There Goes Tokyo! - A Godzilla / Kaiju Thread

Plus, the only G film to ever be released in a ‘zero’ year, so to speak; Godzilla vs. Megaguirus!

3 Likes

So, the list goes;

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
plus… Godzilla Minus One (2023)!!

2 Likes

Pretty much what you’d expect from a Godzilla movie written and co-directed by the creator of Evangelion. In other words, this rocks

3 Likes

Minus Zero is out this year, correct? Or am I off on that?

3 Likes

They confirmed the release date to be November 6th 2026

3 Likes

GODZILLA MINUS ZERO TEASER TRAILER!!!

(A bit late, I know…)

6 Likes

Decided today that I’m going to try and watch all the major Godzilla films before Minus Zero comes out in November, so that’s all of them from the Showa, Heisei and Millennium eras, and then a few others including the recent Hollywood ones
I’ve already seen a good few of them so I’ll be able to pace myself throughout the year hopefully

6 Likes

Wonderful idea! Keep in mind, most of them aren’t great but, instead, are just fun.

4 Likes

Thought I’d give an update as to my progress on this, I’ve created a list of 63 Godzilla/kaiju films I wanna watch before Minus Zero comes out, of which I’d already seen a few

Since I began this quest I’ve watched
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (1964)
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017)

That marks 17/63 films completed, on my list which contains a bit of everything from Godzilla to Gamera and The Rebirth of Mothra, but tonight I’ll be watching Invasion of the Astro-Monster

4 Likes

Another update on my year long Godzilla marathon progress: since my last update I’ve watched
Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla (1998 (surprisingly underrated))
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)

My local independent cinema also held its yearly all day Godzilla marathon yesterday, and this years films were
Godzilla (1954)
Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001 (now in my top three Godzilla films of all time))
Seriously watching seven hours of Godzilla films in one day with an audience might have been one of the best days of my life

I’m constantly adding to the list of films I wanna watch by the end of the year, the most recent additions being some of the older Toho kaiju films like Atragon, Rodan and Frankenstein Conquers the World. I’m currently 1/3 of the way done with 24/72 films watched

5 Likes

Currently re-watching Godzilla vs. Biollante (one of my personal favs!)

I love the music by Koichi Sugiyama (Bio-Wars rocks!!)

4 Likes

Oh Godzilla vs Biollante is a brilliant film, some absolutely incredible designs

2 Likes

I recently rewatched this too! So many great scenes in it, but my favourite has to be when Miki asks the psychic children to show what they dreamed about the previous night, and they ALL hold up their drawings of Godzilla destroying Tokyo accompanied by his theme music. Sent chills down my spine!

I’m always slightly let down by the ending though, as action packed and chaotic as it is, why did they have to show a bloody PNG of Shirigami’s daughter floating up to the sky as Biollante leaves? Just makes what should be a really emotional scene just look so silly! Other than that, it’s one of my favourite films in the franchise, it’s so good!

2 Likes

Ignore if these are already on your list, but The H-Man and Battle in Outer Space are pretty fun Toho sci-fi movies! The Daimajin trilogy from Daiei is also a good shout.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I did this before, buuuuut: I heavily, strongly and undoubtedly recommend the Heisei Gamera Trilogy (1990’s, dir. Shusuke Kaneko)!

They are, in my opinion, some of the greatest Kaiju films of all time.

3 Likes

Been having a marathon of Godzilla/Kaiju flicks, that’s why I haven’t that active here :sweat_smile:

You can check my Letterboxd if you really want to :wink:

4 Likes

I just recently started a marathon watching every Godzilla movie in release order. I just watched Mothra vs. Godzilla last night and it was delightful. There was some good comedy, Mothra dragging Godzilla around by the tail was awesome, Mothra’s little singing fairies — just a fun movie.

4 Likes

Hope you enjoy your marathon, I’m currently in the middle of something similar

You’ve got a lot more of those comedic moments to look forward to in the Showa era

4 Likes

Enjoy your marathon!!

Mothra vs. Godzilla is one of my personal favourites of the Showa era, as well!

4 Likes

I love making LB lists. So, I made one about my top 10 fav Kaiju films.

With one rule…

One film per Kaiju!!

4 Likes