Tracking Sets of stories

One of the key features of the TARDIS Guide website is the ability to track Sets of stories. Whether it’s a full TV series, a collection of books, or even short stories in an anthology, the system makes it easy to follow along and see exactly which story to complete next.

Set Tracking has recently been redesigned to be more intuitive and flexible, with new features and customisation options. It also lays the groundwork for future additions - like tracking Playlists. Here’s how it works:

Tracking a Set

Sets now begin tracking only when you complete the first story in the set. This is a change from before, when all sets would automatically start tracking. The new approach keeps things tidier—if you just listen to a single random audio, you no longer need to manually pause tracking for the whole set.

You can still manually start tracking any set by visiting its page and toggling “Tracking Set.”

(Repeat tracking will be covered elsewhere. It works almost identically - and now appears alongside your other tracked sets. Repeat Tracking is available to Patrons only.)

Once tracking begins, it starts from the first story in the set - or, if you’ve previously tracked and paused it, it picks up right where you left off.

Completing a story

When you finish a story, click the large “Complete & Rate” button in the tracker:

This instantly marks the story as complete and opens a pop-up where you can leave a rating and choose your next steps:

Whether you rate it or not, once you close the pop-up, the tracker automatically moves on to the next story so you can continue straight away. The “More Actions” button offers extra options:

From there, you can return to the previous story (to repeat or review it later), skip ahead, view the Set page, or read reviews for the current story.

There’s also a new “Jump to…” menu. Clicking it opens a pop-up showing every story in the Set, allowing you to jump backwards or forwards with ease:

This view is scrollable, with a tick mark next to every completed story and a highlight for your current position.

Repeating a story

Previously, if you’d already repeated a story, the tracker would skip over it. Now, it still appears, giving you the option to repeat or skip it. Click “Repeat or Skip” to open this pop-up:

Here, you can update your rating (your full rating history is saved and will soon be viewable), log another repeat, or move on to the next story.

Customisation

The new Set Tracker is more customisable than ever. Click “Customise” at the top of the tracker, or go to My Account Settings → Customisation to adjust these options:

Sort Sets

You can sort sets by default (most recently modified at the top) or reverse the order so the newest appears at the bottom.

Patrons can also select “Custom Sort Order,” allowing them to drag and drop sets into any order they prefer - this layout stays fixed.

Automatically move new releases to the top

Tick this box to automatically move any set with a new story to the top of your list. It’s a simple way to make sure you don’t miss new releases.

Maximum Sets to show

By default, 4 sets are shown, with a button to load more. You can now change how many sets appear by default - if you set a number higher than your total tracked sets, the “Show More” button won’t appear at all.

Track Repeats separately

You can also opt to have your repeats show in a separate section, rather than be mixed in with the other Sets.


That’s all there is to know about tracking sets! If you have any questions please post below.

39 Likes

Love this! I have it set to 100 to allways show everything :grinning_face:

6 Likes

The best site on the internet keeps getting better.

10 Likes

I have a question: there are some sets that I don’t want clogging up my set tracking all the time, for example Fugitive Doctor because I’ve listened to them all and I’m not planning a relisten any time soon. But if I unfollow the set, will it now still show a new story if/when one comes out on my tracking list?

8 Likes

It’s very satisfying having all my tracked stories together, including repeats.

6 Likes

Such a great feature. It does what it did before, but better. Like @100thDoctor said, it’s great to have new stories and repeats together, and the fact that you can customise things too makes tracking even more intuitive for one’s personal preferences. I also love the pop-up when you complete a story.

6 Likes

Sorry, I might be being stupid, but how do I get rid of a set from my homepage? The old way you could do it easily, now I can’t find how to unfollow a set, and it doesn’t seem to be in your post at all. I don’t want useless sets clogging up my page.

2 Likes

If you’re tracking it but you’ve completed it all then it shouldn’t appear in the Set tracker, but should pop up new items when they are released.

If you’re still seeing the last item in the set even though you’ve completed it that may be a bug. Can you “repeat” the last item? That should clear it (you can delete the repeat from your diary)

4 Likes

Toggle “Tracking Set” to off, by clicking it again. Sorry if that wasn’t clear!

3 Likes

Now that you mention this, I have a similar situation. Dark Gallifrey shows up on my tracker (showing the first story), even though I’ve completed all of the stories and haven’t repeated any of them.

4 Likes

That did work - it gave me a repeat error message though ‘could not log repeat’ or something (sorry I forgot to screenshot it), but then when I refreshed the set was gone and it has put the repeats in my diary

3 Likes

I have fixed an issue that was causing complete/repeat to be super slow.

6 Likes

Is there a way to like not have repeats show up in my set tracker cause atm my tracker just looks messy with like repeats showing at the top and the sets I’m actually tracking underneath them

And some of the stuff I’ve already rated and reviewed life daft dimension is popping up with strip 1 but isn’t saying repeat so if there’s a way to just not have repeats in the set tracker let me know how I can edit that or if there’s a plan to have it as a feature

2 Likes

It’s very useful that the “Jump to…” list shows whether I completed a story, yet also a bit confusing because there are rather a lot of stories I completed in another variation. For example, the audiobooks. Can you make it also show that “completed in variation” icon on this list? @shauny

5 Likes

Yeah I second this it’s saying that I’ve done clockwise man for example

But I haven’t

So it must be the audiobook right…

I’ve not done that either so I think this feature just needs a few things ironed out

2 Likes

Yay! Just saw this after logging Planet of Evil (and being pleasantly surprised by the fact that the tracker didn’t automatically skip Pyramids of Mars), and was looking for the thread to say how much I love this update.

5 Likes

This is just how the migration worked - all Repeats got taken to the top. They will be sorted out as you carry on tracking things, they will naturally move down if you’re not using them.

I may add an option for Repeats to show in their own section again like it did before, if enough people want that.

(But I did just notice that repeats shouldn’t show for you at all because you’re no longer a Patron - that is now fixed!)

That might be because of how it was being tracked before, the migration wasn’t perfect. But you can easily just jump to a different part of the Set. Or turn off tracking.

Good idea, I’ll look into that.

It’s not saying that you’ve done that. That was a ‘repeat’ of the set which allows for things that you skipped over last time. Anyway, that is removed from your list now.

7 Likes

I’d like that! I track too many sets so it helped me a lot when new sets and repeats have separate sections

4 Likes

So, question: I currently have several sets in my tracking list that I assume are left over from the old auto-tracking system, but where I did not complete the first work and have not been actively working through the set. (I’m just lazy and didn’t bother untracking them.)

If I untrack that set now, but then at some point in the future I go back and do complete the first work in the set, will it automatically start re-tracking or would I need to manually turn it back on at that point?

(Feel free to let me know if this explanation makes zero sense. :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

I just tried it and no it won’t start auto-tracking again if you’d previously stopped tracking it (which was a complaint about the old system), even if you complete the first one.

4 Likes