My New Adventures Experience!

Heya! I’ve made the ill-considered decision to try to finish all of the New Adventures/Missing Adventures books before the end of the year. I thought it might be fun to have a place to write thoughts and force some external motivation to make it through. Would love to hear thoughts on the books I’ve read, or any tips for making this the best possible experience.

Am I likely to finish this? No! But let’s try anyway.

Ground rules: Read everything in publication order, and I’m skipping books with adaptations for now (will cycle back to them eventually!)

Current New Adventure: Strange England
Current Missing Adventure: Goth Opera
Books remaining: 79
Required Pace: 1 book/3.08 days

10 Likes

White Darkness - 4 :star:
I liked this one! It runs into a lot of the issues of Doctor Who historicals and the villain’s motivation was truly a disappointment, but I feel like it held together well and I’m unfortunately a sucker for cosmic horror stuff. Looking forward to another by this author!

3 Likes

McIntee is the king of historical novels! He’s also one of my favorite writers (possibly my very favorite) for the specific TARDIS team dynamic of 7, Ace, and Benny

2 Likes

Now that it’s settled in, I’m really enjoying this team! I’m a huge Benny fan so anytime she gets to do anything I’m there for it.

2 Likes

Benny’s incredible, in almost every book she’s a delight. I love her personality and wit and also her competence!

2 Likes

Ooh wishing you luck on your goal! I’ve been reading the VNAs at the much slower pace of about 1 a month, currently on St Anthony’s Fire.

I remember liking Shadowmind a lot! There’s a specific scene near the end that’s still stuck with me even though I read it over a year ago.

1 Like

I also really liked Shadowmind, it has some great atmosphere, concepts, and my favorite space battle in any story in any medium. (Unless the one in Lords of the Storm surpassed it maybe?)

How are you liking St Anthony’s Fire? I really enjoyed that book myself, although a few aspects were poorly handled (as is fairly typical in the Wilderness Years lol :upside_down_face:)

1 Like

Shadowmind - 5 :star:
Wow, did I enjoy this one! Exciting action and a fun plot. Could be a show episode and I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. Benny and Ace great as always. Personally I wouldn’t make grenades you activate by putting the in your mouth, but what do I know!

Next time: Birthright has an adaptation, so it’s on to Iceberg, along with the Doctor Who Yearbook 1994 and DWM 203-206.

5 Likes

There’s not usually a lot of love for Christopher Bulis’s work on the novels but I remember really enjoying Shadowmind at the time. Good to see it getting some appreciation.

2 Likes

Finished St Anthony’s Fire yesterday, overall I did enjoy it!

2 Likes

McIntee’s also very good with the Master. I vaguely remember enjoying The Dark Path and First Frontier, and really enjoyed The Face of the Enemy. I also remember enjoying The Wages of Sin which was one of his I think.

4 Likes

This is not at all a popular opinion, but I don’t think you’re missing out at all by skipping Birthright lol.

4 Likes

Bulis is one of my favorites! I’ve read five of his books now and he’s really got endless creativity

1 Like

And I’m here to be the angel on your other shoulder and say it’s really good (and the adaptation is quite different as it was for the Benny range so changes a fair bit to tie it into the Time Ring trilogy (not least Ace being swapped out for Jason).

3 Likes

In terms of the overall story you probably could skip Birthright, but I found it a really enjoyable “Doctor Lite” book.
Haven’t heard the Big Finish version though…

1 Like

I like the Doctor lite aspect, I think it’s a fun direction for a novel, but almost everything else about the book left me either cold or actively frustrated.

I do think the stuff about how the TARDIS split is really cool.

2 Likes

Yeah this is the genesis of the Jade Pagoda version that we have in Iceberg right?

1 Like

Sort of, the things more or less happen concurrently I believe.

There’s also a later novel where the Jade Pagoda comes back…

1 Like

:+1: I am up to Tragedy Day on my read-through of the VNAs now.

Finally a TARDIS team that likes each other :grin:

2 Likes

Yes!! It’s really nice to get to that point. I really enjoy Tragedy Day, it’s the start of what i think is a consistently strong ten-book run (with one dud in the middle). Although I felt this team liked each other before too, basically from White Darkness through The Left-Handed Hummingbird, and then Conundrum set them at each other’s throats with absolutely no prompting and No Future decided to go along with that. That’s the biggest reason I didn’t really enjoy Conundrum, despite liking a lot of the other stuff in it.

3 Likes