Share the Love — the Commenting Game!

Calling all purveyors and appreciators of Doctor Who fanworks!

There’s nothing quite like the validation and encouragement of receiving comments on one’s creative work, but I suspect many of us who share our creations suffer at times from comment deprivation. Add to that the current epidemic of spam/bot “comments,” and there is an obvious crisis here — so to help rectify the situation, you are all invited to join me in this “game”!

(Which is really all a sneaky and overelaborate way to further my masterplan of getting people to encourage each other’s creativity, thus also hopefully motivating future creation of more fanworks for us all to enjoy. Oops, did I say that out loud?)

How to play:

  1. Find the most recent comment on this thread in which somebody shared a fanwork.

  2. View the fanwork.

  3. Leave a kind comment for the creator!

  4. Share your own fanwork, either as an external link or directly in the forum.

  5. Optional bonus: Go back and share some extra love for the older works posted higher up in the thread!

Rules/guidelines:

  • All media/formats are welcome (fanfic, fanart, etc.)!

  • If the fanwork shared is posted on an external platform (such as AO3, Tumblr, etc.), commenting directly on that post is encouraged when possible! If you don’t have an account on the platform or can’t comment there for any other reason, however, you can also just comment directly on this thread.

  • Given this is a Doctor Who forum, fanworks shared should be Doctor Who-related.

  • If there are significant content warnings for your work, please include them when you share.

  • The key idea of all this is to support and encourage each other, so please be nice and avoid leaving negative feedback/criticism unless the poster has specifically requested constructive criticism (and even then, of course still be kind!)

  • If you want to participate but don’t have a fanwork of your own to share, you can also boost a work by another creator that you enjoyed. But don’t be shy about sharing your own if you have it — let shameless self-promotion reign!

6 Likes

Since I don’t have a prior player to comment on, I guess I’ll use this space to acknowledge one of my favorite fanworks ever — this entire website, which is a labor of creative love if ever there was one. :blush: Forever impressed by the quality of the web design, the user-friendliness and the ever-improving variety of features available! If the rest of the internet was half as good as this site we’d be lucky. Thank you @shauny!!

And I’ll share my latest posted drabble, 250 words and the first Third Doctor piece I’ve published:

4 Likes

This is a great idea! Comment exchanges are so fun, commented on yours hehe

Coincidentally my last one is also third doctor :3

2 Likes

Commented on the last one.

I chose an older fic with Jack which was my first time writing for him.

2 Likes

Commented on the last one!

This one is a short First Doctor character piece, looking Susan’s departure scene from his perspective:

Commented on the last one.

An old one of mine featuring a Zygon trying to save someone but ends up hurting themselves in the process. Mild CW for loss of limbs but it doesn’t go into a lot of detail.

1 Like

Tried to comment, but Ao3 though my comment seemed too much like spam, so I will put my reply here instead:
Nice story. Short and sweet, as well as being clearly well written. I really liked it. Thanks for sharing it on TG. If you hadn’t, I wouldn’t have read it, greatly enjoying it at a time when I wasn’t feeling so well.

1 Like