Episode Discussion: Dot and Bubble

So far did 3 rewatches and it just so clear once you see the bigger picture.

4 Likes

Then you deal with how dependent we can become on technology. Something that has plague us as a society as well. How many times have you heard stories of people following their gps blindly just to drive into a house, water or wrong way down a road. Now we have self driving cars, smart houses and even virtual reality taking over the lives of many.

9 Likes

Returning to my first impression after a rewatch has made revalue some things. Admittedly I think I didn’t fully process when I wrote this, I am still not quite sure on the tonal shifts we had but honestly, no, this is easily one of my favorites this Season. The Commentary is a lot to unpack, I won’t lie, i didn’t properly pick it up until the Scene where Lindy was trying to hide from the slug creatures and some of the comments she made towards the Doctor. I didn’t like her before that moment, because she really felt like a spoiled rich kid (which she was) but I have to say big praise to her actress. She did an amazing job with the Material she got given and in general, as I said in my first impression, I was already impressed by the Production and I still stand by it. I think I would be a broken recorder, but turnoftheearth already made some great points in terms of the commentary. I will say I am happy about how it turned it out, it’s rich and shows how well-done this script was written. Signs that something was off were plenty. To that I don’t have much to add because frankly they summarized it up perfectly! I will say I also really like how much commentary there is in terms of social media bubbles. I feel like this Part is quite underrated in my eyes and I am sure I wont do it justice, but moments like when Lindy instead of asking if her Mother is dead, asks if she is gone to the sky are quite chilling.
Overall this one was stellar. Great Performances (dare I say some of the best we have gotten in this Series), great Direction with an overall one of RTD’s most interesting scripts so far. One thing I already mentioned was how happy I am with RTD trying something new and not relying too much on the old hitters, not everything works for me (in general not everything worked for me in RTD1) but I am glad to see that he is doing different stuff with Who.
Another point that turnoftheearth mentioned was the Music, yeah no this was easily Murray Golds best Score in a while, easily his best of RTD2

9 Likes

Thought I’d also add, in great news for Pride Month, that Pete MacHale played Gothic Paul, and is the show’s first trans male actor :tada:

15 Likes

Okay rewatching it knowing they’re racist I see it clearly now, especially that last scene with the Doctor. Don’t know how I missed it tbh, I was so confused as to why they didn’t want the Doctor’s help and that they’re racist just didn’t cross my mind.

7 Likes

Planning on rewatching in a bit, but I have to say, there’s something about this season that feels very classic who/big finish to me

4 Likes

That surely is Doctor Who in a nutshell though. The beauty of the show - and one of it’s unique ‘selling points’ - is surely the fact that the tone/genre can shift from story to story or even from episode to episode in the classic series (something like The Stones of Blood or The Myth Makers for example) have shifts in tone, some quite jarring.

The lack of a ‘consistent’ tone is one of the things I love about the show.

15 Likes

Fascinating reading the comments on this story, particularly the subtle hints towards the racism that I missed but seem so obvious in retrospect. Definitely some commentary on unconscious bias because it didn’t occur to me once that the entire population of Finetime was white - and it makes me feel uncomfortable - just as it should!

I actually really like the idea of a Doctor Who story where we find out we’ve been rooting for a ‘villain’ all along. When Lindy pushed Ricky under the bus, it was genuinely shocking - added to by what was a pretty gratuitous death for him. I know my brain filled in the blanks but the direction was very clever in making us understand precisely where that dot went to kill him!

But the added nasty icing on the cake was the realisation that these people who survived were worse than just vacuous social media-obsessed rich kids…

Lots of lovely touches - Lindy’s inability to walk without arrows, sidestepping bodies, Ruby and the Doctor being in the same room.

If I had any criticism it would be that we’ve only recently had an ‘AI’ gone bad story with Boom to then have Dot revealed to be the ‘mind’ behind the monsters. I also have a couple of unanswered questions about how/why the slugs wiped out the homeworld - was everyone obsessed with their bubbles back home too?

And as much as I’m intrigued by the Susan Twist mystery, it does seem a bit unlike RTD to quite so blatantly plonk ‘she was the ambulance’ into the script although I do wonder if this ‘commented on’ mystery is there to divert attention away from Mrs Flood and Ruby’s background which are bubbling along much more subtley.

12 Likes

Quite enjoyable really :grin:

10 Likes

Yeah that’s the one thing stopping this from being a perfect episode for me.

I honestly thought, when he tried to contact the home world, that we’d find out they sent the slugs or something. Or even a natural predator from the wild area. Anything would have been better than another AI monster. Especially as if it was AI all along, and the dots can kill, why the slugs!? And why kill the parents?

6 Likes

The more I think of the ending the more astonished I am. Ncuti completely sells every aspect of that scene, and it puts “Never cruel or cowardly” at the forefront of who the character is. Because despite who they are, what they think of him and how they treat him, he also understands and sees a society of young people warped by their elders. Never given any opportunity to be anything apart from what they are. Doesn’t that remind you of a certain society of nigh-immortals? It’s in EU canon, but Gallifreyan society is extremely racist at many points in his history.

So it’s so important that he asks them again, even after they reject him so virulently. Because he has had more chances than they have to grow. His TARDIS can take them all, and even though they’re a society of vapid racists who don’t care for him at all, in 15’s position it would still be cruel to leave them to die. Some might argue even cowardly. This is the person who has tried to redeem Davros, the Master. He doesn’t care who you are if he thinks he can save you. And then, when you think that he’s going to harden into contempt at the first rejection, he shows you that no, this is what The Doctor is. It’s a hand out across divides you didn’t think were possible. But it’s also a big ugly look at the world, because isn’t it believable? I don’t buy anyone who thinks that this is going too far in its indictment of modern social media influenced narcissism. It’s such a bold move to not let him win. This is the modern Caves of Androzani moment, and I really hope that we see it have a lasting impact on the show.

14 Likes

I think this is a much stronger AI episode than Boom though, which in comparison almost felt a little half-baked. The idea that the Dot has learned to hate them, that makes so much sense but also functions in a narrative way, because we’re basically in the position of the Dot through so much of the episode, and what do we do by the end? We learn to hate Lindy.

7 Likes

Yes, I suppose so. The slugs are the good guys in the end.

So are all the parents on the home world racists too? And all the poorer people who couldn’t afford to send their kids to the moon? Every living person on the planet was killed by slugs (in alphabetical order! Must have taken a while :sweat_smile:).

I’m just being nitpicky. It was an incredible episode. I can’t wait to watch it again!

7 Likes

I’m going to give the boring Doylist explanation on the slugs. (Awesome creature design by the way :grin:)
The slugs are a part of the social commentary of the story: “Look what people don’t see when their eyes are glued to their phones”

6 Likes

In that case, one of these days I’m gonna get slugged :snail:

6 Likes

I think it’s because the season is so short that I am finding it especially jarring. It’s just impossible to figure out what the show is supposed to be now.

4 Likes

Thinking more on this, I’m feeling increasingly positive on it.

I’ll have to give a rewatch some time.

8 Likes

Watched it this evening. Was good. I might even have some coherent thoughts about it tomorrow. I found it very affecting.

9 Likes

What was it ever supposed to be? An adventure in space and time. It is still that to its very core. Beyond that? I’m not sure it’s every tried to be much else has it? Each story leans in one particular direction depending on what the writer wants to say but sometimes its also just about Steven Moffat saying to RTD - what about it the Doctor steps on a landmine and can’t move for an entire episode? The adventure comes first.

7 Likes
5 Likes