Thoughts on Hebe Harrison?

What are peoples thoughts on the newest Sixth Doctor companion: Hebe Harrison (Ruth Madeley)? I’ve seen a lot of dislike for the character in the Facebook group I’m in and, while I didn’t necessarily really like her, I don’t dislike her. (For context, I’ve only listened to her first boxset: Water Worlds.)

1 Like

She’s fine, I suppose. I’ve only listened to her first two box sets, and though she works well with Mel, I wish Big Finish would’ve done something different when they gave Six a new companion. Her overall characterization (read: personality, educational goals, gender) has been done already for a number of his companions.

2 Likes

I like her! I also have only listened to Water Worlds, but it was a highly enjoyable boxset, and also the first time I feel like an audio drama has recaptured the infectious 6 & Mel chemistry from Vervoids that made them an immediate favorite team for me.

1 Like

If you liked / didn’t dislike her in Water Worlds, that’s great, as she becomes more relateable once she has settled in with Mel & the Doctor & starts to become less defensive. Personally I found Water Worlds the weakest of the four sets - not that it was bad, just mid - too much water all in one set basically - & I actually enjoyed the Interlude story better than the three main stories & Hebe was portrayed as a more well-rounded character in it too.

1 Like

I think she’s really fun! I had no idea there were a lot of people who disliked her? The reason I listened to Water Worlds was because I had some friends who were gushing about Hebe, and I’ve listened to all her stories now and I do really like her. I liked Water Worlds overall and think it was good as an introduction but there’s definitely better stories for that TARDIS team in the later sets.

5 Likes

She’s great.

2 Likes

Finally finished the entire Purity series. There were some stories I liked, but I wasn’t a big fan of the story in general; I thought it overstayed its welcome (amongst other criticisms).

3 Likes

I like her! I think she’s a great companion and Ruth Madely plays her with aplomb. I just wish she wasn’t literally erased from time for a quarter of an arc. Honestly, the Purity arc just outstayed its welcome and ended up writing itself into a corner. I’m glad we had it, but it didn’t need to be as big an arc as it was.

2 Likes

I haven’t listened to it yet but I did find it odd that they introduced a new companion, and one who was in a in a wheelchair, and then erased her from time as part of the story. It just seems an odd thing to do with a brand new character you want your audience to engage with and who is surely going to help positive representation for people with disabilities.

2 Likes

I seem to recall from the behind the scenes that that choice was deliberate — reflecting the real-life erasure of disabled people from society. Jac Rayner (who herself is disabled) spoke quite a lot on the extras that her aim in creating the Purity saga was to create a series arc all about disability and the importance of the character of Hebe. The erasure struck me as quite a powerful moment from a metaphorical perspective. That being said, it’s possible actor availability influenced events — boxset 3 was recorded some time after boxset 4, and it’s possible Ruth Madeley had other commitments.

2 Likes

As I say, I haven’t listened and you may well be right. I hadn’t realised Rayner had a disability.

1 Like

I understand Rayner’s intentions (I didn’t realize Purity was her idea), but I don’t think it should’ve been more than a single-audio storyline. I would’ve rather they let Hebe act as a normal companion doing normal companion things instead of releasing four box sets about that focus on nothing but her disability (which, if I recall correctly, was something Hebe herself said she didn’t like). If the character had a different marginalized label, the same thing would apply—let them go about their life as a companion without making numerous sets that whittle them down into nothing but the -isms they experience.

4 Likes

I think I agree with you on that. It’s such a complex topic, but I do appreciate the production team’s attempt.

I think looking back on this range, I would have preferred more disabled people among the writers as well as the cast. I would have to relisten to determine the arc’s effectiveness at doing justice to both Hebe and the topic of disability—but as I said, I appreciate the effort.

3 Likes

As I’ve been saying in the controversial opinion thread, I think we should all try harder but accept that no one is going to get it all right straight away. Society is on a massive learning curve at the moment moreso than I think I’ve ever seen before.

8 Likes

Excellently put. <3

2 Likes