The Eighth Doctor Adventures: Causeway – Available 18/11!
- 1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5
- 6
- 7
- 8
- 9
- 10
- 1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5
- 6
- 7
- 8
- 9
- 10
The Eighth Doctor Adventures: Causeway – Available 18/11!
18th Nov.!!! The same release day as The Legend of Luoxiaohei[1]’s comic — it’s gonna be a great day ![]()
which everyone should make time to watch ↩︎
Not a great cover (i’m looking at you stock photo of a woman in a turtleneck) but looking forward to the stories.
Lost Among the Stars was compact, emotional and scary which is exactly what I wanted out of a Patel script, with some great work for both Audacity and Charley, so a solid 8/10 from me
Lost Among The Stars: A pretty stellar start to this set. This is a very cinematic story, with lots of big, striking imagery, and I love the central plot and the worldbuilding Rochana Patel has done here. The sound design and music in this story also stand out, enhancing the tone of the script. Charley and Audacity each get some fantastic character moments ( although I maybe wasn’t quite convinced they’d get over this particular adventure as quickly as they do in the final scene) and it goes without saying that India Fisher and Jaye Griffiths continue to excel performance-wise. I think if there’s one slightly weak link in this one for me, it’s the Doctor himself - granted, Eight is an incarnation who’s been characterised pretty inconsistently over the years, but some of his behaviour and choices here didn’t quite ring true to me. I can buy him impulsively taking his two companions to a dangerous alien world, but I didn’t quite buy his very understated reaction to Charley and Audacity’s apparent deaths midway through , or his choice to investigate the apparently dead Audacity over saving the still-alive Charley, and again, he seems way too quick to get over everything that happened at the end. I don’t think he’s that off, and it’s probably just me being picky, but it was the one element which didn’t quite click into place unfortunately.
Still, on the whole, a great story, and one I’m looking forward to listening to again. Now, onto the next one!
Lost Among the Stars was definitely a good script set on an interesting world, but somehow it didn’t grab me like I was hoping it would do. Good stuff still! Some creepy moments (I’m always happy to see some alien fungi), but not a favourite. Solid 7/10.
The Time You Never Had: Tim Foley don’t write a five star banger challenge - impossible difficulty! Amazingly, in a year that also saw the release of stories like Hooklight and Fallen Heroes, this has to be another contender for the best thing Big Finish has put out. It’s hard to sum up without spoilers, but this is easily the definitive Audacity story so far, and one of the most genuinely thoughtful time travel stories I can recall. Obviously, the character work is phenomenal on both the regular and side character fronts, and the worldbuilding and plotting is as excellent as you’d expect from Tim. I can’t wait to see where this TARDIS team’s travels will go next, especially with all the set-up and teasing here - what do the Causeway want? Has Charley’s timeline diverged from the main range now? Where did the third time ship come from? How are the Silence involved? If indeed they’re who the post credits scene were hinting at with the tally marks…
Never mind all that though, in the year 2025 Tim Foley and Big Finish are determined to warm my cold, icy heart with new Eight/Charley romance content, and for that fact alone, this gets five stars ![]()
Seriously though, easily best of the Audacity sets so far and one of the best Big Finish has put out in a while. Get this one!
Lost Among the Stars: ehh… I’m with @taraoftraken, it was fine. Enjoyable enough but I’m not really clicking with Charley or Audacity as characters and I didn’t think this did anything terribly unique with the mushroom spore possession thing, and certainly not enough to justify a 66 minute runtime
Time You Never Had pt1: You know you listen to too much BF when you get the little references to other ranges… Thadeus Nook mention… anyway enjoying this way more than the first one already. I am fond of Audacity actually, and I am intrigued by where all this is going.
Never Had pt2: Hmmmm. Much to think about. I think romancing Audacity and Barabus was a boring choice tbh but I was compelled by Audacity throughout. A the Forge mention also??? in 2025??? It feels kind of like we’re doing an Anti Time TWO kind of thing here which… well, I’m not sold on it. And was the implication at the end that the Silence are up to something…?
