Due Introduction

I’ve been here for a couple weeks, but I absolutely suck at introductions so it’s taken me til now to post here. I first heard of Doctor Who in 2005 during Eccleston’s short run because it overlapped with a Jurassic Park community I was in, but I didn’t immediately watch it. Over the years, I would catch a couple episodes here and there just channel flipping (Doctor Who aired on the same channel that I watched Star Trek, Supernatural, Primeval and Being Human on). I remember watching Gridlock and The Poison Sky prior to getting into the show just because they were on.

Eventually, I got into Doctor Who in 2010 when I picked up the DVD boxsets for Series 4 and 5 at a local video thrift store. I don’t really remember what it was that made me pick up the show, I think I saw one Matt Smith episode beforehand and really enjoyed it and that was enough to invest in the show. I watched Series 5 first and binged the whole season in two days. The first episode had me hooked and the finale blew my mind.

Saw Series 6 and 7 on TV as they aired as well as the 2013 specials (and lost my sh*t when Night of the Doctor premiered on YouTube), unfortunately ended up missing The Day of the Doctor and Deep Breath when they premiered in movie theaters, but I did see Deep Breath early. Kinda fell off during Series 8 though because I no longer had cable television and it wasn’t on any streaming services at the time, so I was always doing catch-up on Doctor Who until the Chibnall/Whittaker era.

Big fan of Torchwood as well, even Miracle Day, which was actually my introduction to the series. Around 2019, I got into Big Finish as well, McGann has since become by-and-far my favorite incarnation of The Doctor, which from the other introductions I saw here is a common sentiment which I adore. Close second is probably Pertwee, his era of ClassicWho is by and far the most enjoyable in my opinion, I know it’s heretical but I found most of the Tom Baker stories I’ve seen to be underwhelming and I miss the dynamic of The Doctor with Brigadier/UNIT. Liz Shaw is also a great and underrated companion.

19 Likes

Welcome! Fear not, heretical opinions are very welcome here (and you’re right anyway, Tom Baker isn’t the be all and end all of everything!!)

5 Likes

Welcome!

See, introductions are easy!

I love how it seemed like you were destined to be a Doctor Who fan but things kept getting in the way! Glad you’re here now :blush:

3 Likes

Hi there. Welcome to the site and forum.

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @ThePatchedVest - great to have you here.

2 Likes