meant to write ā€œhasn’tā€ there?

2 Likes

It’s like music but there’s a plot.

1 Like

I’m watching the special features for The Romans. I just love spending a little more time with these stories, which is why I also enjoy the BF interview segments.

5 Likes