It's a Family Affair

One of Red Dawn’s points of interest is the fact that Georgia Moffat is in the cast - Peter Davison’s daughter. The actual Doctor’s Daughter - but before she also became the Doctor’s Wife.

It got me thinking about other familial and marital relationships in Doctor Who.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head:

• Jon Pertwee and Jean Marsh were once married.
  • Colin Baker and Liza Goddard (from Terminus) were also married.
  • Michael Craze met his future wife, Edwina, whilst working on The Tenth Planet. His brother Peter is in The Space Museum, The War Games and Nightmare of Eden.
  • Geoffrey Bayldon (Creature from the Pit) and Alan Rowe (Horror of Fang Rock etc) were partners.
  • Both of Troughton’s sons have appeared in the show - David more than once and Michael in Last Christmas - as well as now playing his father’s role on audio.
  • McCoy’s two sons are both Haemovores in The Curse of Fenric.
  • Karen Gillan and Caitlin Blackwood are cousins.
  • Tom and Lalla and their ill-fated marriage.
  • Rex Robinson (Dr Tyler in The Three Doctors) was married to Patricia Prior (Mrs Ollis from The Three Doctors).

I’m sure I’l think of some more…

12 Likes

Alex Kingston ropes her daughter in for a few of her Diary of River Song episodes.

10 Likes

Not sure if it pertains to this category, but I love that Georgia Moffat/Tennant has said that she went to school with one of Colin Baker’s daughters and was under the illusion that everyone’s dad was a Doctor Who :grin:

14 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that.

2 Likes

There seem to be a lot of Baker’s involved with Doctor Who: Tom Baker, Colin Baker, Pip & Jane Baker, Bob Baker. Don’t know if any of them are related, though…

4 Likes

The actress playing Lady Jennifer in the War Games was Producer Derrick Sherwin’s wife; the actress who played Petra in Inferno was, if I remember correctly, the director’s wife; and Hamish Wilson who played the reconstructed Jamie in the Mind Robber was Frazer’s cousin.

5 Likes

Not as far as I’m aware (save Pip and Jane being married of course).

2 Likes

I believe the Hamish Wilson being Hines’ cousin is a fan myth.

3 Likes

David Tennant’s father, Sandy, is a butler in The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Peter Davison’s first wife, Sandra Dickinson is in The Ghosts of N Space.

3 Likes

Lisa Bowerman and David Warner were partners, as were I believe Caroline John and Geoffrey Beevers

5 Likes

Indeed they were and Daisy Ashford, their daughter now plays Liz on audio.

Elisabeth Sladen and Brian Miller (Snakedance, Deep Breath and occasional Dalek voice) were married and of course Sadie Miller now plays Sarah Jane.

4 Likes

And Brian Miller is also in SJA episode The Mad Woman in the Attic!

2 Likes

I have no people to add but I have to mention that Wheezing Groaning Sound podcast does a bit where they imagine Peter Davison standing with Georgia Moffett and David Tennant in the front garden of Matthew Waterhouse just yelling up like “LOOK WHAT I HAVE! FUCKING LEGACY! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT ADRIC? NOTHING!” and it made me nearly piss myself with laughter.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Pik-Sen Lim, who played Captain Chin Lee in The Mind of Evil, was married to the story’s writer, Don Houghton

3 Likes

I want that shirt so bad

8 Likes