Recurring characters in Big Finish

Continuing the discussion from Audio Club: The Genocide Machine:

Spinning off from this week’s Audio Club, it struck me that The Genocide Machine introduces the character of Bev Tarrant, one of a few recurring characters created by Big Finish writers who then go on to appear in a number of stories - and in Bev’s case, to become a semi-regular in the Bernice Summerfield range.

Aside from Bev Tarrant, thief extraordinaire, which other Big Finish original ‘recurring’ characters are your favourites - or least favourites?

Top of many lists is often DI Menzies who appeared in a few 6th Doctor stories and was played by Anna Hope.

Another less popular character may be Thomas Brewster - who may or may not, depending on your inclination, end up in the ‘companion’ bracket.

3 Likes

Narvin for sure, he is such a wonderful character that is incredibly nuanced and multi-layered, and snarky to boot. Also it helps that he is portrayed impeccably by Seán Carlsen :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s a good shout. I started the thread and then was wracking my brain for examples!

Narvin yayyyyyyyyy!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m also deeply in love with Veklin at the moment, I love it that she pops up all over and I want her to be in everything forever <3

I also love DI Menzies, she’s such a fun character and I’ve never been expecting it when she appears in the MR so it’s always a fun surprise for me when that happens!

Also, possibly unpopular opinion but I really cannot stand Thomas Brewster… :see_no_evil: not for any reason particularly, I just find him annoying haha

2 Likes

I could honestly say the same things about Elizabeth Klein :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t think it is that much of an unpopular opinion to have about him. Seemed fairly common when he was appearing in the main range.

2 Likes

Klein is another good recurring character who, of course, then actually became a fully-fledged companion to the 7th Doctor.

2 Likes

I really enjoy Norton Folgate. I haven’t heard him in a lot yet, but what I have heard was very fun.

What stories is he in? The name doesn’t sound familiar.

Only Torchwood stuff

1 Like

Ah, that explains it. I never got into Torchwood.

There’s a really funny Twitter thread about characters you just irrationally hate and my mind immediately went to this little prick immediately when I saw it.

2 Likes

I mean, there might exist a guide out there that answers this exact question :wink:

https://tardis.guide/character/norton-folgate/

2 Likes

Norton is brilliant!

I love Cardinal Ollistra as this antagonistic ally to the 8th and War Doctors. And by extension, I guess I’d have to include Tamasan as well, since she’s been acting as Ollistra’s representative in recent years. I do hope they try and do more to distinguish Tamasan from Ollistra though, since I often forget that I’m listening to a different character.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @FigBinish5678 , cool name :smile:

I have only heard Ollistra in the War Doctor audios, but she is great isn’t she!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @FigBinish5678

I vote for Vienna Salvatori. She started as a side character in the main range then got her own series, which was great fun, BTW.

I’ve only heard her main range appearance and The Memory Box but I did enjoy her in the latter. That said, Big Finish do sometimes seem to go wild for a particular actor or actress and they end up being in everything.

1 Like