Rutans vs Sontarans: Grave Moon – Available 23/06!,
- 1
- 2
- 3
- 4
- 5
- 6
- 7
- 8
- 9
- 10
I hope I like the Six story this time round
was the only miss for me in Sontarans vs Rutans
Loving this series so far, so excited for my girl! Unlikely to be able to listen to this one when it drops though, might have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday night unfortunately.
Oh dear… I fear I didn’t vibe with this, and I’m quite disappointed. Lots of good ideas, such a messy execution.
That was interesting. I rather enjoyed it. Definitely a lot of interesting ideas. I’m very interested to see what Eight’s plan is and how everything wraps together. I still think the first one with Fugitive was the best.
Could I listen to the Fugitive Story in isolation? Less interested in the rest of the series and it’s not reviewed as well.
That one definitely can be yeah
Got a good way into this one thinking “wow the way they’re jumping around in this one is really confusing I cannot figure out what’s going on here.”
Chat, it was playing on shuffle…
Anyways this has some interesting stuff going on but holy shit they were slandering my girl with this one. Pretty much agree with all of @Blossom’s review on this one. Am very excited for 8’s part to tie it together though.
Interestingly mixed reactions so far. I’m going to listen to it today myself.
Like did she have an issue with them in the other story she met them? I was half expecting her to be a Rutan as a twist
Not really, at least not any more than your average villain
I won’t pretend like it’s totally out of character for Peri to sort of stubbornly hold on to her first assumption about who the good guys and bad guys are but something about it here just felt really off. Especially when she didn’t really do much else aside from give someone way too much information that she absolutely knew better than to give
Congrats on your remake of What Just Happened?!
Mirroring Jamie here and saying I was disappointed in this one.
I knew it was going to be the weakest of the set, and I went in with super low expectations because of it.
Just wasn’t much meat to it.
Just finished it. And no, I wasn’t a huge fan. It was sort of ‘meh’ in tone, with a very uneven story and just characters that didn’t click. And why did they have to stuff in Eight into this one too? It wasn’t as jarring here as in Rendition, but he kept getting in the way.
5/10 = Okay
Spoiler-free revire below:
Eight’s inclusion here was far more prominent (being in both the cold open and final scene), at least in Rendition he didn’t turn up until a good way through. This feels more like it relies on the next story for the Eighth Doctor strand while developing ideas from the previous one, and doesn’t quite stand up as its own entry.
Not sure why this had to be a Sixth Doctor and Peri story, it doesn’t do much that’s about them specifically in terms of history or characterisation. With Rendition it at least used Zoe’s logic skills and touched on Jamie’s background a bit more.
Caught up with this one now that the final story is released. I admire this series’ commitment to being weird and esoteric, a Rutan in “love” is certainly a novel concept and not really at all what you’d expect from a range with as gloriously schlocky a title as this one. Colin and Nicola were great here, as was McGann, although Eight maybe isn’t used in as considered a manner as he was in the prior story. The setting is a cool idea and brought to life evocatively by the sound design. I think my only two real downsides are that things get a little hammy at times (the Sontaran/Rutan slanging match at the end was a bit odd especially, hearing a Rutan shouting “Sontaran Dog!” feels a bit weird - would a Rutan even know what a dog is, or bother to call a Sontaran one rather than just killing them?) and from a purely aural perspective, there’s a bit too much ear-splitting Rutan screaming in this one for me. Otherwise, very solid, this series continues to be engaging and enjoyable.
I didn’t gel with this one unfortunately. It all felt a little overstuffed, and so nothing hit as hard as it could have done. A disappointing step down from the previous two stories