The Time You Never Had: ahhh, like the first story, it doesn’t compel me like I wanted it to. I think the script made several easy choices – never having the two Audacities interact, for example. The ending was also too portentous and arc-setter-uppy for my liking; I can’t really be bothered with another secret society mystery box. But I really liked Mr. Barnabus! And the characters overall are good; just not excellent IMO.
“Lost Among the Stars” is ho-hum Doctor Who. Too much focus on the evil fungus rather than its planet being lost among the stars. I’m also annoyed that Audacity’s death was glossed over, as that’s a serious thing to befall a companion, and giving it a bit more time would’ve made her and Charley’s moments that much stronger.
“The Time You Never Had” is the 8DA story by which I’ve been most intrigued since “Sweet Salvation”, or maybe “Crossed Lines”. Not that there haven’t been good stories in the interim—there just haven’t been any which end with me thinking, “The hell happens next?” or “Could I write a fanfic about this?” I love the idea of there being a Silurian Doctor who’s even more steampunk, and willing to throw hands (lash tongues?), and while I agree, @sircarolyn, that his romance with Audacity isn’t interesting, I found their relationship sweet. I’m happy that he got a copy of her. (Never mind the temporal mess that this is bound to cause in the Audacities’ last story.) I’m shocked that Audacity Prime died for good, and that either somebody wanted her gone, or fate has it out for her. I’m surprised that Causeway isn’t the sole antagonist, and I’m feverishly wondering what Prodigal is, and to whom the crashed timeship belongs. (May 12, 1996, the day the TV movie first premiered… Not the TARDIS, if it’s made of dwarf star alloy, but is it still related to the Doctor?) I was also pleased by the worldbuilding done with Barabbas’s timeline, however brief. As I implied, lots of fanfic fodder there.
All in all, Tim Foley is great, and I dig Big Finish’s new-ish direction of “episodic plots, but an overarching arc”. Frustrating to wait another year, but I bet we’ll love the payoffs for these stories and Thirteen’s.
Finally got round to finishing Lost Amongst the Stars. This probably should’ve been a slam dunk being classic horror-Who, however, the tension feels flat and, other than Audacity, the character are all pretty bland throughout. 7/10
I too finished Lost Amongst the Stars. That was really good. It had a real Alien/Prometheus[1] feel to it. Sure, the guest cast isn’t all that memorable, but I don’t think they need to be. The main focus is on Charley and mostly Audacity here. I’m still unsure on whether Audacity is truly dead or not. The spoilered comments above seem to indicate that, but the end of this story seems to leave it purposefully vague.
or at least what I think Prometheus feels like having only watched the first two Alien films and a small bit of the third ↩︎
This boxset might be second favourite this year.
I loved both of the stories, and genuinely I cant wait to see what happens next. I’m actually disappointed we’re getting a Liv and Helen boxset next as I just want more Charley and Audacity!
Mr Barabus might be one of the most endearing side characters in a while. I do hope we see more of him some day some how.
Is it just me or does it feel like we might be getting the set-up for a Monk and/or Silence story soon based on the ending?
Listened to both of these, both excellent but The Time You Never Had is a true classic. Poor Audacity. Jeez.
Finally finished The Time You Never Had. This is what I’ve been looking for! Amazing story that brilliantly weaves sci-fi concepts and emotional character work. I can’t wait to see how this story will affect Audacity and her relationship with The Doctor and Charley going forward. 10/10
Finished this now. That was really good. Can Tim Foley write for the TV series now? Really intrigued by Annika and the ongoing arc. By the way, what accent did Annika have, was that a Danish accent, or a different Scandinavian one? Really looking forward to next year’s Eighth Doctor releases. We’ll have Time War in May, and then I assume one of the November/December releases will be Charley/Audacity and the other will be Liv/Helen.
Listening to the extras, and it is indeed Danish.