I Thought That Was Non-Diegetic: The Bracket Tournament

Welcome to I Thought That Was Non-Diegetic: The Real-World Music of Televised Doctor Who and the Whoniverse Bracket Tournament.

Here we have 46 songs for your evaluation that have appeared on screen on Doctor Who, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures, or Class. To qualify, they must:

  1. have been heard on screen (i.e., not merely mentioned by a character) in the form of a pre-existing studio recording (e.g., not the Doctor singing to himself)
  2. not be library/production music (i.e., the insert music from the TV movie, good though it is)
  3. be diegetic (heard by the characters) within the episode (e.g., Toxic in The End of the World counts; Toxic in Lux doesn’t)
  4. and have been listed on the “Songs from the real world” category on TARDIS Wiki so I could find them.

There may very well be mistakes in here, because I have not watched a ton of these episodes. So guess what? If there are, they’re staying!

A complete list of the contestants, including YouTube links, is here. Hopefully that link will last.

Obviously with such a weird number there will be a number of byes in the first round. To determine the seeds for the songs, I grouped them as follows:

  1. Can’t Get You Out of My Head, Tainted Love, Rasputin, Toxic, Spice Up Your Life, I Can’t Decide, and Voodoo Child, as the most recognizable in their respective stories
  2. All other songs from Doctor Who proper
  3. All songs from Torchwood, SJA, or Class, plus the one from Dreamland

Then I randomly sorted the songs within each group to get the final seeds, which are as follows:

This will undoubtedly be a huge cluster as I lose my mind trying to figure out what I’m doing. Come! Be entertained!

17 Likes

Round 1

Our first matchup is:

Round 1, Match 1

Turn the Music Louder by KDA [1] feat. Tinie Tempah and Katy B
as heard in the Class episode “For Tonight We Might Die”

vs.

I See You Baby (Fatboy Slim remix) by Groove Armada feat. Gramma Funk
as heard in the Torchwood episode “Out of Time”

  • Turn the Music Louder
  • I See You Baby
0 voters

  1. sadly not K/DA, iykyk ↩︎

2 Likes

Next we have two more songs I’ve never heard of, this time by bands I’ve never heard of either:

Round 1, Match 2

Don’t Mug Yourself by The Streets
as heard in the Doctor Who episode “Father’s Day”

vs.

Monster by The Automatic
as heard in the Torchwood episode “Countrycide” [1]

  • Don’t Mug Yourself
  • Monster
0 voters

  1. possibly my favorite TW episode title, and that is saying A LOT ↩︎

2 Likes

And finally for tonight:

Round 1, Match 3

Midnight, the Stars and You by Ray Noble and His Orchestra, vocals by Al Bowlly
as heard in the Doctor Who episode “The Doctor Falls”

vs.

Pass Out by returning contestant Tinie Tempah
as heard in the Sarah Jane Adventures episode “Lost in Time”

  • Midnight, the Stars and You
  • Pass Out
0 voters

Btw, these polls all close in roughly 24 hours at midnight (12:00:01am) on Sunday, July 20, EDT.

3 Likes

Not appearing in this Tournament:

Slate - Merry Christmas Everybody, as heard in every Christmas special ever.

vs.
The Beatles - Ticket To Ride - as danced to by Ian Chesterton in The Chase

  • Merry Christmas Everybody
  • Ticket To Ride
0 voters
6 Likes

DAMN IT I missed Ticket to Ride. I’m voting for it on those grounds.

9 Likes

Merry Christmas Everybody’s actually played in multiple episodes, too. Mostly because I think it’s the most popular Christmas song in the UK…

9 Likes

Oh hell, I didn’t realize there were subcategories on the wiki category. That’s how I missed them both.

Oh well! I would have excluded Christmas songs anyway, and a glance through the others suggests they mostly didn’t qualify. Paperback Writer was one I specifically thought of when I was dreaming this up, though. I told you it would be a cluster.

8 Likes

Oh, it happens. Ticket To Ride is memorable to me because of being footage that only still exists because of the Doctor Who episode, and also being cut from some copies for copyright.

Merry Xmas Everybody is memorable to me because I like Slade. (But I also like the Beatles.)

I might have to listen and see where Don’t Mug Yourself is in Father’s Day, as I don’t really remember it. Monster is a great song anyways, though, and I watched Countrycide not that long ago…

7 Likes

The hip-hop song anachronistically interrupted “Never Gonna Give You Up” on Peter Tyler’s car radio on 7 November 1987. Rose Tyler, in the car with him, was confused at this. The paradox created by her meddling with time and saving her dad was causing time to collapse. (TV: Father’s Day [+])

7 Likes

Truly insane of you to put this together :heart: I love hearing songs from episodes I’ve definitely seen (multiple times!) and yet have zero recognition of them

8 Likes

beyonce-flawless

9 Likes

Okay, yeah, think I hear it there. Very strange to have a 2003 song in 1987, but then, that was the point…

6 Likes

This is an awesome idea! Thanks for putting this together! I’m excited to see the results and its fun to hear all the music from the episodes that I’ve totally missed.

7 Likes

it’s so muggy out here

7 Likes

Thanks for putting this one together! Wow, I have so many thoughts regarding the state of “music,” but we’ll focus on the tracks at hand. Disclaimer: there may be strong opinions ahead, but no personal attack is intended, so if any of these are your favourite artists/songs, then I’m happy for you. :hugs:

I voted for ‘Turn the Music Louder’ in the first match because, despite the annoying trend of everyone in the world featuring on everyone else’s songs these days (seriously, can no one’s work stand on its own?), I didn’t hear much autotune, so there was actual singing, and it was slightly catchier than ‘I See You Baby.’

That Tinie Tempah person was by far the worst part of the track, though, so when I saw him reappear in the third match, there was definite Gen X eyerolling happening, and it was just as awful as I expected it to be. No one needs you to stand there and tell us all how great you think you are. Such an easy vote for ‘Midnight, the Stars and You.’

The second match was also pretty easy, as I found ‘Monster’ to be a genuinely decent song. I wouldn’t necessarily add it to a playlist or anything, but it was good. ‘Don’t Mug Yourself’ was…a song.

For the bonus match, both were good songs. In the end, even though I’m not quite old enough to have been alive before The Beatles broke up, I won’t vote against them, especially because Ian is dancing to them. It’s just so wholesome.

Okay, you can all come for me. :rofl:

5 Likes

All of you voting against Slade, you’ve been added to my list

5 Likes

Your name will go on the list. What is your name?

4 Likes

Merry Xmas Everybody is objectively one of the best Christmas songs

4 Likes

Which version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight was in DW? Was it Tight Fit or The Tokens?

4 Likes