TV Club: The Enemy of the World

On Earth in 2018, the Doctor and his companions are enmeshed in a deadly web of intrigue thanks to his uncanny resemblance to the scientist/politician Salamander. He is hailed as the “shopkeeper of the world” for his efforts to relieve global famine, but why do his rivals keep disappearing? How can he predict so many natural disasters? The Doctor must expose Salamander’s schemes before he takes over the world.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
4 Likes

While this wasn’t the first ‘Doctor Doppelganger’ story, it feels like this is the standard that the others are measured by. And rightly so, in my opinion: Troughton really gets to flex his acting skills as both Second and Salamander, and its focus on him as a supervillain rather than involving any extraneous monsters (which almost feels sacrilegious for Doctor Who; how dare you not force a monster into the story, even though it isn’t necessary?! /s) feels like another early building block for the foundation of the UNIT era’s espionage capering and Avengers-esque narratives. While I don’t rate this story as highly as I used to (I once considered this one of my all-time favourites), it’s still really good.

13 Likes

:musical_notes: It’s the Enemy of the World as we know it… :musical_notes:

Great serial, and Troughton is really good in both roles. Of course, I did have the benefit of seeing it after the missing episodes were found. I can only imagine watching this as a mostly missing serial..

12 Likes

Just recently watched this as I’m making my way through the second doctors era. Much more gripping story than I expected from a 6 episode long political serial, it’s entertaining the whole way through.

Really loved the subplot of the group in the bunker, being lied to about a nuclear war, too. I think that’s a strong enough idea to be turned into it’s own story.

12 Likes

David Whittaker is such a fantastic writer—early Who owes so much to him. This story just works and is such a unique story!

12 Likes

I genuinely love that the show just decided to do a Bond film for the love of it.

An impressive, bombastic, wild ride with some genuinely fantastic scale.

It’s a real miracle we managed to find this one, especially since it contains what is probably Troughton’s best performance(s).

8/10

14 Likes

So glad this was found, so it shot up in people’s estimations! It’s up there with the greats.

13 Likes

This episode is fantastic, and Troughton’s acting in this might have been one of the most impressive performances of the entire show.

9 Likes

Love this story and I’ll have you know I loved it before it was cool to love it. Everyone used to rave about Season 5 - the Monster Era! And this was the strange, monsterless outlier which was only represented by an episode with a lot of the action happening in a corridor. But I loved that episode! So when the whole story reappeared I lapped it up. I’ll get to it soon in my rewatch (halfway through The Ice Warriors at the moment) and I’m really looking forward to it (and will come back with more thoughts then). But it is packed with brilliant characters - Fariah, Griffin, Benik, Giles, Astrid, Denes, Fedorin, Bruce and, of course, Troughton being utterly magnificent as Salamander.

12 Likes

One of my favourites, especially among the Second Doctor’s television stories.

9 Likes

Absolutely stellar, worth any fans time.

Salamander is one of the definitive 60’s villains and definitely one of the most underrated in the programme’s history. It’s maybe Troughton’s finest moment while he was the incumbent Doctor, seeing as he’s pulling double duty for the story. He must have had a whale of a time.

I remember being completely shocked at the reveal of Salamanders nuclear holocaust bunker, the image of him, feet on the table, reading the newspaper, smoking a big fat cigar, telling the scientists how awful the world above is, while funny is just so absolutely cruel and callous, a phenomenal twist!

Also can’t forget one of the best cliffhangers ever! Episode 1, do or die time, Salamander’s chief of security, Bruce, has found out where his “boss” has disappeared too. And just as he’s about to call it in, out steps Troughton, clad in slicked back hair and a leather jacket, coming out with that thick Mexican accent, “Why hello Bruce. What are you doing here, huh?” And Bruce’s face at the fade to black is just golden. He’s just as shocked as we are!

11 Likes

I hate to say that this one just doesn’t gel with me unfortunately. I don’t think I can rationalise it into any sort of takedown to counter argue people that love this serial, I guess I just found it boring, I don’t think the serial has a very interesting hook. It’s definitely saved to some degree by some wonderful acting but that doesn’t stop the whole serial from dragging for me

6 Likes

The Enemy of the World is Doctor Who doing Hitchcock, political intrigue and doppelgänger thrills. Patrick Troughton dazzles in a dual role, Barry Letts makes an action-packed directorial debut, and David Whitaker delivers one of his finest scripts. Dismissed for decades but now rightfully celebrated, it’s a bold, clever, twisty tale of power, paranoia, and one of the show’s most compelling villains.

Here’s my spoilery review for those who fancy a read. Thanks!

10 Likes

This was a “very good” 4/5 from me. Troughton really gets to flex his acting chops, the story was solid, and moved a good pace.

Here is my original review;

Well written and moves at a decent pace. Interesting ideas that are well realised. The acting is top-notch, with Patrick Troughton giving a master class. The costumes are great in the episode, with some neat variety and ideas.

(Yes, I really love the costuming in early DW)

8 Likes

I always felt so sorry for Barry Letts, he always championed this story as one of his best directed and always said Episode 3 (the only surviving episode at the time) was a poor showcase for the whole thing. Very sad he wasn’t around when it finally returned to us and got the re-apprisal it desevered.

11 Likes

This ep going from not well liked to being found and suddenly it’s me and my bestie and everyone loves her

5 Likes

What was once thought of the ugly duckling of S5, is now perhaps the most beloved one from it. Funny how things can change so drastically! But well deserved!

The Enemy of the World is not only an Outlier in a pretty fun, if a bit Base Under Siege dominated Season, but also is just excellent in its own right. Letts directing and Whittaker’s writing are both fantastic.

But the biggest highlight here is of course the Performance, in particular Troughton, who can really flex his Acting chops by playing both the Doctor & Salamander. The great Part of it, his Acting has so much nuance to it. When he plays the Doctor who pretends to be a Salamander, there are little and some major things to differentiate him from the real Salamander. And vice vesa. This alone brings it up to a new level compared to other Doppelgänger Stories in this franchise.
Of course outside of that our Leads are as fun as ever, the Beginning of Episode 1 shows it off greatly, and how can you not love the whimsy from Two? Jamie gets also quite a few fun things to do, and I do like what Victoria has here,Debbie is as great as ever. What an underrated TARDIS Team, really.

The Side Character Cast is one of the best in the Show’s History up to that Moment, so many with distinct Characteristics, and they do really add a lot to it. Granted there might be one or two, which didn’t work for me, but those aren’t too major and what we get is great. I in particularly enjoyed Fariah played wonderfully by Carmen Munroe. It was great to see that she had such a prominent Role in the Story. Similarly all the other ones do leave a strong Impression.

As whole this one has pretty much all major three factors in a Production going for it: Great Directing, Superb Script and even greater Acting. It’s such a different Story compared to what we got before, and it definitely laid some groundwork for the third Doctor Era to some small degree. What a wonderful outing, which is deserving of its high Status these days!

10 Likes

I just finished this one and loved it SO MUCH. Patrick Troughton’s acting is incredible , in the last moments I was still in doubt who is the Doctor and who is Salamander.

11 Likes

This is both one of the few >4 parters and 60s stories which I feel I can always just sit down and watch all of anytime. I dont even really know why, its just a great story and one of my favorites

5 Likes

10 Likes