VHS tapes added to Collectables!

Do you do VHS? I just learned it stands for Video Home System!

For all the Who fans who have collected them, they are now all in the Collectables section, linked up to their corresponding stories:

And if you’re old school, don’t forget we also have Vinyls as well.

Please let me know if you spot anything missing. And you can discuss below your thoughts on the VHS tapes of old!

Be kind, rewind! :vhs:

13 Likes

Well, I know what I’m doing tomorrow.

10 Likes

I’m doing it NOW!

This was my early fandom. Going into the video store when the next two releases were on the shelves and taking them home to watch as soon as I could!

The artwork. The double packs. Shada with the script book. The two video releases with the same artwork but slightly different colouring.

Picking up my first ever VHS from Our Price - The Talons of Weng-Chiang because it had the longest run time and I wanted value for my pocket money!

Oh those days will never be replaced in my heart!

13 Likes

The TINS! I adored the TINS! And The Five Doctors Special Edition which came with the postcards AND The King’s Demons!

So many happy memories!

11 Likes

Where do we mark down “old blank videotape with a Doctor Who marathon recorded on it off PBS” down in the collection? :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Or old VHS where I taped Season 26 with the jump in the tape at the point where Ace shouts ‘This is Perivale!’…

Or the repeat of Planet of the Daleks with the short 5 minute mini-docs at the start of each episode including the famed Police 5 one about the Master.

9 Likes

I own the pirate planet on VHS and nothing else haha. Have added.

And I added my vinyls last night!!

8 Likes

I don’t own any of the VHS tapes anymore but I did tick off all the ones I used to own for fun. I do still own a couple of the tins- they’ve just been put to other uses.

It’s interesting because I can clearly tell and what point in time I started earning my own money. I was buying practically every release at that point. I can also clearly tell where I lost interest in VHS and swapped over to DVD. Some of those later releases I forgot even existed.

8 Likes

I debated posting this, but I thought maybe it couldn’t hurt to ask for some opinions.

I decided to go through my VHS collection today to see what I had and add them my collectables on site. Only problem is, the VHS’s I have don’t always match the ones listed. :laughing: I think this is largely to do with mine being North American releases, so the logos and very occasionally the artwork are different. Mine also lack any sort of rating on the front. Sometimes the differences are bigger: such as the sets that came in tins are just in cardboard for me (Man, a VHS tin would have been awesome!) or some of the stories that were released as Part 1 or Part 2 are just in one box set in my collection.

Now let me be clear, I do not expect all the regional variations of VHS tapes to be added to the site. That would be an insane amount of effort for a very niche section. I was just wondering what other VHS collectors did in terms of recording their collections. Should I just mark down the closest version? Maybe add notes for each one that’s different? I’ve never really tried to keep track of the collection before, so I’m not really sure what people typically do. :rofl:

Thank you for listening and any advice! It’s a lot of fun pulling these out again! :blush:

5 Likes

I have finished recording my VHS collection! :D For the most part I marked as “owned” if it mostly matched the one I had. There are some general differences including a lack of rating, different logos (especially the BBC logo) and sometimes logos or text will be in different places. Here are some of the larger differences for anyone curious:

Mark of the Rani: Strangely the cover art is mirrored for me, no idea why.
Trial of a Time Lord: I sadly only have a cardboard box, not a nice tin. XD
E-Space Trilogy: Hard to tell since the cover art on the website seems to be from Full Circle? Mine does come with an outer box with different art of the Fourth Doctor and the TARDIS.
Stones of Blood, Talons of Weng-Chiang, City of Death, and Pyramids of Mars: These all had silver bars on the top and bottom listing them as part of “The Gateway Collection”/“The Best of Tom Baker as Dr. Who” so they were probably re-releases.
Day of the Daleks: strangely this was missing the usual “starring Jon Pertwee” on the front.
Seeds of Doom: This is a single VHS for me, instead of two.
War Games and Web Planet: These were both single releases for me instead of split into Part 1 and Part 2.
Time Warrior: This was the only one released by Playhouse Videos, the rest are all Fox/CBS or BBC Videos.

Now we get to VHS’s that I did not record on site because I have a very different release that didn’t match, so I’ll list them here:

Revelation of the Daleks and Planet of the Daleks: I own these as individual releases, not a combined special edition set.
Attack of the Cybermen and Tenth Planet: Again, individual releases not combined special edition set.
Time Monster and Colony in Space: Again, individual releases not combined special edition set.
Five Doctors and King’s Demons: This one is a bit odd. I have them together like the special edition, but with the cover art of the solo Five Doctors release. I wasn’t really sure how to record it. XD
11 releases are part of large box set called End of the Universe. These are: The Sensorites, Reign of Terror, Time Meddler, Gunfighters, Ambassadors of Death, Mutants, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Invisible Enemy, Horns of Nimon, Creature from the Pit, and Meglos

Now most fascinating and hilarious entry in my collection. I have a 30th Anniversary box set: The Daleks, which clearly states on both the box and the VHSs inside that it should contain The Chase and Remembrance of the Daleks. However it actually contains The Daleks (as in the second Hartnell story) Parts 1 and 2. :joy: How this happened or why this happened, I have no idea! We weren’t able to get another copy to see if it would also have this mistake. We ended up waiting for The Chase and Remembrance to come out on DVD instead.

It was fun looking through all these again and getting them properly sorted! :blush: Thank you for listening to my discoveries!

3 Likes

Have to wonder what I had on this…

1 Like

I made a Doctor Who on VHS thread a while ago, in case anyone wants to share stories about these tapes:

1 Like