New Series Adventures: Spectral Scream

New Series Adventures: Spectral Scream by Hannah Fergeson

Released tomorrow! 29/05/25

Released tomorrow, this is one of two brand new Fifteenth Doctor novels in the New Series Adventures range. Starring the Fifteenth Doctor and Belinda Chandra, it’s written by American author and Doctor Who fan Hannah Fergesen.

“There’s some important continuity between Spectral Scream and the episodes that will air in the 2025 season, which was a joy to weave into the narrative […] The experience of writing the book was so fun, and smooth from start to finish. Doctor Who means the world to me, and I hope Spectral Scream manages to highlight some of that love, and bring a bit of it to readers too”

-Hannah Fergesen, DWM 616

Publisher's Synopsis

When a psychic shriek for help nearly overwhelms the TARDIS, the Doctor and Belinda track the source to a distant planet. There they find a sentient, telepathic bioship named Adama and ragged colonists descended from the original crew. Adama is dying, and their spectral screams are growing strong enough to kill anyone in the vicinity.

When Adama crashed 100 years ago, it was with a great treasure on board, stolen from the ruthless Gangnax Imperium – technology that could either unite worlds or destroy them. If they are to save the bioship, the Doctor and Belinda must survive suspicious colonists, greedy bounty hunters and military forces determined to reclaim what’s theirs – before Adama’s final death throes destroy them all.

Just for fun, you can rate this book out of ten once you have finished it!
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
0 voters
8 Likes

Finished this yesterday and it was perfectly fine. Fifteen and Belinda were depicted great. The side characters mostly worked, even if there were a lot of them. It was just not that exciting.

My Fifteenth Doctor NSA rank:

  1. Fear Death By Water
  2. Ruby Red
  3. Cage
  4. Spectral Scream
  5. Eden Rebellion
6 Likes

This one is a bit of a weird one for me, while it has a lot of good things to it and is a pleasant read on its own, it still lacks a certain drift to make this one really special. The Character writing is pretty solid, 15 is written well enough I feel, and I think Belinda is also not written too badly, even if some of her edge she had in the first two episodes of S2 still isn’t quite present as I would wish. Still a nice enough portrayal of the Character.
The Plot itself is fairly solid and there are some great bits to it, that also said the Side Character Cast is sadly not one of the biggest highlight for me, it’s a mixed bag, some of which I am okay with, some of which I am just not.

By no means a bad book, on the contrary I’d say it’s good, and I would be interest in more from Hannah Fergeson, I see a lot of Potential, but I won’t lie I don’t think I will think much of this Book in the Future sadly.

1 Like