The Adventure Games

Did anyone else play “The Adventure Games” (The Adventure Games - Tardis Wiki)? What were your thoughts? Were they good games? More importantly, were they good Doctor Who stories?

omg I miss these so much, I wish I could find a working download but I fear they are lost to time :frowning: I used to play them a lotttt when they came out - were they good? I don’t remember and honestly I think no they probably weren’t, but I do remember loving them anyway

2 Likes

I got them a few years ago on CD-Rom off Amazon, but a search today came up up empty. A search on ebay found them for around $25-30 USD (doctor who the adventure games for sale | eBay).

1 Like

I played City of the Daleks, the Cyberman one and The Gunpowder Plot. I reget not getting around to the other two before they disappeared from the BBC site.

They were fine but they weren’t the greatest. I did review Gunpowder for my personal marathon/blog.

(Blimey, this review is really old because I’m much more of a gamer now and we own an Xbox. So that opening paragraph is hugely out of date).

3 Likes

Oh I absolutely did! They were great, however I will say I probably have some sort of bias of fondness because I re-played them over & over & over - bar The Gunpowder Plot because I needed to look up a Walkthrough for that one, only completed it the once or twice but it was still good. /pos
I think as games they were alright, but I figure for people who play video games regularly they might or weren’t anything revolutionary or standout. As for their quality as Doctor Who stories I’d say they were decent: each one of them I can imagine fitting in easily into Series 5 or 6 in tGP’s case. The only one I could see as not enticing people as much would be TARDIS, but it definitely was probably either my favourite or one of the favourites just because (I think) it was the second-ever time you could explore the TARDIS in any way, the first being Destiny Of The Doctors.
/g

Someone’s uploaded The Adventure Games to r/abandonware on Reddit; tried it myself! It works splendidly. /g /pos
https://www.reddit.com/r/abandonware/comments/f2v8df/doctor_who_adventure_games_2012/

2 Likes

I played a couple of them when they came out but found them pretty mediocre. I heard that they got better, but never got a chance to try them. Super excited to try them again…

A post below that link warns of malware…

Yeah because the actual link goes via a dodgy ad site. Be careful out there!

1 Like

It does, but on the webpage itself just click on “Get The Adventure Games”, then click the “Skip” button that has the grey triangle icon on it - it’ll go to the Google Drive link that person has where you can download it. I scanned my computer for malware after downloading the RAR files for both & found nothing. Still, apologies to concern anyone. /g /pos

1 Like

Broke out my copy of City of the Daleks and played a bit tonight. It’s rather fun, not overly difficult, and has decent graphics. Here’s a Youtube video for those who can’t play it but want to experience the story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHT5iItPA-8

1 Like

I managed to install this and play it yesterday. I think that I am at the end of the city of Daleks. The story is okay but the control has not aged well at all.

2 Likes

I have this on my steam account, also my mom found me the cd version back then also. I remember it being a mediocre game but who cares it’s Doctor Who.

1 Like

Any CD version was definitely unofficial!

How is the cd version unofficial?

As far as I’m aware the games were only ever officially available via the BBC website and were never released physically. I’m willing to be corrected, though.

They were on Steam at least in the US for quite a while before the license expired. The PC CD that I have appears legit with all the usual BBC/Daleks/Cybermen copyright info and was released in what appears to 2015 by Legacy Games/Legacy Interactive. A quick search on Amazon a few weeks ago, and then on the Legacy games website (via a shortcut included on the disc) a couple days ago, show that apparently, the CD isn’t available anymore.

1 Like

Maybe it was a US thing then - they definitely were only available via the website/Steam in the UK.

1 Like

According to tardis.wiki: On 17 May 2014, the series with its five games was released on Steam, published by Legacy Games. At the end of May 2017, the series was removed from Steam, due to an expiration of Legacy Games’ license with the BBC.

1 Like

Yeah, that seems to be the case.