Episode Discussion: Empire of Death

This thread contains open SPOILERS for the Empire of Death, and the rest of the season. Please only discuss this episode here (well, it’s a two-parter, so both parts, really), and use the other threads for discussions about future episodes.

The exciting conclusion to this season is “Empire of Death”! If you want to discuss the others, head to their respective threads.

There’s a trailer here:

This’ll be posted a few hours before the episode, so you can speculate and such before it comes out here. You can reference earlier episodes, but the main discussion in this thread should be for Empire of Death.

So, who is Ruby Sunday’s mother? Is she, in fact, a god herself? How will Sutekh be defeated? Will Mel come along with the Doctor on further adventures? Will Rose have something to do in this episode? Who is the enigmatic Mrs. Flood? What is up with Susan? Will we have a satisfying conclusion, or even have most of these questions answered?

Find out on iPlayer and Disney+ at midnight BST, or 4 pm PST/7 pm EST in the US!

And feel free to add your rating here (after you’ve watched it):

Select your rating (out of 10):
0 voters
4 Likes

I don’t know about you, but I’m really looking forward to finding out why Sutekh wants to create a special Empire Magazine issue about death.

9 Likes

Actually this is a Star Wars crossover episode featuring Yoda - it’s really “Death of Empire”!

6 Likes

No, no, it’s Empire of Death…

10 Likes

:open_mouth:
That features Queen Victoria!
Torchwood confirmed for the finale! :wink:

8 Likes

RTD did say he’s going to work with Eve Myles again…

8 Likes

No actually it means Clara Oswald confirmed as Ruby’s mother

9 Likes

I thought it was Mrs Flood who was Clara.

Is it the same Clara or 2 separate Clara fragments? :open_mouth:

6 Likes

There is no way any of this storyline will get resolved in a single episode. Prove me wrong, RTD.

7 Likes

I’m awaiting what happens in this episode with bated breath. It’s the make-or-break moment for me continuing to watch.

7 Likes

Not impressed with RTD2?

4 Likes

Nope. Out of the 11 episode of this era, I’ve liked 2, thought 2 were OK, and disliked the rest. And beyond the writing, I have other things I don’t like.

10 Likes

But to be clear, this is my take. I’m glad a lot of people are connecting with the show. It’s just doing nothing for me.

7 Likes

Are you one for making lists? Because I’m a bit curious :wink:

It’s been a bit hit or miss for me so far, I’d say this season is very much on par with the first three RTD seasons for me.

4 Likes

Likewise. I enjoyed Fourteen’s run for the most part, but Fifteen’s run has been extremely hit or miss (the episodes I like, I love; and the episodes I don’t like, I don’t like in the slightest). There are some aspects of what RTD is doing that I’m not jiving with.

I really wanted to like Fifteen (and I’ll continue to champion him), but he and his era just aren’t shaping out the way I’d hoped.

7 Likes

Same feeling - I love Fiften and I want 100000 series with him, and I have really enjoyed some of the season1/14/40 episodes, but I have to say this is exactly what I expected of RTD2. The era has the exact flavour I expected it to, and I don’t dislike that, I just really crave something new for the TV series.

And honestly I live in fear that Fourteen will come back because I feel like it’ll make the wider internet unbearable with going crazy over David Tennant again

12 Likes

Now there’s a prediction. How about 14 comes back for a cameo in Empire of Death to be killed by Sutekh?

9 Likes

Fourteen

• Star Beast - Good (except the ending)
  • Wild Blue Yonder - Bad (I just don’t get it AT ALL)
  • The Giggle - Bad/OK

Fifteen

• The Church on Ruby Road - Bad
  • Space Babies - Bad
  • The Devil’s Chord - Bad
  • Boom - OK
  • 73 Yards - Very Good
  • Dot and Bubble - OK
  • Rogue - Bad
  • The Legend of Ruby Sunday - TBD

As a ranking:

73 Yards
Star Beast
Boom
Dot & Bubble
The Giggle
The Church on Ruby Road
The Devil’s Chord
Rogue
Space Babies
Wild Blue Yonder

12 Likes

I think its more a case of he wants to work with her again rather than anything confirmed. Sorry Torchwood fans lol

4 Likes

yes please! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes