Following on from this post, a thread to discuss RTD’s planned S3 and beyond that never came to fruition. Lots of new tidbits are coming out from his new book that just came out. Lots of it is really interesting, especially the Disney deal stuff.
‘War Between the Men and the Women’ ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I always thought that title format was ripe for spinning off from!! It could’ve justified the clunkiness of it and I really believe that could’ve worked. However I would’ve been very hesitant about ‘the war between the men and the women’ if written by RTD given some of the clunky gender politics we’ve seen from him in the past i.e. the star beast
Pretty much the same info here. Agree with the above on the war between stuff, major yikes when I read it. Not sure if its RTD being flippant as usual, but given its written makes me think it was somewhat serious?
I feel bad for the writers who fully wrote their S3 scripts.
Space Station Horror? Uh, I would really like to have seen that one, yes please. Great Fire Of London, though…been there done that bought the frock coat lol?
I’m so intrigued by a four-part Dalek epic finale, but I also have to remind myself that it would’ve been written by the version of RTD who gave us Empire and Reality War lol. Ugh…I’m torn! I do ultimately wish he’d at least been able to finish out all his mad ideas, maybe a third season really would’ve tied the era together. We’ll never know!
…The War Between The Men And The Women? Yeah, no haha. Heavy Mission To Magnus and Prison In Space vibes lol, no thanks!
I love how we figured out he was setting up future The War Between stories, solely based on how awful and clunky that title was ![]()
It was really difficult chatting about it on BlueSky, as everyone I know used a different hashtag for it #TheWarBetween #TheWarBetweenTheLandAndTheSea #TWBTLATS and of course #TWATBLAST
I quite enjoyed the series, but what a dreadful and godawful title, all to set up a future that never happened.
I really liked War Between until the last episode hand-waived away all of its best and most interesting ideas. I wish it had been bolder, and a little nastier! More angry!
The War Between the Earth and the Moon sounds like an interesting premise. The other two… well… I’m not exactly sold based on the title alone…
It really feels like he came up with the naming scheme first, and the plot was secondary.
Also funny that just from this, it already sounds like he’s running out of themes to fit the naming scheme. Like late 30s Survivor. The War Between the Heroes and the Healers and the Hustlers.
Don’t get me started on this! I don’t say that in a bad way, surprisingly; I’m actually rather intrigued by some of these ideas, if you can believe it. Of course, it’s very easy to take a one-line premise and imagine the perfect episode catered to one’s personal preferences, but that didn’t stop me from having a crack at it!
Setting aside how plans for ten episodes wouldn’t have fit into an eight-episode season – and the possibility that Davies may have banked on a renewed deal being so in-demand that they would offer more episodes per season to accommodate this – I tried my best to run with what little information we had for most of them, with Dawson and Davies’ contributions being omitted because of how little we knew:
So, while it's almost certain this isn't what we would've gotten, I had fun with this...
- ‘Ex Inferis’: The Great Fire of London was the result of
the Terileptilsfactors unknown, but the truth remains impossible to ignore: the city has burned. But from the ashes rises something new, a spirit who speaks words of heaven with hellfire in its eyes. The Doctor has fought goblins and gods, but how will he fare against a demon? - ‘Abyss’: Beyond the reaches of even the farthest human world, a platform hangs in the endless void of space. Through its portholes can be seen the pin-prick stars of distant systems but, save for the crew, the station is alone. After months away from civilisation, its cylindrical corridors and looping pathways are enough to make anyone go mad. So, when impossible holes begin to appear in the walls and chasms leading to nowhere open all over the station, it falls to the Doctor to lead the crew back home.
- ‘No Place Like It’: There was a time when the idea of settling down was anathema to the Doctor. There was a time when that changed and the Doctor found a family and learned to take things slow. But the TARDIS’ arrival in Manchester intrudes upon a domestic scene unlike any other. People have been going missing, paranoid neighbours accuse each other, and the arrival of the Doctor risks making everything even worse…
- ‘Illumination’: A fun trip to Blackpool in the 1980s is cut short when the Doctor detects a strange electrical interference in the machinery, a message from another dimension struggling to break through. The return of an old friend and an even older enemy gives the Doctor little time to prepare against the latest of the Toymaker’s legion…
- ‘The First Conquest’: They always survive. Reborn, refined, and more deadly than ever, a purified sect of Daleks shed their first blood and begin to undermine several human worlds of the fifty-ninth century. Confronted with the suffering and injustice of several generations, the Doctor soon discovers the Daleks’ involvement and their intent to subjugate, eradicate, and exterminate by any means necessary…
- ‘The Endless War’: After his first victory saw the Doctor succeed in expelling the Daleks from the colonists’ world, he intends to hunt them down and stop them once and for all. But the Daleks are cunning and have manipulated other worlds, too; on a planet once known to history as peaceful and prosperous, its people wage open and bloody war against each other. Their masters demand it, and they must obey…
- ‘The Wasteland’: He always survives. The Doctor is powerless to stop the Dalek war machine as they raze entire systems to the ground. Surrounded by death, decay, and suffering, the Doctor is close to losing hope. But the universe holds many secrets, and the myths of ancient magic have proven true before. To keep the handful of survivors safe, the Doctor resorts to desperate measures…
- ‘The Pale Horse’: Everything ends. The Doctor’s reckless gambit succeeded, and the Dalek armada lies in ruin, but the victory came at great cost and the Doctor knows he cannot avoid what comes next. The Doctor resolves to seek audience with the new Dalek Supreme, offering it an ultimatum: leave for a safe but isolated pocket universe, or face the wrath of the Pale Rider…
Is one of these just a re-hash of ‘The Nightmare Fair’ ? Yes. But it’s good fun! Whether this should’ve been put somewhere else or not, I’m not sure… Still, speculation is one of the better ways to whittle away the time. Who knows; perhaps we’ll end up with some new material for a future Lost Stories range. Hit me up, Big Finish! ![]()
(post deleted by author)
“The War Between The Men And The Woman”? Seems a bit OTT. ![]()
I understand budgetary constraints would make it difficult, but I would’ve much preferred the spinoff as a way of giving established villains some time in the spotlight to compensate for their absence while the shorter seasons prioritise new aliens and villains. They don’t have to be big, bombastic affairs either; the Cold War existed, espionage is a viable alternative.
- The War Between the Sontarans and the Rutans. Or, if we’re humouring alternative titling conventions, ‘The War Between: 50,000’—some fun Warhammer connections there if we’re looking for some kind of additional relevance. It doesn’t need to be the full war or something insane, but one front or one campaign where we follow people caught in the middle of it all;
- The War Between the Heart and the Mind. Alternatively, ‘The War Between: Silver Skinned’. Give us glimpse of the Cyber Wars, or a more horror-focused story with Cybermen abducting the dispossessed to replenish their numbers as they prepare an invasion and mass conversion of either a human colony or Earth itself;
- The War Between Right and Wrong. Alternatively, ‘The War Between: Extermination’. Use the Daleks as an ideological foil to humanity; Daleks are thematically derived from one of the ugliest periods of modern history, embodying the evil that humans are capable of. Use that. Don’t have it be a simple action story with high body count, lean into how much like the Daleks humans can be. It’s not just a fight to save Earth from the Daleks, it’s a fight to save it from our worst impulses.
I won’t drone on, but there are so many other options! I’m still working my way through the VNAs, so maybe we could see one of the campaigns on Mars against the Ice Warriors, perhaps with a third party complicating matters as the Flood arrives. The Autons could get their long-awaited microplastics story in something that is just as much a war against a hostile invader as it is against the hostile takeovers of late-stage market capitalism and the unchecked extraction of fossil fuels.
Et cetera, et cetera…
How long before Big Finish make a “Season 3: Lost Stories” series?
/j
The War Between The To Be’s And The Not To Be’s.
The War Between The Cheese And The Toast.
The War Between The Cold And The Stream.
I’m still not entirely sold on the ‘War Between…’ franchise. I mean The War Between The Men And The Women and The Clever And The Not sound a bit game showey.
The Unit Moon base sounds like an intriguing place to visit, with or without a war.
Wait a minute, I’ve seen this before!
Well, in a world that should be doing more recycling, I applaud it Mr F. Foamasi!
Please, Mister F. Foamasi was my father. Call me Fumbling!
The War Between The To Be’s And The Not To Be’s.
Would the protagonist, perhaps, suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune? Or maybe even take arms against a sea of troubles and, by opposing, end them? Or would that be the central dilemma? Such is the calamity of so long life…
Honestly, we should get a war between two households, both alike in dignity. Maybe not in fair Verona, but something with a blood feud spanning generations. If the Doctor could theoretically be involved in one of these, it’d be nice to see them use the TARDIS and explore the origins of one of these conflicts. Someone could try to avert it before it begins and the Doctor has to explain the necessity of remaining as observers. Star-crossed travellers through time may bear witness to ancient grudges breaking to new mutinies, but interfering would surely drench them in civil blood and make their civil hands unclean…
Only a mind as wonderful as yours could turn a naff joke into something beautiful.

