Favourite Season 3 Story

What’s everyone’s favorite Season 3 story or stories? Remember, you can vote for more than one.

• Galaxy 4
  • Mission to the Unknown
  • The Myth Makers
  • The Daleks’ Master Plan
  • The Massacre
  • The Ark
  • The Celestial Toymaker
  • The Gunfighters
  • The Savages
  • The War Machines
0 voters
1 Like

I can vote for more than one, but…

Honestly, think I’ve only seen 4 of these. The War Machines was great, though.

1 Like

I love The War Machines and I am massively looking forward to The Celestial Toymaker animation.

2 Likes

Yet another Hartnell Season that I love. Even while I like most of the Stories here, the answer is pretty obvious to me: Massacre and Daleks Masterplan. One a wonderful epic with Daleks that offers a lot of what makes who well… who. Having Jean Marsh as Sara is always a plus, and in general its a great shame that so much of it is missing. Shame also goes to the Massacre, such a good story that gives so much to Steven’s Character. The End Monologue is one of the great’s. While not as consistently good as the previous two Seasons, when it hits, it hits very much in this one!

3 Likes

Interesting that no one voted for Mission to the Unknown and the two with only one vote are missing in their entirety.

People definitely need to watch “The Myth Makers” again! I surely can’t be the only one who loves it to bits :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok, “watch” might not be entirely applicable here…

1 Like

I think The Myth Makers is one that suffers from lack of visuals because of the various action sequences. It’s kind of hard to excited by a sword fight in lower-quality stills or on audio that isn’t designed as audio.

2 Likes

I’ve really tried to like it but I don’t find it funny and I don’t particularly like the way it goes from comedy to massacre in the last episode. It’s a bit like The Gunfighters in that respect.

2 Likes

Honestly I do like Myth Makers, it does suffer from arguably having the worst suriving audios and the lack of any visuals or tele snaps. I think an Animation could benefit from an Animation quite a lot and hey I am happy they at least bother to pair Vicki up with a Guy that she has some chemistry, although I am still sad that she got basically booted up by John Wiles for petty Reasons

2 Likes

I do like Mission to the Unknown personally but I must confess as it is, I feel like it’s kinda more a bonus to Daleks Masterplan than really its own thing, I think that maybe is a big factor why People would rarely chose it over most of the other Stories. Like dont get me wrong I really like it and dig this little small approach, wouldnt mind if we got this more often in any other Doctors era. In many ways this was a precursor to the Doctor Lite Episodes that we would get later on in the Revival, sadly unlike those this cant stand on its own as well as many of those (even Turn Left which does a lot of setting up for the finale of Series 4 is basically its own Story fully). But that’s just how I view it, at the end I still like it even if I dont love it.

1 Like

Now I’m almost getting anxious to watch it again, I’ve probably built it up in my head :wink:

But come on, The Doctor constantly trying to not invent the Trojan Horse is a good bit. Instead inventing a siege engine to launch man-sized “paper planes” and furiously backpedaling when he is told he is to be the first one launched.

And just the general subversion of so many of the characters from mythology. Everyone being so exasperated with Cassandra and her prophesies. And Vicky getting caught up in history as Cressida. Please someone find it in a loft or garage or something - I want to actually watch this one :grin:

They should have kept the working title for episode 4 though in my opinion - “Is There a Doctor in the Horse?”, that’s puntastic that is. Oh well, missed opportunities…

2 Likes