Favourite 7th Doctor Companions (Across All Mediums)

Who’s your favorite 7th Doctor companion? Note that this is from across all mediums and includes all TV companions and only multi-story companions from other mediums. Feel free to comment explanations for your choices, but you don’t have to. You can choose as many as you want.

• Melanie “Mel” Bush
  • Dorothy “Ace” McShane
  • Bernice Summerfield (Virgin New Adventures/Big Finish)
  • Chris Cwej (Virgin New Adventures)
  • Roz Forrester (Virgin New Adventures)
  • Bev Tarrant (Big Finish)
  • Thomas Hector “Hex” Schofield (Big Finish)
  • Elizabeth Klein (Big Finish)
  • Raine Creevy (Big Finish)
  • Sally Morgan (Big Finish)
  • Lysandra Aristedes (Big Finish)
  • Will Arrowsmith (Big Finish)
  • Mags (Big Finish)
  • Harry Sullivan (Big Finish)
  • Naomi Cross (Big Finish)
0 voters
1 Like

I need to go back and relisten to all the stories that lead to Klein being a companion, it’s been a while

2 Likes

Ace is the obvious choice for a lot of reasons but especially for dropping the hardest line of Classic Who

9 Likes

she’s a legend. my ultimate doctor who fave

2 Likes

If there was a poll for overall companion (not sure how big polls can get) for me it would be between Jamie and Ace, with a few that are close second

3 Likes

I am probably a minority here but I like Mel more than Ace (I only have the TV stories to go on)

2 Likes

I think I do too especially on audio.

@shauny or @deltaandthebannermen This needs the “companions” tag.

Mel is very underrated! She’s always been a favorite of mine since I first saw her in Terror of the Vervoids. Her chemistry with Colin in that story is unmatched but I adore her in Season 24 as well!

4 Likes

It is one of these spots where it’s really a shame that we didn’t get more of 6/Mel onscreen. Though, of course, once you get to 7, 7/Ace is unmatched…

2 Likes

Honestly, Seven’s era is a gold mine of companions. Ace is incredible. Mel is so underrated. All three of his original novel companions (Benny, Chris, and Roz) are top tier in my opinion as well. On audio, Hex is very fun and also gets some of the best stories in the franchise, while Klein is fascinating, also gets some very good stories to be in, and I love the changing and exploration of her character across her appearances.

4 Likes

It’s one of these areas where I really need to listen to more audio. The only Big Finish companion of 7 I’ve heard is Hex, and only having heard him in Live 34 isn’t a good representation…

2 Likes

The Harvest is his introductory story and it’s really good, a good twist on the Cybermen too. Be aware that starting with Angel of Scutari, it’s best to listen to Hex in order from that point onward.

2 Likes

The Harvest? I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I have pretty much been thinking that if I’m going to try to listen to audios again, it ought be something different then the ones I’d already been failing at listening to, and starting at the first adventure of a companion seems like a good idea…

2 Likes

There’s the audio club that’s been starting the Main Range from the beginning. We’re currently on Whispers of Terror.

2 Likes

That’d definitely be an idea. Not sure when I’m going to try listening to audios again yet, though, and pretty soon you’ll be hitting one I have heard, followed by the one I’ve listened to the first half of several times…

2 Likes

I love Live 34, it’s definitely not intended as an introduction story tho

3 Likes

I’ll be a fan of 7/Benny/Roz/Chris 'til I die!! What a perfect dynamic!

1 Like

Yeah, I could tell it was great, but I definitely should’ve listened to it later, and I should probably relisten to it later…

1 Like

They’re great! I personally enjoy 7/Chris/Roz and 7/Ace/Benny more as VNA TARDIS team permutations (mostly bc I feel like Benny never really gels with Roz & Chris, Roz especially, and the Adjudicators often get sidelined in books with all three), but you can’t really go wrong with any of those companions.

2 Likes