Because TG is not supposed to be for anything that isn’t connected to DW or is unlicensed. It has nothing to do with “vibes”. Unless its a mod, I don’t really want to keep repeating myself in this thread because it’s making me look like some kind of villain who is against everything. I say that kindly.
This is one of the primary reasons I’ve stayed around in Doctor Who fandom! Not that I don’t watch the show or listen to Big Finish, but what makes me undyingly passionate is the sense that the property, ultimately, belongs to the fans.
I’m the weirdo who’s here for things like Faction Paradox and Arcbeatle Press.
Absolutely, 1,000,000% this. The dreadful-looking, almost-self-published “novels” with clunky prose and low resolution covers (that you feel like you’d find in a gift shop in Glastonbury that smells too much of lavender) have almost as much of a claim to “canonhood” as the show proper.
It’s a remarkably equitable story-world for one owned by a corporation. And to my mind that makes it a wonderful artistic force, in the same way as zines.
At the end of the day, the final decision as to if something qualifies for inclusion on the site falls to shauny (and staff members). Even the staff don’t fully agree on everythimg. Our criteria have shifted over the last year and will continue to shift. Some things get special exceptions, some don’t. We try really hard to keep as many people happy as possible but inevitably some people are going to disagree with what’s already on the site let alone what might get added in the future.
Hiya - Lady Aesc episode 5 is a crossover with a DWU series, which is why it’s on the guide (it’s got Coloth from the Short Trips, and Auteur from Faction Paradox). Hope this helps!
A few people have mentioned this I think so I thought it might be worth adding my 2 cents - T.wiki sometimes has a page about a particularly noteworthy fan work, and based on the rules around that and the discussion around the recent obverse anthology and the AVs, there are definitely some historically noteworthy, to the culture and canon of Doctor Who, unlicensed works without which the canon would never have happened, or would be radically different. (Please note that here I am using canon not as in “this is true to this universe”, but more in the sense of a literary canon - like, the catalogue of work).
Although there are edge cases, there are also some clear examples - I mean, we have the audio visuals for a reason. They fundamentally changed the way the Whoniverse works, forever, undeniably. Many of them have since been adapted into licensed fiction, and they are how many great whoniwriters got their start. Generally speaking, look for fan anthologies 90% made by established and prominent Who writers, and most of the time you’ll find something that fits this bill. Ace Jacket is a more recent example that, while it is too soon to say how it will affect Doctor Who as a whole, has so many prominent whoniwriters involved that you just can’t ignore it, and so may well become one such work in the years to come.