Trope Talk: Black Holes

Meant to post this yesterday but our next Trope Talk topic is Black Holes!

What are your favourite stories featuring Black Holes? Is Omega the best thing to come out of a black hole? Is the trope missing any stories?

(And why is The Ambassadors of Death on the list? Am I forgetting something - it’s been ages since I’ve seen it!)

10 Likes

My favourite story with a Black Hole is definitely World Enough and Time.

My name is Doctor Who!

9 Likes

World Enough and Time, The Impossible Planet, good stuff

11 Likes

If I had to do like a Top 5 in no particular order:

The Ambassadors of Death
The Doctor Falls/World enough and time
Three Doctors
Maybe Horns of Nimon or Vervoids?
Oh, and Gallifrey’s very own Omega Audio is pretty nice

Lovely Trope, surprised it hasn’t been in Who or its spin offs more often by the looks of it!

9 Likes

I haven’t yet encountered enough examples to compare (I think The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit are the only ones I’ve seen so far, though I quite enjoyed them!), but I did recently find myself reading the TV Tropes page on black holes,, and was tickled enough by the Doctor shout-out near the end that I feel obliged to mention it.

3 Likes

It’s cool seeing 1963: A Space Race on there. It doesn’t evoke the concept of black holes much against its larger themes of other space stuff (like the moon landing and the early Soviet exploration missions) but that audio is an extremely fun listen overall.

3 Likes