Short stories counted as books

Hi, really loving this site! Lots of cool features. One bit of feedback I have is that short stories are currently being counted as “books”, when they should really be their own category. So as a consequence the site statistics are saying I’ve read 146 books, when I really haven’t.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Danochy . A good bit of feedback that @shauny can ponder.

Do pop over to the Introductions thread and tell us a bit more about yourself. Lots of conversations to get involved with too.

4 Likes

Introfuctions?

4 Likes

Thanks - yes I have been pondering how best to do this.

I’m counting stories as unique things, so really it should say you’ve read 146 prose stories or something like that.

I don’t like to count all stories in the same book as one story for reviews and rating purposes.

What do you think?

7 Likes

I’d probably have novels and anthologies, where an anthology is a list of stories, and counts as both reading a book and reading each individual story. A story could potentially be in more than one anthology. (And magazines could could contain stories as well, if you add them.)

5 Likes

Indeed, the latest DWM special about the Fourth Doctor has new original prose by Christopher H Bidmead and there have been a smattering throughout DWM’s history, including their Preludes to the NAs (another spreadsheet for @shauny).

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

And yeah, it also counts comics as books too, so something like TWM 25 which contains 3 short stories and 1 comic strip ends up getting counted as ‘4 books’ which definitely doesn’t feel right

2 Likes

One Idea is to keep it as it is (maybe with a name change). But maybe have it more broken down by type of written story when you look at more of your statistics.

3 Likes

I think even then I’d split comics off into its own seperate stat, but yeah ‘prose’ split by short story and books sounds good

3 Likes