The Lost in Time Story Watchalong

Playing through Doctor Who: Lost in Time is a terrible way to experience its story. Cutscenes are fragmented into a few lines of dialogue and, if you’re actively playing, you’ll probably also be seeing event cutscenes between the main stuff. It’s also - let’s be honest - not a very good game! Most people who have rated it on TARDIS Guide have seen very little of the story. That’s where this thread comes in. Once a day I’m going to post a full episode of Lost in Time (provided other people are interested) and get a better picture of it beyond its interminable gameplay loop.

Take it away, Mr. Gatwa:

15 Likes

And here’s Episode 1:

8 Likes

I’ve just got around to rewatching this myself (at 2x speed - I actually like the music more at this speed, you can imagine it in a Terminator film!) Underneath all the game exposition there’s a decent little plot set-up here which I missed when I was ‘playing’ it. It’s also very funny that there’s two unique illustrations in this - nice to see the art style actually doing something dynamic.

5 Likes

I just watched it. Its nice to see K-9 and Thirteen together and its a good start for a game. But it doesn’t explain much.

4 Likes

Yes, they’ve made the interesting choice to really part out the plot. Imagine how uninformed you’d feel if you had to play gameplay segments every ~five lines! Whilst I’m at it, here’s episode two:

5 Likes

I really like how the daleks look and Its cool that K-9 has a Vortex Manipulator and can travel by himself. The Story is more exciting than I thought, you really want to know what happens next. But why is Ten with Sarah Jane and not with Rose, Martha or Donna?

4 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I guess, from a Doylist perspective, they wanted to take the opportunity to represent multiple eras with one scenario. From a Watsonian one, I’ve no idea. Is there a point in time they could’ve reasonably travelled together, or does SJA shut that down?

3 Likes

I think you are right that they maybe wanted to represent multiple eras and the get a connection to fans of the classic era.

3 Likes

Episode 3 time! If you need a recap, the Tenth Doctor discovered somebody was collaborating with The Daleks last time.

4 Likes

That was kind of my thought while playing is the certain pairs or characters especially needed for certain locations that have no ties to each other or that place like i think yaz and dan (I haven’t opened app in a bit) are needed to upgrade mars - but it has the gargantuan from empress of mars

That’s a little more understandable, the game model means that there’s only so much potential places to put characters. Of course they could’ve just added a single Thirteenth Doctor themed waypoint, but that’s a whole other complaint.

Interesting episode but the story goes on very slowly. I think gallifrey looks strange I have never seen such Green Rooms on gallifrey. Im very excited to see luke in the next episode.

Okay, very funny that in the lore, the premium currency is stolen from Gallifrey. So if you spend real money on the game, you’re technically funding a crime ring!

4 Likes

As someone who’s played a fair bit past this point - don’t get too excited.

1 Like

A bit of a late one today because I took a day trip to Mount Stewart near Newtownards. A lovely spot for a walk and I saw a family of inquisitive red squirrels. Plus their collaboration with Pokemon Go gave me a bunch of rewards for going there. Speaking of mobage:

5 Likes

Collaboration with Pokemon Go?

Oh, I was imagining a Lost In Time Pokemon Go collaboration.

Here’s episode 5, and we finally get to see a classic Doctor in the fold!

5 Likes

Episode Six:

3 Likes