Please give me behind the scenes facts!

I am bored and I always love to hear facts about Dr Who - we all already know the Kamelion is cursed and Colin left in the woods stories (and if you don’t please ask because they’re great!!) but I want to know some really deep cuts of lore. What’s the most obscure story about Dr Who that you know?

4 Likes

I definitely need to hear about the curse of Kamelion! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t feel like most of the things I know behind the scenes are at all obscure. Talking about a few anyways, since you never know what others have heard…

During the Greatest Show In the Galaxy, an explosion going off behind the Doctor was mistimed, and hit him in the back, setting the back of his coat on fire… and they couldn’t reshoot, so that’s the take in the episode.

In Battlefield, when Sophie Aldred was in that trap filling up with water, it started cracking under the pressure, and Sylvester McCoy may very well have saved her life by alerting everyone that it was going wrong.

In Inferno, when the Brigade Leader turns around, wearing that eyepatch… everyone else had also put on an eyepatch as a gag.

11 Likes

@sircarolyn I’m still waiting here for a retelling of what I can only assume is an epic ballad about “The Curse of Kamelion” :wink:

2 Likes

Whoops! I completely forgot that I never told this tale!

Long story short, cursed robot killed everyone who ever worked on him. Like really - the guy who programmed him died in an accident without ever writing down how it worked, as well as a couple of the writers and the actors who played ‘human’ Kamelion. And, of course, everyone hated the robot because it never really worked properly anyway

3 Likes

I was under the impression there was a bit of a fan myth around this. There’s a DWM article/interview on it, I think. I haven’t watched the video you’ve posted above but I believe there was still one of the creators of Kamelion alive after the other man’s tragic death but it was actually JNT’s unrealistic expectations of what the technology was capable of doing, despite never being told it could do any of the things he thought it could, that were Kamelion’s undoing.

I’ll see if I can work out where I read it.

4 Likes

Hmm yeah that does seem a wee bit odd…
And could be the plot of an actual Doctor Who story :grin:
Never understood the problem in using Kamelion in stories, he was a shape changer for crying out loud - you didn’t need the actual prop for it to be useful for stories, and you could have had a string of guest actors playing the role for an episode or two or even just a scene.

6 Likes

It feels like a spot they could have reused the gimmick from when Romana generated, and had Kamelion trying on bodies…

3 Likes