With reviews now being available on Collectables and as we have a thread for discussing Commentaries, it seems apt to also have a thread where we can discuss the many and varied documentary features on the DVD and Bluray releases.
Last week, I watched a really good feature on the making of Vengeance on Varos where Matthew Sweet interviewed, among others, Eric Saward, Philip Martin and Sheila Reid. A really good documentary which actually discussed the story and some it’s controversies in a decent amount of depth.
I’m currently watching the making of documentary about The Dominators - Recharge and Equalise. A really good range of interviewees including Frazer Hines, Henry Lincoln, Giles Block (Teal), Felicity Gibson (Kando) and Arthur Cox (Cully).
But, my goodness Derrick Sherwin is a miserable sod! Openly critical of pretty much everything to do with the story.
10 Likes
It’s been so long since I watched DVD documentaries, but this one left a lasting impression on me because it was so in-depth and detailed, covering the entire Colin Baker era. One of the greats:
https://tardis.wiki/wiki/Trials_and_Tribulations_(documentary)
4 Likes
I rather liked “What has “The Romans” ever done for us?” about both how realistic, or not, the serial The Romans was.
3 Likes
There are a few dvd’s I want to buy for the commentaries. I am struggling to find Classic DVD’s that are available in the United States, but I am kinda excited at the idea that some people can add their reviews of how much these commentaries add to the story
3 Likes
It might be easier to get them if they’re among the seasons that have been released on Blu-ray.
3 Likes
Rewatched this last night and it’s just as good as I remember. It’s a rollercoaster, and quite candid. Some of the words by Colin really strike a chord.
I also recommend “Showman: The Life of John Nathan-Turner” on the Season 26 blu-ray for an in-depth documentary about JNT – his life before, during and beyond Doctor Who.
3 Likes
I’ve watched the war games one obviously, this is how I know that they filmed at Brighton junkyard. And that Frazer was over the moon to be riding a stunt horse for a single scene. It also had Terrance dicks there.
I’ve also watched half of a special they put on the s1 dvd about the Christmas invasion, but that disc also has all of s1 of doctor who confidential
3 Likes
This also reminded me that I left disc two (technically one of the og) of war games in my Xbox and haven’t finished the commentary but it actually remembered the place I was at sooooo I’ll get back to that :)
1 Like