Favourite 3rd Doctor Companions (Across All Mediums)

Who’s your favorite 3rd Doctor companion? Note that this is from across all mediums and includes all TV companions and only multi-story companions from other mediums. Feel free to comment explanations for your choices, but you don’t have to. You can choose as many as you want.

• Liz Shaw
  • Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
  • Sgt. John Benton
  • Jo Grant
  • Capt. Mike Yates
  • Sarah Jane Smith
  • Arnold (TV Comic)
  • Jeremy Fitzoliver (BBC Audio)
  • The Master (Technically not a Companion, but as he appears in 1/3 of Pertwee’s TV stories and ends up working with the Doctor at some point in most of them, I feel obliged to add him.)
0 voters
1 Like

The best!

proxy-image

8 Likes

I know everyone rates Jo and Sarah Jane, but for me no one beats the original 3rd Doctor companion - Dr Elizabeth Shaw. Caroline John is marvellous and, in real life, was a lovely, lovely person to meet (not that Katy and Elisabeth aren’t/weren’t but I have fond memories of meeting Caroline).

6 Likes

Liz and Sarah and Jo, Three really had some of the greatest companions ever :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I wish I could vote twice. I love Liz Shaw’s character and she kicked bottom wonderfully, but I’ve a soft spot for Jo as she’s just lovely (as is Katie IRL) and was the first companion I saw.

You can vote for more than one companion.

I didn’t even look to be honest as polls are usually one vote only. Cheers!

2 Likes

Yeah, you can vote for as many as you want.

I’m a little surprised that Liz is topping out the Poll. I would’ve thought that Jo and Sarah Jane would be vying for top spot.

1 Like

I think Liz had such potential that was cut short, that may be why!

5 Likes

I mean, I really like Liz too. I just assumed that fandom tends to prefer Jo or Sarah because of their higher prominance in the show.

1 Like

It’s always nice when received wisdom gets challenged :smiley:

1 Like

I honestly felt like the 3rd doctor couldn’t go wrong as far as companions go. Liz, Jo, and Sarah were all great! They were actually on quite a streak with companions for a while; Leela, K9, and Romana I/II were great, too.

6 Likes

Yep. Thankfuly we have Big Finish to expand on her character. Daisy Ashford is great in the role.

1 Like

Is this post a silent dig on Adric? :wink:

It’s interesting that Sarah Jane is in fourth place and that the Brig is beating out Jo. I always thought Liz was the forgotton companion because it seemed like everyone either loved Jo or Sarah.

2 Likes

I am a bit shocked with the number of Companions Three had, thought he would have had more! Obviously you can’t beat Liz, Jo and Sarah, all three have a different yet equally good dynamic with Three and are wonderfully played by their respective actresses! The Brigadier is wonderful Nic Courtney is always a blast to watch, although I am not sure if I count him as Companion, there is a definitely a case to be made! In general, a really strong line-up (cant speak on Arnold, since I am really not aware with him yet). Oh and Jeremy, he exists, that’s all I am going to say about him.

4 Likes

Well, the Brig’s been in more episodes then Donna, and has traveled in the TARDIS a time or two…

3 Likes

I added the Brig, Yates, Benton and the Master to the Third Doctor since all four are series regulars for this era, particularly in Season 8.

3 Likes

As much as I love Jo, I just don’t think she’s a good companion for Three. He spends their first season and a half together complaining about her incompetence and stupidity, and I just don’t get the feeling that he actually likes or cares about her. There’s definitely some growth later on, and by the time she leaves I do see their love for each other, but those early episodes are rough. Made it hard to get through.

2 Likes