Hello from Sweden! :D

I suggest you start with Swedish, because it’s a bit closer to English in terms of grammar and sentence structure. From there, it’s not too far a jump to Danish. Don’t bother with Norwegian; it’s not a real language. Icelandic, meanwhile, sounds like a fantasy language created by Tolkien. Or like a Viking language. It’s pretty cool.

And Finnish isn’t even part of the same language family and is quite tricky to learn!

9 Likes

Yes, they can be quite cost-prohibitive. Occasionally one can find a book or two at a reasonable price. The other day I was able to find three of the '80s Target novelisations at a used bookshop in small town U.S. for $4 each. My fingers are crossed for you! :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m currently on a 335 day Swedish streak on Duolingo :wink: Why not join me? :grin:

8 Likes

The Day of the Doctor by Steven Moffat, The Witchfinders by Joy Wilson and The Giggle by James Goss are fantastic, can’t recommend enough.

Non-Targets that I still want to mention are Festival of Death by Jonathan Morris, The Eyeless by Lance Parkin, Beautiful Chaos by Gary Russell, Touched By an Angel by Jonathan Morris, The Blood Cell by James Goss and Torchwood: The Twilight Streets by Gary Russell.

9 Likes

So you’re saying we should start with Quenya?

3 Likes

I was just about to say, I knew Duolingo had Swedish but I’m surprised it also has Norwegian Cruise Line, Finnish, and Danish!

I’m stumped, can you help me :pensive_face:

5 Likes

You can do this, I believe in you :wink:

5 Likes

Oh, what a find! I live in a rather small remote village, so unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll have that kind of luck with local stores. Unfortunately, I haven’t found many Swedish online shops that sell DW books either so far, but I’m on the lookout!

I’ve got another friend of mine who is equally eager, so we’re hunting the prowl that is Second-Hand sites to the best of our abilities :saluting_face:

5 Likes

Oh, you have a team! Well done!

5 Likes

My best advice is to keep an eye out, you can get some decent prices actually for some of those expensive books, even if you aren’t in the UK/US! Good luck on your journey with it! :saluting_face:

4 Likes

Hej, mjölk och kaffe, tack!

:star_struck:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the tips! I’ve actually seen a few of them for sale for a decent second-hand price online, but I was unsure if they were worth getting. I think it was “Beautiful Chaos” and “Touched by an Angel” if I recall correctly. I’ll check them out!

Again, thank you so much for the recommendations! Any help navigating the vastness that is DW stuff is well appreciated :blush:

6 Likes

We’re always happy to help if you have any questions! So ask away :blush:

6 Likes

Will do! As of right now, I’m pretty blank on the questions front, but any and all recommendations on Audiodramas, books, and podcasts I welcome with open arms!

Also, I must say, I really enjoy the people on here. It’s very pleasant and honestly way more active than I thought it would be

6 Likes

We have a thread specifically for recommendations!

7 Likes

You can get as many recommendations on here as you would like, the trouble is getting people to stop again :wink:

Anyway, I definitely recommend the 10th Doctor book “Prisoner of the Daleks” by Trevor Baxendale. Really a good read.
And audio play wise I highly recommend the brilliant “I, Davros” mini-series from Big Finish Productions.

6 Likes

Hello Tuva! Welcome. Thank you for joining us. I hope you enjoy your time here.

7 Likes

Hej och välkommen!!! Kul med fler svenskar här! Hoppas att du kommer att trivas på forumet och säg bara till om du undrar något!

8 Likes

Hej hej!!! Absolut, alltid en liten lycka när det finns folk från samma hörna av världen. Kan lätt säga att jag trivs redan, och det är till stor del tack vare er användare!

8 Likes

Jag var först Svensken här men nu har vi blivit ett litet gäng med @TrocaNero, @Molly och nu du. Är väldigt kul!

Kan intyga att det är väldigt bra människor här! :star_struck:

9 Likes