Episode Discussion: The Legend of Ruby Sunday

I would like to put a question to the group.
When hearing the phrase “Threefold Deity” that can only refer to it’s mainstream usage as the God of Christianity right? At least they must have known that that is what is heavily implied, I can’t believe that that would have passed editing if it wasn’t deliberate.

I am not religious as such, but was raised on Christian values in a culture where much of the society is based on the rules of Christianity. I was a part of a troop of scouts where Christianity somewhat played a role, heck I even sang in a church choir.
I don’t mind media such as Doctor Who challenging Christianity or religion in general, but going out of their way to call it the “Threefold Deity of Malice and Mischief and Misery”? That’s taking it a step to far don’t you think?
Even if it is meant somewhat lightheartedly such statements are bound to alienate a part of viewers surely?

5 Likes

Not really. While mainstream Christianity does the whole “Father/Son/Holy Ghost” thing, there’s also Mother/Maiden/Crone, the three fates, the furies, Diana, who is the “three-form goddess” and such. There are others, too. Gods tend to come in threes.

In this case, I suspect they are thinking of the Gods of Ragnarök, though.

I suspect a fair amount of it is that a typical family unit is a father, mother, and child…

11 Likes

Just to add: My first thought was Hecate from Greek mythology. In Hinduism, there’s the Trimurti (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva). It seems that triple beings are also significant in ancient Celtic cultures.

7 Likes

I know. Why does Kate hire so many kids? With Morris, it is explained that he is a genius.

7 Likes

She can pay them less, because they are under 16?

16 Likes

Who would have guessed that Kate would expose kids to child labor? But I guess building time windows is expensive and UNIT might have to save money on other budget posts.

11 Likes

I’d never heard of that phrase. In fact, the only result when searching (DuckDuckGo) is a RadioTimes article about Doctor Who!

“Triple Deity” is the top result, which is a common trope in religions.

I don’t think it is in any way implied to be about Christianity, but that’s just my opinion.

8 Likes

I can see from the replies that I might have analyzed the entire situation in a wrong way :slightly_smiling_face:
The Threefold God is almost a literal translation of a way the Christian God is talked about in Danish - plus the whole Sue Tech “anagram” situation took my focus a bit out of the story :wink:

5 Likes

I interpreted the three as these guys:

13 Likes

Right, the Gods of Ragnarök. I loved The Greatest Show in the Galaxy…

Though the furies wouldn’t be too bad of a fit either.

7 Likes

Misread that as the furries and was very confused what Survival has to do with anything for a second

12 Likes

One thing that no-one has commented on yet are the three unseen adventures referenced at the beginning of the episode. Quite apart from the fact of how was the Doctor able to instantaneously project the flashbacks on screen within seconds of arrival with no setup, why were we robbed of what would appear to have been the most sci-fi based episodes of this season set on other planets in favour of so many earth-based stories?

11 Likes

It would have been nice for newer people to the show if they had done something like this imo

13 Likes

I think that this was a bit too much but something like what they did in The Giggle would have been nice.

11 Likes

Come on a Power of Kroll reference! Who wouldn’t love that? :sunglasses:

I love that giant squid :octopus: :green_heart::wink:

8 Likes

I thought it was just a nice way of showing that he and Ruby have had more, unseen adventures together and that was a little peek.

One day it could be filled in by books or Big Finish, but doesn’t need to be to make me content.

It’s just nice to see they have had more adventures.

14 Likes

The Mara did appear in the anthology book Tales of Trenzalore which featured the Eleventh Doctor.

Apparently, Shirley is in Geneva during this story. But, according to RTD, will be back at some point.

10 Likes

The funding crisis really did them in.

3 Likes

Yup. I read that book too. Really overdue a teturn to the main show, though! :smile:

And, yes, I gather Shirley will be back. Had no problem with Morris. Not many shows he could appear in, but certainly not amiss in Doctor Who. Also, gotta be said that for achild actor, Lenny Rush is very good indeed. He’s quirky and different. Welcome in the show so far as I’m concerned.

10 Likes

Yes. I also love narrative gaps and hints like that. All points to a richer, fuller universe as well. And, as you say, ripe territory for Big Finish and others. :smile:

10 Likes