Hot Potatoes & for the Glory of Sontar -- the Sontarans Thread

Despite being one of the biggest Villains from the Whoniverse, our beloved Warriors haven’t gotten their very own thread yet (unless I missed something in my Search). So here we have it a Thread for them, talk about any Sontaran you like and remember don’t trust any of those Rutans! :wink:

On a serious Note, what is your favorite Use of them in any Story? What is your favorite Story of theirs? Favorite EU Story? And most importantly.. how do you make your Potatoes, seriously, let me know!
And for anybody needing to refresh their Minds, here is a List:

9 Likes

Something I think that’s crazy about Sontarans, they’ve had two focus stories in New Who. ONLY TWO! They’d work against any Doctor, its criminal 12 never got one!

10 Likes

Ruddy love the potato boys.

8 Likes

LOVED sontranas vs rutans last year and also the 9da with them is great

9 Likes

Still blows my mind, yes we have Strax but like he barely counts!! I am honestly surprised we never got a Sontaran vs Rutan Episode in the Revival, I know BF did something with that last Year (still need to hear more of it!) but still wouldn’t mind a TV Episode focused on that!

8 Likes

WAR OF THE SONTARANS :heart_eyes: Such a good use of them

7 Likes

Yes!! I love them in that Episode and really in all the Flux, best televised Sontaran Story since the Sontaran Experiment (for me) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Love the sontarains!

Can’t think of my fav story with them tho

5 Likes

Not their best outing, but I’d argue the best music they ever got:

6 Likes

The Last Sontaran my beloved, Kaagh is a real good foil for the SJA crew

5 Likes

Surrender to the glory of the Sontaran empire!
SONTAR-HA!

5 Likes

Three if you count spin offs (and you should, their best story is in one)

2 Likes

I’d like to see more appearances of the Sontarans as main enemies, in New Who we only got two stories where they were the primary villains.

4 Likes

The First Sontarans is a brilliant story and one of the best ‘origin’ stories for Doctor Who monsters.

5 Likes

The Great Sontaran War might just be my favourite Sontaran story. I love how James Goss uses the Sontaran’s mindset of warfare and honour to tell a really human story.

3 Likes

Personally, I’ve never been that convinced by the Sontarans as baddies on TV, mostly because I don’t think their modus operandi is as unique as some of the programme’s other long-running villains - despite their “thing” being that they’re a highly militaristic clone society, a lot of their stories don’t feel like they revolve around or utilise that to me (all of their classic serials would work equally well with other villains, IMO, and the NuWho ones aren’t much different). However, there are a few stories on audio in which I think they really shine, with the big two for me being The Sontarans and Salvation Nine. They’re both stories which really utilise the Sontarans as a unique villain - the former demonstrates what a fearsome military force they are, while the latter contrasts them against a group who’ve become pacifist, with the Doctor having to decide whether or not to help them. Definitely two I would recommend to anyone looking for some Sontaran audios.

Will definitely look into The First Sontarans and The Great Sontaran War at some point, as suggested above. I do have Heroes of Sontar, which I’ll listen to once I get around to the older Nyssa arc at some point.

4 Likes

Heroes of Sontar leans into the ‘comedy’ Sontaran trope - forewarned is forearmed.

I do recommend the BBV Sontaran audios if you can get hold of them: Silent Warrior, Old Soldiers and Conduct Unbecoming.

2 Likes

Thanks - I don’t mind the comedy Sontaran trope too much, because I think it’s pretty much the default for how they’re treated in NuWho anyway (besides the series 4 two-parter). I’ll see how I get on when I listen to it.

Whereabouts would one find the BBV audios nowadays? They’re an area of the wilderness years stuff that I have very little knowledge of, besides the fact they exist. I didn’t even know there was a Sontaran spin-off!

1 Like

They seem to be on ebay for not too stupid a price.

2 Likes

I did like that, since the Doctor is already aware of the Sontarans in The Time Warrior, Big Finish wrote a story where the First Doctor meets them for the first time, and called it simply “The Sontarans”.

5 Likes