Reading: Digital or Physical?

• Physical
  • Digital
  • Both
  • Mostly physical, some digital
  • Mostly digital, some physical
0 voters

Which do you prefer? Does it make a difference for Doctor Who books?

3 Likes

I read digital for the most part. Saves on space and money.

6 Likes

I read physical through my library. I have a handful of eBooks that I own. Audio on the other hand is entirely digital.

7 Likes

I would like to read physically but I donā€™t have the space and Who books are expensive here. This have forced me to read digital.

9 Likes

I generally prefer print books, and I am in the awesome position of living with my best friend who owns like 90% of all DW novels so I am reading them physically. But before I moved in, I was reading them digitally for ease of access and, as others have noted, cost because some of those books are not cheap!

I donā€™t collect any CDs though, my BF collection is entirely digital.

9 Likes

I much prefer physical books, but yeah, expense, so I do go digital for the rarer stories. I am a bit of a completionist, though, so I do try to collect as many books in print as I can, provided they arenā€™t ridiculously expensive! I also have a larger collection of CDs than is strictly necessary from someone who mostly listens digitally (mostly from BF CD sales).

In terms of non-DW, though, I try to go physical as much as possibleā€“and I do buy CDs of my favourite albums when I can.

8 Likes

Audiobooks, so I think that counts as purely digital

5 Likes

I mainly read physical books but do read some digitally. I only use my phone though so it isnā€™t great. Iā€™m a sucker for the smell of real books though so will always return to them - space be damned.

9 Likes

I use my ipad. Iā€™d prefer physical books but if theyā€™re on my ipad which I tend to take with me its easier.

4 Likes

I much prefer physical, but unfortunately I donā€™t own any Doctor Who books and I doubt my local library would have any. Theyā€™re also not exactly commercially available here, and shipping can get pretty expensive. And I just know that if I started I would want a full collection, and that would get out of hand fast. Best stick to digital.

4 Likes

I try to do physical when I can, but I do most of my reading during downtime at work, so digital is usually more practical

3 Likes

Check to see if your library has an Inter-library loan program. While itā€™s still hit and miss, my library system is fairly often able to get Who stuff. Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve read all my Who novels over the past 14 years. I live in Northwest Washington and currently have an IDW collection on ILL from Salem, Oregon and a DWM comic collection from Emporia, Kansas. So you might be surprised what you can get.

5 Likes

Depends, but generally speaking digital is easier to access and I donā€™t have to carry it around.

4 Likes

Generally, I purchase digital copies for new books, but I own a lot of physical books, and I like to pull them out and read them occasionally, too. There are a few physical books I tend to have floating around, too, like Terry Pratchettā€™s ā€œGoing Postalā€, Christopher Stasheffā€™s ā€œA Company of Starsā€, and a few Ray Bradbury and Roger Zelazny collectionsā€¦

4 Likes

Generally I tend to read easier with physical books (or audiobooks but those are hit or miss for me), but a lot of books I want to read I can only find as ebooks. I donā€™t have nearly the budget for physical copies of all of the who books I want to read, and my library system has very few (and mostly ebooks at that) so everything Iā€™ve read thus far was digital. I do have my first target novelization in the mail at the moment, though.

5 Likes

Digital unless the book canā€™t be found online at all. Itā€™s easier for me to annotate and whatnot in a digital copy. Also Iā€™m not a collector, so Iā€™m not compelled to purchase a slew of books that can be easily found online.

If I really want to read a physical book and itā€™s available at the library, that would be my first point of contact over purchasing.

5 Likes

Reviews or articles Iā€™m fine with reading digitally, but something like a Doctor Who book needs to be physical for me.

Iā€™ve always struggled with reading and keeping myself focused, so I often treat reading a Doctor Who book like this grand ceremony;

• Preparing an iced coffee or a cup of peppermint tea
  • Smelling the pages of the book when I begin it, because that scent is divine.

Then Iā€™ll go on YouTube an stick video of ambient noises and music on, but it has to fit the story Iā€™m reading. And then itā€™s on loop any time I read that book.

Iā€™ll give two examples from recently;

When I was reading ā€˜The Wheel of Iceā€™, I stuck on an ambient piece called ā€œFrozen Planetā€ which really helped me visualise the Mnemosyne Cincture (the setting of said story).

With ā€˜Goth Operaā€™, I found a video of music and ambience for Draculaā€™s castle, which I stuck on and managed to finish the book in a day and a half.

I realise I probably sound a bit strange for treating reading a Doctor Who book like some sacred ritual, but it honestly helps me get the most enjoyment out of them.

12 Likes

For Doctor Who I am almost entirely digital, mostly because I just have a hard time finding the old books I want to read since most are out of print and incredibly expensive as a result.

9 Likes

I paid Ā£80 for my copy of ā€˜Lungbarrowā€™ only to discover it was one of the reproductions from 2015.

It was advertised as an original.

captioned gif of crying emoji disintegrating : r/MemeTemplatesOfficial

10 Likes

I prefer physical, but convenience means most things I read are digital

4 Likes