The Weeping Angels is one point short as far as I can see ![]()
Oops that was my copy/paste error!
Fixed it ![]()
I agree with you; I actually really like the Well as a Midngiht sequel, even though it’s not perfect by any means. It’s still scary and inventive, so I really enjoy it!
For me, it comes down to the fact that what I find most compelling about the entity in Midnight is that we learn absolutely nothing about it for certain - we don’t know what it is, what its motivation is or where it comes from, and that makes it “alien” beyond most Doctor Who aliens. When it comes back in The Well, we get answers to all three of those questions above, and we even get a glimpse of what it looks like. I agree it’s still an effective and compelling monster, but it’s much more of a “standard Doctor Who monster” than it is in its first appearance, IMO. Making it a separate creature really would have enhanced the latter story for me.
For the record, I do somewhat agree with your point about the Angels, I think their depictions in the series 5 two-parter and Flux have the same issue of taking a monster that was very unknowable and alien in their first appearance and giving them very traditional Doctor Who monster motivations. Where the Angels differ for me is that their central conceit is so incredibly good I can overlook some of the missteps with them since. Plus, the Statue of Liberty Angel has always been cool…
Plus, the Statue of Liberty Angel has always been cool…
You think? I feel like this is one of the worst decisions that Moffat has ever made. It almost destroyed the coolest new monster with that move alone.
I’m fine with it personally, because it’s really just intended as a cool visual. Absolutely, it doesn’t make sense that the Statue of Liberty would be an Angel, and it definitely wouldn’t ever be unobserved moving across the city, but at the same time, the Liberty Angel doesn’t actually affect the plot of the episode in any way - it works the same with or without it, so I don’t think it breaks the episode. I’ve always headcanoned it as all the time shenanigans going on in 1930s New York affecting people’s perception, so they don’t notice it, or the Angel building is in some kind of bubble dimension and that’s where the Liberty Angel lives, or something similar. It doesn’t really matter in the story the episode is telling, so I don’t feel I need it to make logical sense or be fully explained in the way that other stuff does.
it’s really just intended as a cool visual
The thing is, I think that this is where it fails. It just feels goofy, in the wrong way…
I’m sorry but I prefer Dhawan (ah, shut your faces) and there’s no world where the Weeping Angels should be beaten by the sodding Rhino Space Police!
I gave a tumb’s up, but more for the Missy down vote (I’m a Saxon supporter). I’m not as anti-sodding Rhino Space Police as you are. In fact I like them, but I don’t find them really villainous or even scary.
I do like them but, a bit like the complaints against the Midnight Entity, I think after Smith and Jones they sort of go nowhere and just get used as background artists which doesn’t build on any potential they had in their first story.
My complaint about the Midnight Entity is that in The Well it acts in a totally different way than it acts in Midnight.
I’ve never had an issue with that as the story is explicitly set a long, long time after Midnight - it has evolved. We know so little about the Entity from what Midnight tells us and far from compromising that mystery, I think The Well adds to it. This is still a predatory creature which is unseen, silent and deadly. I don’t have an issue with it having more than one modus operandi. Do humans only kill in one way?
You said what I wanted to say so well. Sometimes recurring enemies get too one-dimensional, but I feel like The Well avoids this problem really well.
Plus the creature still acts in the same way. Its still toying with the humans, even if its in a radically different way.
The Silence are cool but they’re only really in two decent stories, one of which is a solid two parter and the other is one of the worst finales in Nu Who. I like them and their concept is awesome, but compared to my favorite incarnation of the Master, and the coolest recurring monster since the Cybermen, I don’t really see another option.
Much as I adore the Silence, I can’t argue with that rationale - the Angels and Missy are both top-tier baddies.
I love the Silence but they aren’t used enough in TV episodes. I’m looking forward to one day listening to them in the UNIT series.
Missy’s supposed to be at 4
So happy Missy won I love her.
