New Sea Devils revealed and release date confirmed | 'The War Between the Land and the Sea' comes to BBC One and BBC iPlayer in December

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/the-war-between-the-land-and-the-sea-comes-to-bbc-one-and-bbc-iplayer-in-december

.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Feeling so vindicated by these designs, they look ripper. Exactly the kind of direction they should have gone three years ago, it’s MENTAL that they brought back the 70s design wholesale.

6 Likes

I figured this was a big enough announcement to deserve its own thread, but pardon me if it feels cluttered. :)

5 Likes

I liked the return of the 70s design. I think they updated it just enough to look good for the modern era, maybe the CGI could have been tweaked slightly, but otherwise faithful and a good look. Just like they did with the classic look Sontarans, which were awesome. Those back two ones are winning me over a little, but I still think they look more fish-like rather than the amphibians they’re supposed to be. Regardless of one’s possible complaints about classic vs modern Silurians, at least the Silurians still looked reptilian.

8 Likes

It is so crazy that Disney dont air this at the same time. But good on the BBC to just go their own way now and say â– â– â– â–  you to the American mouse!

9 Likes

I will be in fact resorting to other means to see this same day as the UK.

9 Likes

If we must, we shall.

5 Likes

I’m really going to try going into this with an open mind. I’ve just constantly had this thought of “why do this instead of five more episodes of the main show? Why make a spin-off when the future of the main show is so uncertain?” Disappointments about redesigns, the show being focused on one of the weakest areas that the newest era has done in UNIT, the list goes on. I really hope it’s good and I like it, but I’m struggling a little to get really excited about this show. The news about the 2026 Christmas Special and the main show’s future helps a little though.

14 Likes

The fact that it’s not airing at the same time in non-uk countries is just annoying.

8 Likes

Looks cool, and I love the return to the older design.

I haven’t been sold on it yet, other than the fact that it’s DW. Hopefully they show something that gets me excited.

7 Likes

Agree to disagree as the LotSD sea devils go hard asf and also don’t suffer from prettifying the female character to make her more conventionally attractive than the default design :melting_face:

10 Likes

I think the two at the back look pretty good, and I don’t mind them looking a little more “fishy” as a differentiator from the more reptilian Silurians. The problem is the one in the middle - why does she have a human face again? The whole point of the Sea Devils and the Silurians, IMO, is that they’re supposed to look very alien and inhuman, before the reveal that a) they’re also from Earth and b) that they’re actually very “human-like” as sentient creatures. If you just slap a human face on them, it completely undercuts all that, and I feel like it makes them a whole lot more generic as well. It’s a mistake the Moffat era made too (much as I enjoy Vastra, the treatment of the Silurians themselves in series 5 is pretty shoddy all-round for me personally), so it’s disappointing to see it here again. It gives me the impression that the production team don’t believe the audience will be able to empathise with creatures that don’t have human faces, which I find a bit patronising. I hope we get some good scenes with the more fishy Sea Devils at the back here at least.

I think the Sea Devils and Silurians have both been very poorly served by the programme since 2005, which is a huge shame because they’re some of the best creatures ever conceived for it. I’d love to see them get a story which really shows them at their best. I am getting more optimistic about this one as we get closer to it, but the design of the central Sea Devil is a bit of a red flag for me.

6 Likes

We’ve discussed this before, how RTD really likes to stir the pot with many of his statements…

5 Likes

As the article states, this is all just so performative from RTD. He wants attention, he wants people to think how inclusive he’s being when its all paper thin & superficial. I know some people say there’s no such thing as bad publicity, RTD is proving there is an exception to this.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s quite unfortunate. Most of the time, with his statements over the last couple of years, I’ve just been hoping that he wouldn’t have said anything at all, because that attention-grabbing is so easy to misinterpret and use against him and the show.

6 Likes

The silly thing is, within the world of TWB it would be a cool scene if one of the Sea Devils reacts badly to being called that.

7 Likes

That blog is just the worst though, always trying to get clicks by having negative opinions.

RTD wasn’t being controversial saying the Sea Devils moniker is “racist”. It clearly is, and has been said in the show before! (LotSD). It was a name given to them by a sailor, it’s absolutely not their actual species name.

I hope it is brought up in the show.

This is such a non-story, it’s just the “anti-woke” brigade with bad blogs trying to find another way to complain about RTD.

10 Likes

DOCTOR: Stop right there! Sea Devil.
CHIEF: Land Parasite.
DOCTOR: All right, let’s not get into the name-calling. How would you prefer to be addressed?

9 Likes

Also why is this all in the wrong topic? :thinking:

4 Likes