There is no such thing as Macra!

We’ve now watched both Macra-featuring television stories in TV Club and read along with the Macra Find Your Fate book, so it seems a good time to find out which Macra stories are people’s favourites, talk about the gas-guzzling crabs with the deep, sonorous voices and maybe even suggest what else you’d like to see them do in the show.

Which is your favourite story:

  • The Macra Terror
  • The Macra Terror (narrated by Colin Baker)
  • The Macra Terror (narrated by Frazer Hines)
  • The Macra Terror Animation
  • The Macra Terror Novelisation
  • Gridlock
  • Claws of the Macra
  • Surfshock
  • The Multi-Faceted War
0 voters
4 Likes

Really love The Macra Terror animation, one of my fave Troughton stories. Surprised to learn BF haven’t used them!

4 Likes

Why did you create an empty thread??? There’s nothing here???

10 Likes

The animation of Macra is my favourite Macra story. I also chose Gridlock because it is really good, but I don’t see it as a Macra story.

4 Likes

Picky picky picky

3 Likes

Just out of interest, why are there two narrated versions of it?

2 Likes

The original version was released on cassette and had Colin Baker narrating (the first five soundtrack releases all had a Doctor narrating). It was the first time I ever listened to the soundtrack and I loved it. It was then re-released in the CD range with Frazer Hines narrating when they’d moved over to having a relevant companion actor on duty.

6 Likes

I do like Macra, even if it doesn’t exist.
Of course the titular Story, that doesn’t exist, is great.
Especially its animation!

And while I do like them in Gridlock, I don’t feel all that strongly about them there. It’s a nice fun addition, but not necessarily one that was fully needed, still don’t think it does anything wrong with them.

I don’t think they need to return again on TV honestly, if somebody comes up with a great Idea for BF and or TV, then I am only happy to see it, but I don’t think they have the certain flair to be a somewhat semi-returning Monster like other Classic Who Beings. Don’t remember their Appearances in those Comic strips all that well, so no comment on those from me!

7 Likes

Explain to me how the titular story cannot exist, but the animation can? That makes no sense to me!

I also love the animated version of The Terror, but rewatching Gridlock reminded me of how fun their appearance in that story is.

It’s actually surprising that they’ve been featured so little in any Who media!

6 Likes

Never heard of the missing episodes? :wink:

5 Likes

Doctor Who vs Giant Crabs. What’s not to love?

5 Likes

One thing I think is interesting is how people are saying that Gridlock isn’t really a Macra story but here’s a thought.

Both The Macra Terror and Gridlock are dystopian stories of a sort. The Macra Terror is a 1984-esque situation with a populace that is under secret control and forced happiness. No one knows the truth of what is really happening.

Gridlock also has a populace who don’t really know what is happening and have come to accept the situation they are in regardless of how ridiculous is actually is. Outsiders come into both worlds and disrupt the status quo, eventually releasing the ordinary people into a world of freedom.

I think what the few other stories with the Macra haven’t tapped into is the dystopian element related to them. Certainly The Claws of the Macra has them as ‘just another monster’.

Their use in The Multi-Faceted War is actually rather interesting, tying them into the Time Lord war against the Great Vampires and it is a story I would encourage people to seek out.

8 Likes

A nice little video about the Macra:

Another great video from @JoshSnares

Some fascinating detective work from David Gillespie-Pratt

4 Likes

Oh and this is fun:

2 Likes

@DanTheMan2150AD 's video are always worth a watch:

3 Likes

Oh, loads of interesting videos to watch when I have the time!

1 Like

I’ve just watched Genesis of the Macra - it’s a cute little fan video made with Character Options figures. 13 travelling with Romana and a Zygon! They meet a scientist who is a Jagaroth and it turns out that - spoilers - he has genetically engineered the Macra!

And do you want to know why? Because he fell through a crack in time and ended up on Earth and fell in love with petrol cars. He doesn’t want them replaced by electric cars so to stop them being phased out he’s created the Macra to consume the car fumes and therefore negate the environmental damage of petrol cars!

It’s insane but brilliant! Kudos to the person behind it and it’s actually pretty well filmed.

5 Likes

Wtf is macra sounds made up. Fake stories not real.

4 Likes