What are you currently reading?

What is everyone reading at the moment.

Sacrilegiously, I’m actually reading a Quantum Leap novel called Prelude but my last Doctor Who read was Wishing Well.

8 Likes

I tend to start reading multiple books at once, and take a very long time to finish them because I get so distracted and think I’d be better spending my time working on my website!!

So I have 5 books on the go at the moment. Only 2 are Who-related (although a third is by Rob Shearman - We All Hear Stories in the Dark - recommended). The Who ones are The Long Game and The Target Storybook.

I’m excited about starting a book club on here, because I need goals and deadlines to get anything done :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve been desperate for more 13 so I just recently finished The Good Doctor and am now a few chapters into Molten Heart. And planning to keep working through 13 expanded media so I’ll read Combat Magicks after this and then I think I might read At Childhood’s End.

4 Likes

How did you find The Good Doctor? I just realised I’ve listened to that on audio, so just gave it a rating. I really enjoyed it!

(I see you rated it 4/5! It’s handy having my site haha. I’m going to make it easier to see people’s ratings on the actual story page soon…)

2 Likes

I read The Good Doctor very recently. I really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

This is my review of it:

https://silenceinthelibrary863535436.wordpress.com/2023/10/09/the-good-doctor/

Think I gave it a 3.5. Was a really fun adventure and felt like the characterization of the main cast was all around pretty good and the new characters were a lot of fun. Biggest issue was that it did definitely get a bit too close to a “violent resistance makes the oppressed just as bad as their oppressors” type message that I didn’t love.

Just finished Molten Heart and I think I enjoyed it a little more. Minor spoilers sorta: The inside of a hollow planet is a super cool setting and I love the general vibes with the sorta corrupt government and never being fully sure who can be trusted, although I wish they’d drawn out some of the suspense of that more than they did. Also hate that in both books The Doctor and Yaz were separated for a large part of the story.

Fingers Crossed: How Music Saved Me from Success. Miki Berenyi’s memoir, singer & guitarist of the UK shoegaze band Lush.

1 Like

I’ve liked your post but now realise I don’t recognise any of the words in it :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve recently started the VMA Speed of Flight by Paul Leonard. Only read a prologue and the first chapter so far, but I’m very intrigued by the alien society that’s been briefly introduced. This is my fourth Paul Leonard book as I’ve been reading through the Wilderness Years novels in order, and his previous three were all excellent in my opinion (Venusian Lullaby especially, it’s been my favorite VMA ever since). I’m not a big fan of the team of the Third Doctor and Jo, but Leonard’s writing has so far been very successful at making me enjoy them, so I hope that continues!
I’m very excited to dive into So Vile a Sin once I finish Speed of Flight. The last two VNAs, The Death of Art and Damaged Goods, have been some of my all-time favorites, and they both seem to be leading up to the events of So Vile a Sin. It’s got a lot to live up to and I hope I enjoy it as much as I’d like to!

1 Like

Last year I rediscovered my love of reading and read most of Cosmere (A Giant Book Universe by Brandon Sanderson).
I’m reading The Rhythm of War, fourth book of stormlight archive, but I’ve also started The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, I love the way he writes.

4 Likes

Damaged Goods is amazing and very telling of how RTD would eventually bring the series back and how he would ground it in the Powell Estate.

I’ll admit to struggling with much of Paul Leonard’s writing and Speed of Flight was one of my least favourite. I know lots of people enjoy his world building but I often found it a bit impenetrable. The names in Venusian Lullaby drove me around the bend (if I have to think about how to pronounce a word every time I read it because it’s got random bits of punctuation in it, it pulls me out of the narrative flow).

But I’m glad the Doctor Who book range has such a diverse style of authorship because it means different books can appeal to different people.

2 Likes

Currently reading The Blue Angel of the Eighth Doctor’s book series, although I have put it on pause while I make my way through Tamsin Muir’s The Locked Tomb series (which I am thoroughly enjoying).
I really enjoyed Scarlet Empress with its shift to the magical realist genre and metafictional elements. Feels very correct for Doctor Who but especially for Eight --being sort of an outsider to his own series (since he doesn’t have his own TV series) his stuff has free reign to be about as experimental as it wants. I’m honestly kind of fascinated with him conceptually.
Blue Angel has been treating me pretty well, although I don’t think it’s going to stick in my head the same way Scarlet Empress did. It has just a bit too much going on in comparison I think. Love the concept of this series getting into Postmodernism. And I LOVE Iris Wildthyme. Interested to see where this one ranks with me once I’m finished.

3 Likes

Just finished The Planet of the Ood novelization, wonderful stuff! While I wait for my copies of the 3 60th book novelizations to come in im chipping away at the first Jurassic Park book.

1 Like

Iris Wildthyme is quite the character - have you heard her brought to life by Katy Manning at Big Finish?

2 Likes

Yes!! I haven’t gotten into her solo series yet, but I’ve heard Find and Replace and The Wormery. Katy Manning is always so charming.

1 Like

I’ve been working my way through the 8th doctor books for the past few months (well, years, but I take regular breaks to read other stuff), and I’m currently on Father Time. It’s… a lot.

2 Likes

I love the Locked Tomb series! I think it fits really well with the more faction-paradoxy elements of the EDAs. The Blue Angel specifically pairs really nicely with Harrow the Ninth specifically.

1 Like

I’m slowly working through the 8th Doctor books too (in alternation with the PDAs, NSAs and sundry other books). The last one I read was The Burning which I rather enjoyed.

And welcome to the forum NyssaUnbound!

I am finally reading the virgin new adventures, I’d been meaning to read them for ages but never gotten around to it

1 Like