Overcoming my nervousness to make an introduction... hi

Hi! My name is Lis/Julian, I’m Polish and a very recent Doctor Who fan:]
I got into the TV series more deeply at the beggining of last year - before that I’d mostly only heard of it, and a few years back I watched 9’s series. Since last year I’ve been very into Doctor Who. I started with watching all of the revival series, and then I did a “master% speedrun” where I watched every episode of the entirety of Doctor Who that the Master appeared in. As one does. Because it’s a normal thing to do.
Since then I’ve been watching the show and sporadically delving into the expanded universe.
My favourite doctors are (predictably) Twelve and (less predictably) Three & Seven. What I’d love the most is to get more into the EU, but I’m kinda intimidated by how much there is, by how inaccessible it is (where do you even find most of it!) and I’m not sure where to start - so far I’ve been delving into it a bit randomly, reading/listening to things I come across on accident and that happen to catch my attention.
I’m not used to the forum format, but I’m excited to get into this community more! It seems very cool:] Hopefully this post wasn’t too long :pray:

21 Likes

Welcome!

Not too long at all :blush: Glad to have you here.

What was your favourite Master? And favourite Master story?

5 Likes

Welcome to the site.

That’s certainly a valid way of doing it. There will be people with a lot more knowledge than me but we can always recommend stuff as needed. We are a friendly bunch and more than happy to help people.

4 Likes

Sounds like a lot of Roger Delgado!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

The Big Finish website is probably a good starting place for audio. There’s also a bunch of Big Finish on Spotify including the first 50 Main Range/Monthly Adventures. Internet Archive is surprisingly your friend. This is, as best I can tell, the whole Virgin New Adventures run (Complete Doctor Who: The Virgin New Adventures : Virgin Publishing Ltd. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive) which is one of the lines we’re working through in the Book Club. Otherwise, check with your local library. They might have some already, and you might also inquire if they have an Inter-library Loan program.

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you want a good place to start on EU material, there’s always the clubs on here as well! (but jumping on what grabs attention is what I’ve been doing too and is a very fun way of doing it!)

3 Likes

Welcome! It’s good to have you here!

Welcome to the forum @liselke - good to have you here. Forums seem new to a lot of our members (except us oldies) so no worries - we’re pretty relaxed here so do just go ahead and share your thoughts.

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to the forum! If there’s something I like it’s long and thoughtful forum posts, and your introduction is exactly that, so I’d say this was a resounding success!

I remember the time before social media took over, when people gathered in various forums to discuss and communicate. I guess I’m an oldie!

4 Likes

Welcome!! Love the Master speedrun, my friend and I did the nuwho version of that after we finished our rewatch lol. Tardis Guide is for sure a great source of help/information when dipping your toes into the EU.

1 Like

it was:] i definitely didn’t mind, it felt nice to be able to start with a whole season instead of jumping around!

1 Like

I’d definitely love that link:3 thank you!!

Oh, definitely, and there’s a reason they kept bringing him back. He had great chemistry with Jon Pertwee, partially because of them being good friends.

It’s sad when you get to his last episode, too, because he should have been in more, and would have if it wasn’t for his untimely death…

1 Like

it’s probably a “basic” choice (but for a good reason!), but my favourite was definitely Missy/// aside from the fact I find some of her characterisation kinda iffy (“couldn’t have kept calling myself the master, now could I?” etc, the implications of ‘the Mastern turns into a woman and is more willing to “turn good” or be friends w/ the Doctor’…), she’s both extremely fun and has a lot to offer in terms of character, story etc! Second place is Delgado, simply because I find this era just. infinitely charming and fun

On the favourite story… Counting TV only, my favourite story featuring the Master would be World Enough and Time/ The Doctor Falls. It’s one of my favourite stories in the entire series… My favourite Master-centric story would probably go to The End Of Time (or, like, Survival. which I just find extremely fun). If we’re venturing outside of TV, I’m deeply obsessed with the short story “The Master and Margarita”. :]

5 Likes

Welcome!

That’s very fair! Honestly, I was on the same board as you with it. I do believe it depends on the Range and the Doctor. For example, with the MR I do recommend choosing a Companion and go chronological with them, in most cases it does work, in others such as 7/Ace/Hex, I’d recommend giving a Guide a look. Usually if you go chronological (if that’s possible) you can’t do anything wrong. Otherwise, I do say ask for good standalone DW Stories and maybe even say with which Tardis Team, there are plenty of good ones. In regard to Doctors from New Who, they are a bit easier to get into most of the Time it’s very standalone (9DAs on BF are a good example for that, from what I have listened so far). Anyway enough of my overly long rambling, hope you enjoy your journey into the EU, as well as your stay in this Forum!

5 Likes

I definitely recommend picking a favourite Doctor or maybe a companion and starting there.

I am currently listening to all of the Eighth Doctor audios because his entire run was on audio so I feel like I can cross that off quite nicely.

But I’m also listening to loads of other ranges in between :laughing:

7 Likes

Welcome. We are so happy to have you in our community.

I handle this in two ways.

1. Clubs - the clubs here help me to listen and read stuff I might have skipped. Found some favorites this way.
  2. Random/Feeling - I look at what is out there pick something that catches my eye and just dive in.
8 Likes

Yeah the clubs have been great because I’ve always wanted to read the Virgin New Adventures but had zero motivation to start it on my own (my family would have thought I was mad if I started talking about Ace in ancient Mesopotamia) but having people read/watch/listen at the same time and discussing it is a lot of fun!

5 Likes

Sent it to you!!

1 Like

Hi, just a friendly reminder not to discuss piracy on here, we don’t want to be liable for anything like that and potentially risk the site getting into trouble. Thanks!

5 Likes